Working for Disney is bad?

Quentin Disney

I work in Merchandise. Not really considered a "glamorus" job to do around here when compared to attractions or entertainment, but I still think that I'm making a difference to the guests. Sure, many of you folks moan and groan over the abundance of merchandise here, but to some guests, that Mickey plush or T-Shirt will be a small memento of their visit to the resort. A connection to the magic they experienced. A reason to think about Disney.

O.K. So I'm sounding a bit cheesy, but the things I have to say about my role here at the Walt Disney World resort are true and honest. I felt like hiding under the keyboard once again 'cause I was worried about giving out my opinion of working here would affect my job but I decided to forget that.

IMO, working in merchandise for the most part is very easy. If you have good knowledge of what you are selling to the guests, you won't have any major problems. However, when a guest asks about whether we carry something that is out of stock (i,e; Stitch) I try my best to give them alternatives in finding what they are looking for.

I don't really come across any troublesome guests very often, but when I do, it is quite a tenseful situation for me. You get a lot of Guests asking you where things are (like items and attractions). When you starting out, this can be very difficult. However, there are CMs that are really helpful in my area and you'll eventually learn where things are.

As for the pay, coming into play as a Cast Member, I KNEW I wasn't going to get paid alot, especially at CR (Part-Time). However, the benefits make it worthwhile to work here. I wouldn't fully depend on a Disney paycheck, especially if you are in an entry-level role and trying to support a family. I'm single, going to college right now and working another job to keep me afloat. I do quite have a commute since I live in the UCF area, but for the most part it is rather smooth (even on 1-4, I don't know why so many people complain about it).

I really haven't been around that long to say if working here is bad or not. So far, the positive experiences outweigh the negative, so I hope to at least stay here 'til I get out of school.

cm1988

Been by there...

Originally posted by 2much2do
What can any of you locals tell me about Azalea park??????
It's a suburban area East of downtown O-town. State Route 436 (Semoran Blvd.) a major North-South artery, and 408 (the "East-West" toll road) and both adjacent. I think its fairly small lots and not many trees, but still a pleasant neighborhood.

I've only seen the houses visible off 436, so maybe another local yokel could give you better information.

You may want to check Mapquest.com to see what else is nearby.

Merlin0402

Original Poster
WOW. Thank You guys so much! I never realized that there were people who could help me out with this in a million years. You guys have given me a much more realistic, but still positive, outlook on this and I can't say thank you enough. I'm not nearly as nervous as before and now I feel like I know what to expect. Again, Thank You!

epcot71

Originally posted by Quentin Disney
I work in Merchandise. Not really considered a "glamorus" job to do around here when compared to attractions or entertainment, but I still think that I'm making a difference to the guests. Sure, many of you folks moan and groan over the abundance of merchandise here, but to some guests, that Mickey plush or T-Shirt will be a small memento of their visit to the resort. A connection to the magic they experienced. A reason to think about Disney.

O.K. So I'm sounding a bit cheesy, but the things I have to say about my role here at the Walt Disney World resort are true and honest. I felt like hiding under the keyboard once again 'cause I was worried about giving out my opinion of working here would affect my job but I decided to forget that.

IMO, working in merchandise for the most part is very easy. If you have good knowledge of what you are selling to the guests, you won't have any major problems. However, when a guest asks about whether we carry something that is out of stock (i,e; Stitch) I try my best to give them alternatives in finding what they are looking for.

I don't really come across any troublesome guests very often, but when I do, it is quite a tenseful situation for me. You get a lot of Guests asking you where things are (like items and attractions). When you starting out, this can be very difficult. However, there are CMs that are really helpful in my area and you'll eventually learn where things are.

As for the pay, coming into play as a Cast Member, I KNEW I wasn't going to get paid alot, especially at CR (Part-Time). However, the benefits make it worthwhile to work here. I wouldn't fully depend on a Disney paycheck, especially if you are in an entry-level role and trying to support a family. I'm single, going to college right now and working another job to keep me afloat. I do quite have a commute since I live in the UCF area, but for the most part it is rather smooth (even on 1-4, I don't know why so many people complain about it).

I really haven't been around that long to say if working here is bad or not. So far, the positive experiences outweigh the negative, so I hope to at least stay here 'til I get out of school.

im glad u touched on a valid point about pay- a new cast member is told how much u will be paid per hour or if ur salary how much per week-at that point that person has a choice to take the job or go elsewhere if the pay isnt enough.u have a very good outlook on ur role it seems like-disney is a job working for a corporation and liek any others u will have jerk bosses and stressful days but from what i here from freinds who work for the mouse the positive outways the negative

cruiseman

Good experience

Ya know that certainly is one persons opinion. I have worked for disney for 4 years in the store and on the cruiseline and have nothing but good things to say. Think about it what kind of mood are you in when you go to WDW. I love serving vacationers and i would never have traded my experience for anything. You make your job fun. Also i am looking into bying a house in Orlando and it is cheeeeeeeeeeep. If you stay on the WDW resort heck ya its expensive even the gas, but Orlando is a very resonable place to live.

Jim

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom