Workers want pay boost

CDavid

Well you can raise minimum wage to a point, but that increases the cost of every product that uses low income workers. In an oversimplified example the CM who gets bumped up to $10 or $15 an hour now would have the disposable income to go out to a sit down dinner to celebrate his or her raise. Only problem is that $9.99 burger and fries at the local chain restaurant he wanted to order now costs $25. Disappointed, he heads to McDonalds to get some of his usual fast food but the value meals are all now over $10 too. .

As already noted, a significant (and necessary) increase in the minimum wage will produce some increase in prices passed along to the consumer, but most people tend to grossly overstate this. A increase of, for instance, a quarter for a McDonalds meal is perhaps realistic, but to hear people tell it, you would think something on the dollar menu would see a 300% increase ($3 or more)! Still, your basic point is sound - a wage increase is desirable for the greater good.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As already noted, a significant (and necessary) increase in the minimum wage will produce some increase in prices passed along to the consumer, but most people tend to grossly overstate this. A increase of, for instance, a quarter for a McDonalds meal is perhaps realistic, but to hear people tell it, you would think something on the dollar menu would see a 300% increase ($3 or more)!
I agree that it wouldn't need to be an increase of 300%. Let's say for example that a $5 value meal goes up a quarter like your example. That represents a 5% increase in the price. Doesn't seem bad, but if all of your expenses go up 5% and your wages don't it could have an impact. For someone making say $10 or $12 an hour now who wouldn't benefit from an increase in minimum wage that increase could hurt.

The $0.25 number is interesting. McDonalds had $27.5B in revenues last year so a 5% increase in prices would generate about $1.4B in extra revenue. Spread amongst 1.4 million employees that's roughly $1,000 a head. You would probably need a little more to make a difference, but that number includes international employees. I'm thinking if minimum wage went to $10 they might need to hike the price up closer to $1 but it's still nothing like tripling it.

lazyboy97o

As already noted, a significant (and necessary) increase in the minimum wage will produce some increase in prices passed along to the consumer, but most people tend to grossly overstate this. A increase of, for instance, a quarter for a McDonalds meal is perhaps realistic, but to hear people tell it, you would think something on the dollar menu would see a 300% increase ($3 or more)! Still, your basic point is sound - a wage increase is desirable for the greater good.
That though only works in some scenarios. Other costs will jump more significantly, especially at smaller businesses and those not working at such volumes. Even if the increases in prices at someplace like McDonalds are relatively small, the poor are the ones most dependent on fast food so those new prices have a bigger impact. If just raising wages worked it would have been done successfully somewhere.

JerseyDad

.....is it stated anywhere ...what exactly is the starting or average hourly wage of the WDW CM's?

.....is it the same as the national minimum wage?

.....if that's the case ....then that's not a "living wage" (ie: one meant to be able to support a family which is more than one person, pay rent, make car payments ...etc). I understand the 'want' for higher pay ....but when someone goes on camera ...and expresses a 'need' to support a family / household on a minimum wage job, there's a whole other issue going on there that's not going to be solved with a $1 or $2 per hour increase.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
.....is it stated anywhere ...what exactly is the starting or average hourly wage of the WDW CM's?

.....if that's the case ....then that's not a "living wage" (ie: one meant to be able to support a family which is more than one person, pay rent, make car payments ...etc). I understand the 'want' for higher pay ....but when someone goes on camera ...and expresses a 'need' to support a family / household on a minimum wage job, there's a whole other issue going on there that's not going to be solved with a $1 or $2 per hour increase.
According to the article I read the unions in question represent about 37,000 of the 65,000 employees at WDW. They state that 2/3 of their members make less than the $10.10 per hour that Obama suggested should be the minimum wage. That's 20,000+ people making $8 or $9 an hour.

raymusiccity

According to the article I read the unions in question represent about 37,000 of the 65,000 employees at WDW. They state that 2/3 of their members make less than the $10.10 per hour that Obama suggested should be the minimum wage. That's 20,000+ people making $8 or $9 an hour.
It's a slippery slope. All 'right to work' States are faring better than those allowing Union representation. Not many people are hoping they could get a job in Detroit! A job flipping burgers was never meant to support a family. If that's your goal in life, you'll definitely need a second or third job as many have in previous generations. You need a 'boot strap' outlook if you want to better yourself.

JerseyDad

....like I said .....if someone is solely dependent on a minimum wage job to try and support more than just themselves ...then there is a larger issue at hand. The issue being ...it really can't, or in most cases, shouldn't be expected to be a successful endeavor.

....of course ...no one is in any position to tell anyone else how they should live ...or try to live.

....$8, $9 or $10 dollar / hour jobs are more well suited for the student or beginner in the workforce, or, the retiree ....looking to bolster a fixed income that's based on a pension or retirement savings.

draybook

I've been on the WDW jobs site and the highest offering I saw was something like $10.50 an hour, but that was for an IT spot or Security. For an attractions position I believe it was $8 or maybe $8.50. I can't imagine ANYONE being able to live off of that.

Tonka's Skipper

Ford, knew the assembly line work was hard and yes he raised the pay to improve productivity. He also build a state of the art, airy, heated. lighted and well designed plant to help production.

All these things also make it better for the workers and for the company. He didn't have to do all this to improve profits. He did it for his workers and to have a loyal work force. All this is called *TEAM* effort. The team being the employees on the line, management and the company working together.

Gee............maybe some of todays companies could take a lesson from Ford???........sadly the bean counters are often not that smart........look as Iger!

AKK

Tonka's Skipper

It's a slippery slope. All 'right to work' States are faring better than those allowing Union representation. Not many people are hoping they could get a job in Detroit! A job flipping burgers was never meant to support a family. If that's your goal in life, you'll definitely need a second or third job as many have in previous generations. You need a 'boot strap' outlook if you want to better yourself.

I am afraid I disagree............true it was never meant to be a great job but back in the 50's, 60's even 70's it was possible to live with a family on a food service job, but not any more, not even alone.

Hell now with Obamacare, its hard to find a full time job.................

AKK

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have to say, I'm impressed with the level headed and respectful back and forth here. I expected a lock a while ago. It is possible to talk about a hot button topic without people getting all worked up and attacking each other. Good job everyone:)

Back on topic. I think if you have 25,000 people in an area working for under $10/hr at least some of them are trying to earn a living. There are probably a percentage that are kids with limited responsibility or who may be getting help from mom and dad but there are many who probably are supporting themselves and/or a family. People live in dive motels that rent rooms daily because they can't afford an actual apartment, they eat when they can, they get by somehow. Many probably do work a 2nd job. Bumping them up from $8 to $10 isn't going to solve all of their problems, but it could at least be enough to get them into better living conditions and provide some cushion for living.

Like I said, an increase like that is going to hit all of us. If it happened they would likely jack prices up (even more than normal). I personally would be OK with that if it was really going back to the CMs. Right now the price increases seem to be only going to the executives and shareholders.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If anyone wants to see the current pay rates, look at the current contract starting on page 50. There is a lot different classifications and pay rates

http://local385.org/characters/Final FT STCU (Not Bold).pdf
Interesting. Thanks for posting. There aren't many jobs at minimum wage (I think its $7.95 in FL now) but a lot not much above it.

All I could think about is how much the lawyers got paid to pull this huge contract together:confused:

DisneyCane

One thing I will say is that paying more doesn't automatically get you better or more productive employees. A few years ago I owned a small chain of movie theatres. I went into the business with the attitude that if I paid my managers and assistant managers well, they will be honest, loyal and work hard to build and improve my business.

I ended up with exactly 2 people where the theory worked (one each at 2 locations). The other 4 locations as well as prior management at those two locations got me the same lazy and in some cases dishonest employees that I could have gotten paying 50% less.

The minimum wage is an interesting debate. My biggest issue is that it should be separated into two pieces. High School students working so they can go out with their friends don't need a "living wage."

As far as minimum wage increasing inflation, it isn't as simple as looking at the payroll increase for minimum wage workers and calculating how much McDonalds will increase prices to cover it. Raising the minimum wage creates a new baseline and then the higher paid workers will see their pay increased as well, adding more to the payroll increase. That's why the labor unions (which don't tend to have membership making minimum wage) support increases. Right now, somebody making $20 an hour is making 2.6 times minimum. If minimum goes to $10.10 they are only making 1.98 times minimum. The unions will argue that the $20 an hour worker needs to be bumped to $26 an hour. This is a 30% increase in their pay. If a companies payroll goes up even close to 30%, there will definitely be significant price increases. These increases may wipe out the increase for the very minimum wage workers that it was meant to help.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One thing I will say is that paying more doesn't automatically get you better or more productive employees. A few years ago I owned a small chain of movie theatres. I went into the business with the attitude that if I paid my managers and assistant managers well, they will be honest, loyal and work hard to build and improve my business.

I ended up with exactly 2 people where the theory worked (one each at 2 locations). The other 4 locations as well as prior management at those two locations got me the same lazy and in some cases dishonest employees that I could have gotten paying 50% less.

The minimum wage is an interesting debate. My biggest issue is that it should be separated into two pieces. High School students working so they can go out with their friends don't need a "living wage."

As far as minimum wage increasing inflation, it isn't as simple as looking at the payroll increase for minimum wage workers and calculating how much McDonalds will increase prices to cover it. Raising the minimum wage creates a new baseline and then the higher paid workers will see their pay increased as well, adding more to the payroll increase. That's why the labor unions (which don't tend to have membership making minimum wage) support increases. Right now, somebody making $20 an hour is making 2.6 times minimum. If minimum goes to $10.10 they are only making 1.98 times minimum. The unions will argue that the $20 an hour worker needs to be bumped to $26 an hour. This is a 30% increase in their pay. If a companies payroll goes up even close to 30%, there will definitely be significant price increases. These increases may wipe out the increase for the very minimum wage workers that it was meant to help.
Plus the baseline may not go up for everyone. That's part of the slippery slope. Let's say someone makes $11/hour now. If minimum wage goes to $10.10 there is no guarantee the $11 employee gets anything out of that, but their cost of living will go up some. The McDonalds thing was just an oversimplified example, but if the value meals go up $1 because of minimum wage increases and this guy eats there regularly it's an increased cost. The unions may be able to fight for higher wages for all of their workers but there are lots of non-union workers who wouldn't get those same concessions.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I believe it truly depends on the position. When I was entertaining the idea of interning at WDW, we were being offered 15 dollars an hour, 22 dollars an hour if we had less that 8 between shifts and for over time. But I'm sure that hourly wage is dependent on what position you are hired for.

copcarguyp71

I had a similar situation with a senior employee who felt he was worth more. I gave him a healthy bump up hoping he would step up and become a team leader. In the end his productivity dropped and I ended up catching him on video multiple times surfing on his smart phone for quite a bit of the day and taking hour and a half lunches while still only putting a half hour down on his timecard. I was actually in this kids wedding and we were friends outside of work so maybe that had something to do with it too but ultimately I had to let him go and the damage he did to morale before he left is still a battle I am fighting in the shop.

A large portion of today's workforce seems to have lost touch with the fact that they need to provide services equivalent in kind to the amount of pay. So many think that because they show up on a daily basis that you owe them a living. Sorry for the cynicism folks but it is really how this small business owner sees it.

jlsHouston

The wage scale is off. 20 years ago when I was young and single I worked as a grocery store clerk/cashier making $8/hour. I was able to rent a nice 1 bdrm apartment for $295/month and things like groceries, cars, and gas where much much cheaper so I could live alone. Now, 20 years later the clerks are still getting $8/hour but the cost of living has at least doubled. That same 1 bdrm apartment that I lived in is not only 20 years older but also now goes for $610/month. Not to mention food and gas prices. There needs to be more of a balance between cost of living and minimum wages. It is an unlivable wage and today's young people should be able to do what we did, work and live and be able to support themselves while going to school (even part time school).

I've been on the WDW jobs site and the highest offering I saw was something like $10.50 an hour, but that was for an IT spot or Security. For an attractions position I believe it was $8 or maybe $8.50. I can't imagine ANYONE being able to live off of that.

In 1985 I worked as a Pharmacy Tech at a small hospital. I was hired on at $8.21/hour. I had no idea WDW was paying wages this absurd in 2014.

jlsHouston

I am afraid I disagree............true it was never meant to be a great job but back in the 50's, 60's even 70's it was possible to live with a family on a food service job, but not any more, not even alone.

Hell now with Obamacare, its hard to find a full time job.................

AKK

I kind of agree with what you are saying here. Maybe not the flipping burgers position but I know my boyfriend raised a family of 4 in the 70's and 80's on basically an hourly job that was a couple of bucks higher than the minimum wage was over that 20 year span.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom