Workers want pay boost

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disney certainly is big enough to support a 'company town' but let's be real... In today's me me me society expecting everything, who would be willing to live in a home in homogenized housing like a company town and not still about it? Or suing over something petty?

The old company towns were often slanted towards the company but at least people were satisfied with a shot at a reasonable stable life

With so many of Disney's front line CM's being recent immigrants I think the demographics just might work, Your points are well taken but Disney seems to employ better sharks than the ones that chase ambulances.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This strikes me as the sort of thing that the Disney company could once have done very well. Just as Disneyland stood in stark contrast to a dirty, even sleazy amusement park - a Disney housing development ("in the spirit of Epcot") even for lower income groups could demonstrate how things should be done. Someplace Disney CM's would be proud to call home, and both they and Disney would benefit financially.

Note I said something Disney could once have done. I have far less confidence in the modern Walt Disney Company that it would turn out nearly as well. Still, I like the idea.

I share your lack of faith in today's TWDC, That being said the possibility exists to make this happen, Sort of Celebration II workforce housing done right. Disney could probably even get grants to make this happen and they could go further and make this 'green' workforce housing - solar power and hot water etc.

IF Disney did this right they could once again grab a leadership position in industrial relations which would help their bottom line and public image as well as contribute to a happier workforce which would pay benefits to everyone.

lazyboy97o

I share your lack of faith in today's TWDC, That being said the possibility exists to make this happen, Sort of Celebration II workforce housing done right. Disney could probably even get grants to make this happen and they could go further and make this 'green' workforce housing - solar power and hot water etc.
Greener housing definitely becomes interesting because there are higher upfront costs but lower operational costs. Traditional developers want to break even as quickly as possible but corporate housing, with the right leadership, could take a longer view.

Mouse_Trap

They have plenty of land. Just build a complex on property somewhere. Having affordable living would also lead to more employee loyalty and possibly better productivity. Fear of losing your job and getting kicked out of your apartment too could be a big motivator. I am way out of my league here and have no clue about the logistics of actually doing this, but it seems there is a need and even if Disney just broke even it would be a benefit to recruiting and employee retention. At those income levels some of the people may even qualify for government assistance. Disney could build a giant section 8 housing project. Imagine the bad press that would bring.

Looking through the link either here on on another thread about the RCID 2020 Comprehensive Plan, it seems that there isn't actually that much land available, certainly not land that isn't earmarked for future development and isn't conservation land. I don't recall seeing anything about providing mass employee housing mentioned either.

On the pay side of things, posted earlier local385.org/characters/Final%20FT%20STCU%20(Not%20Bold).pdf shows all the pay scales.

Page 57 details all the current rates:
(Effective 
3/31/2013) so presumable there is a minor increase due in a few weeks

Job Title Min Max
ATTRACTION
H/H $8.15 $13.57

Presumably then, there is a way a entry level employee on close to minimum wage progresses up towards the maximum for the job, therefore up to 66.5% more than starting salary. I don't know how difficult these raises are to achieve in practise or how many years it takes, but at face value doesn't this offer the kind of progression many here have said should take place?

maxairmike

Looking through the link either here on on another thread about the RCID 2020 Comprehensive Plan, it seems that there isn't actually that much land available, certainly not land that isn't earmarked for future development and isn't conservation land. I don't recall seeing anything about providing mass employee housing mentioned either.

On the pay side of things, posted earlier local385.org/characters/Final%20FT%20STCU%20(Not%20Bold).pdf shows all the pay scales.

(Effective 

Job Title Min Max
ATTRACTION
H/H $8.15 $13.57

Presumably then, there is a way a entry level employee on close to minimum wage progresses up towards the maximum for the job, therefore up to 66.5% more than starting salary. I don't know how difficult these raises are to achieve in practise or how many years it takes, but at face value doesn't this offer the kind of progression many here have said should take place?

To answer the question of how long it takes to get to that max earning level, I believe the last I heard was like 15 years to get up to that level.

As to the first point/question, the housing section of the RCID plan has always been a big joke to me. They have the ability, they can reclassify land if they really wanted to and add to their preserve around Lake Russell. My first thought for an area for such a development would be a portion of the land originally set to be the home of the "airport of the future" under the original EPCOT land, which is at the 192/World Dr. exit. Away from the parks so it isn't like there's a random housing development out of place disrupting things, but still right where there would be easy access for both drivers and those who take public transport to work. Close to supermarkets, a hospital and other healthcare locations, etc.

lazyboy97o

(Effective 

Job Title Min Max
ATTRACTION
H/H $8.15 $13.57

To answer the question of how long it takes to get to that max earning level, I believe the last I heard was like 15 years to get up to that level.

As to the first point/question, the housing section of the RCID plan has always been a big joke to me. They have the ability, they can reclassify land if they really wanted to and add to their preserve around Lake Russell. My first thought for an area for such a development would be a portion of the land originally set to be the home of the "airport of the future" under the original EPCOT land, which is at the 192/World Dr. exit. Away from the parks so it isn't like there's a random housing development out of place disrupting things, but still right where there would be easy access for both drivers and those who take public transport to work. Close to supermarkets, a hospital and other healthcare locations, etc.
There will never be permanent large scale housing inside the Reedy Creek Improvement District. The residents of such a complex would have the right to vote and run for office within the District, which Disney would never allow nor could they ever solve when EPCOT was still being considered. IF (and that is a big if) Walt Disney World was to get into the corporate housing game, it would not necessarily have to build at Walt Disney World. Other areas might be better in terms of offering people more than a traditional company town, especially if the goal is to try and be a stronger part of the community.

maxairmike

There will never be permanent large scale housing inside the Reedy Creek Improvement District. The residents of such a complex would have the right to vote and run for office within the District, which Disney would never allow nor could they ever solve when EPCOT was still being considered. IF (and that is a big if) Walt Disney World was to get into the corporate housing game, it would not necessarily have to build at Walt Disney World. Other areas might be better in terms of offering people more than a traditional company town, especially if the goal is to try and be a stronger part of the community.

Actually, I forgot that that particular area was deannexed from the District along with the rest of the land in the Celebration deal, so they wouldn't have to worry about the voting rights issue, or wetlands mitigation.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

As I recall the RCID has NO residents at all and if Disney were to create a residential complex they would probably create a township from scratch like Celebration which would not be part of the RCID.

lazyboy97o

As I recall the RCID has NO residents at all and if Disney were to create a residential complex they would probably create a township from scratch like Celebration which would not be part of the RCID.
There are a select few who live in the Reedy Creek Improvement District. They are the ones who are able to hold the public offices associated with the District and vote as well.

Creating a new town/complex would be awful unless Disney was only focused on themselves. The greater area needs smarter growth and development, another subdivision will not help with this issue. Integration, not isolation, is stronger.

Mouse_Trap

It has about 20 residents iirc. It does say in the document somewhere, all to do with voting rights well documented elsewhere.

However, any RCID plans would cover such as development if such was being considered to be constructed in the land under its control. It would then be annexed prior to occupation, just like Celebration - the land would have been included in older RCID plans....then such area was annexed prior to its occupation.

flynnibus

Premium Member

they exist.. in bay lake and LBV... but all are company people there on leases.

SoupBone

I have no idea where we are in the discussion process of this thread (27 pages in), but I'm all for increasing worker wages in the parks as well as increases in ticket prices (to a reasonable extent) IF that means an increase in both service and overall experience. The overall parks experience has noticeable declined in the last several years, and this might provide a needed boost. If tickets prices were to go up by $5 a person per day, and the overall experience increased (ride maintenance, burnt bulbs, worker morale, etc.), I could certainly save a few more dollars by planning my trips far enough in advance to make sure I can cover it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have no idea where we are in the discussion process of this thread (27 pages in), but I'm all for increasing worker wages in the parks as well as increases in ticket prices (to a reasonable extent) IF that means an increase in both service and overall experience. The overall parks experience has noticeable declined in the last several years, and this might provide a needed boost. If tickets prices were to go up by $5 a person per day, and the overall experience increased (ride maintenance, burnt bulbs, worker morale, etc.), I could certainly save a few more dollars by planning my trips far enough in advance to make sure I can cover it.
I'm not sure if there is a direct correlation between the decline and employee wages. A lot of the decline has more to do with cutting jobs or hours and eliminating services altogether. It could improve worker morale. I agree with you that I would be willing to pay a little more, but only if the money really went to the employees. The last few years we have seen ticket price increases around 7%. The CM pay increase was a fraction of that.

Nubs70

Contrast and compare the wealth, possessions of those at the poverty line in the U.S. to those around the world at their indigenous poverty line.

Disneydreamer23

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the cost of living low in Florida I live in Chicago rent a 2 bed room house and pay 1,000 and I make 10/hour I know some one in Fl that pays 800 that owns a huge house? Some one explain

Potter

You people do realize that those who have low incomes are not only exempt of having to pay income taxes but they are also getting back a windfall at tax time ($4,000 to $9,000). Perhaps if the underserved would use this taxpayer funded money for everyday expenses (like it was intended) instead of a trip to Disney, they wouldn’t need a raise (not to mention the parks would not be as crowded and there wouldn’t be a moron wearing a NASCAR tank top and chewing with his mouth open sitting next to you at Narcoossee’s).

Last edited:

copcarguyp71

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the cost of living low in Florida I live in Chicago rent a 2 bed room house and pay 1,000 and I make 10/hour I know some one in Fl that pays 800 that owns a huge house? Some one explain

Possibly elsewhere in rural FL but certainly not anywhere within a reasonable drive to working at the world. I recently hired a new employee who relocated from Port St Lucie in FL ( close to Ft Lauderdale) and when doing comparisons in cost of living during salary negotiations the difference between there and where we are which is a suburb of Philadelphia the cost of living difference was negligible. Houses here typically go from $1800/month on up...I am sure that is not realistic on Disney pay rates.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You people do realize that those who have low incomes are not only exempt of having to pay income taxes but they are also getting back a windfall at tax time ($4,000 to $9,000). Perhaps if the underserved would use this taxpayer funded money for everyday expenses (like it was intended) instead of a trip to Disney, they wouldn’t need a raise (not to mention the parks would not be as crowded and there wouldn’t be a moron wearing a NASCAR tank top and chewing with his mouth open sitting next to you at Narcoossee’s).

I think you missed the point of this discussion. We are talking about the people who work at WDW not the guests. I doubt that CMs are spending $4,000 to $9,000 on a trip to WDW when they already live there and get into the parks for free.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom