word on the street!!

brkgnews

It would be interesting for anyone to build a theme park off I-20 east, especially since Six Flags is already off I-20 West. I agree with the other folks, though... if Disney were to be the owner of the park, well, as Clark Griswold said, "I could wake up with my head sewn to the pillow and I wouldn't be any more surprised." Extreeeeeeeemely unlikely.

However -- if it were to happen, sign me up!

raven

To build a theme park in Georgia would seem weird to me. Georgia and Florida are right next to each other. Maybe they are going to use the space for offices or something.

dandaman

Cedar Fair, L.P., doesn't have a park in the Southeast. This could be their idea for a Southeastern extension for all of the tourists "stopping by" on the way to the more Southern states.

Kaity'sDad

I'm an attorney with connections to government officials in Atlanta, and this is an issue that has reared its head recently. At this point only initial feelers have been sent out from "consultants" loosely connected with Disney (I imagine to maintain deniability). The conversations are not regarding a park, however. The possible development discussed consists of a hotel/resort, coupled with retail space and a few golf courses. The thoughts are plausable from a couple of perspectives. On the hotel end, Atlanta is a destination city, regularly hosting several sporting events (multiple Super Bowls, men's and women's NCAA Final Fours, NASCAR races, NBA and NHL All-Star Races, several PGA tour events). From the retail perspective, Atlanta is the largest city in the South, and anyone who has ever driven through here knows that if traveling through the South, you are probably going through Atlanta. Finally, from the golf course perspective, Atlanta specifically, and Georgia in general is becoming a real golf destination (for example, the Reynolds Plantation courses hosted President Bush as he and the Vice President played golf last year with some of their biggest contributors, and don't forget the Masters in Augusta). The interesting point is that in Georgia, because of very strict Sunshine Laws, negotiations between government officials and prospective businesses must be made public. There is a bill now in the Georgia General Assembly that would change this law, and make those negotiations secret (right now only Georgia and West Virginia have laws requiring such negotiations be made public). The "consultants" I mentioned earlier are big supporters of the bill to make such negotiations secret. Take from that what you will.

Now that I'm done spilling my guts on the information I do have, let me interject my own intuition. This is something that is very far down the pike, and in the EARLIEST stages at this point. Knowing what I know about Disney (my family are annual passholders, and we've been to WDW four times in the last calendar year), from what I've heard and seen, I think this may be a potential DVC location in the future. I know that after the lukewarm response to Hilton Head, there is hesitancy to extend DVC outside of the WDW area, but lukewarm would be a good description of the pace of the events in Georgia now. I'm afraid this may be the property version of Fire Mountain. "The best laid plans of mice and men are oft to go awry."

Shaman

I doubt Disney would build another park anywhere in the southeast....doesn't make ANY sense...they want people to go to WDW...

Shaman

Kaity'sDad said:
I'm an attorney with connections to government officials in Atlanta, and this is an issue that has reared its head recently. At this point only initial feelers have been sent out from "consultants" loosely connected with Disney (I imagine to maintain deniability). The conversations are not regarding a park, however. The possible development discussed consists of a hotel/resort, coupled with retail space and a few golf courses. The thoughts are plausable from a couple of perspectives. On the hotel end, Atlanta is a destination city, regularly hosting several sporting events (multiple Super Bowls, men's and women's NCAA Final Fours, NASCAR races, NBA and NHL All-Star Races, several PGA tour events). From the retail perspective, Atlanta is the largest city in the South, and anyone who has ever driven through here knows that if traveling through the South, you are probably going through Atlanta. Finally, from the golf course perspective, Atlanta specifically, and Georgia in general is becoming a real golf destination (for example, the Reynolds Plantation courses hosted President Bush as he and the Vice President played golf last year with some of their biggest contributors, and don't forget the Masters in Augusta). The interesting point is that in Georgia, because of very strict Sunshine Laws, negotiations between government officials and prospective businesses must be made public. There is a bill now in the Georgia General Assembly that would change this law, and make those negotiations secret (right now only Georgia and West Virginia have laws requiring such negotiations be made public). The "consultants" I mentioned earlier are big supporters of the bill to make such negotiations secret. Take from that what you will.

Intresting bit of information...thanks for sharing...I definetely can see the whole resort/shopping complex/golf thing happening...I would imagine if it works, more will sprout in the years ahead in different areas in the country...

speck76

daguru said:
Disney does not make scense some times.

On one hand, they build more parks (particularly overseas) to attrack visitors there. While the other hand complains and can not figure out why they are not getting as many foreign visitors as they used to get.

The majority of asian people are propably going to attend parks in Tokyo and others in the Far East, instead of coming to WDW (although there is still a large amount coming, just because it is WDW). Especially when they hear the people who go to WDW want to see the rides and attractions at the Tokyo parks (the ones that are not exact replicas).

Building a park in North Georgia, Virginia, or any where else is going to do nothing but severly decrease the number of guests at their other parks (and then complain about the lower attendence numbers).

Disney needs to stop adding more parks and work on improving their existing parks. Better attractions, cutting edge rides, and dedication to their existing parks would make them more attractive to vacationers and bring the crowds back.

Asian visitors have never been a big influence in Orlando......they have never come in masses to Orlando, nor will they ever.

WDC built Disneyland Paris, but that did not have a major influence on the amount of European visitors to Orlando.

Typically, for international visitors, WDW is a small part of a long trip. Most visitors from the UK stay 10-14 nights.......and they tend to visit "Florida", not just WDW.

speck76

Kaity'sDad said:

Now that I'm done spilling my guts on the information I do have, let me interject my own intuition. This is something that is very far down the pike, and in the EARLIEST stages at this point. Knowing what I know about Disney (my family are annual passholders, and we've been to WDW four times in the last calendar year), from what I've heard and seen, I think this may be a potential DVC location in the future. I know that after the lukewarm response to Hilton Head, there is hesitancy to extend DVC outside of the WDW area, but lukewarm would be a good description of the pace of the events in Georgia now. I'm afraid this may be the property version of Fire Mountain. "The best laid plans of mice and men are oft to go awry."

If anyone remembers an investor meeting from last year, WDC made mention that they were exploring "weekend concepts".

Weekend concepts probably include golf resorts, ski resorts.....stuff like that.

Chernabog

I for one (being a Georgia native) am not the least bit surprised to hear that any company (esp Disney) might be considering property for more weekend revenues. I agree that the odds of Disney building another park are like 0 to never, however I do think the ideas of a golf course, DVC resort are very likely. Despite what many others may think across the country, Georgia is not a state populated by hicks and rednecks. It has become a very large metropolis area and will continue to, probably until Atlanta grows to the gulf and Savannah (I feel like an evil laugh should go here for world domination ro something :lol: ) Any company looking to make money in the south is wise to place an attraction of some sort near Atlanta. With no natural boundaries to stop it's growth (mountains, rivers, ocean, etc) the cit will continue to grow. This only means that...There's hope yet for me to get a decent paying job in the recreation field! :sohappy:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Thrawn said:
Get a clue before you post....... But thanks for trying.
SLAM! better pick yourself up off the ground and dust off you back on that one. apply ice, then heat, then take 2 advil :lol:

totally agree with others, doesnt make sense to build/ expand there for many reasons, must move on............

-SIR-

We are supposivly getting a "dollywood" type park here in Glynn County Georgia called Steamboat City, If you look on screamscape there is some concept art... I can't tell you how many times ive heard people say Disney was coming here when in fact it has nothing to do with disney. thats the same crowd who calls the Magic Kingdom "disneyworld" by the way. Disney wouldnt build a 2nd major park in the Southeast, we already have one and any other park would be kind of pointless.

disneymoc

There have been rumors about new theme parks being built around Atlanta for a few years. One was that Busch Gardens was wanting to build one just north of Atlanta in Cartersville. It didn't make much sense and as you can see nothing has happened.

There is Renaissance Fair kind of park supposedly being planned in South Georgia. It isn't going to be large. Mostly just an experience type park.

I think the idea of Disney making a "weekend destination" kind of resort is a great idea. I can only hope for now though.

Goodeone

I think that Disney should build a weekend resort in Canada. I think a skiing/golfing resort somewhere in BC or Alberta would do very well. Canadians are more opt to travel within Canada so that we can save on the exchange rate.

Something in Ontario would do very well also. A skiing and golfing resort within a 2 hour drive of Toronto would be a gold mine. People in the city are always looking to spend money on a summer home (cottage) type of thing, but don't want the work of taking care of it. Something along the lines of a time share would work great (DVC) and would also increase the number of people who would then travel down to WDW and stay at the DVC resorts there so that they get even more value for thier money.

johnvree

I agree with some of the other posters. The site seems too close to Orlando. Why would they want to siphon guest away from WDW? Also, if it is a new type of park, why not build it in Orlando where you are already attracting millions of guests?

New2WDW

Future Park Update!

Interesting! I read this post a couple of days ago and yesterday I was in my office (Covington, GA.) talking with a contractor who worked in the Monroe, GA. area and I asked him if this rumor of a theme park was for real, and he said that in fact it was but there was no mention of Disney. He stated that the County was looking to draw in money to the community thru a theme park as they wait for industry to work its way out there. It sounded like it was in the forefront of what is going on in that area. But.... Disney was not mentioned and neither was this Resort idea. That is all we talked about regarding that rumor. If I hear anything else, especially if Disney is mentioned I will post it!

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
We used to live outside Charlotte, N.C., and I have to tell you that if I drive all the way to Atlanta to visit a theme park of ANY kind, I'm going to continue straight thru to Orlando and WDW. Disney is NOT going to build a theme park anywhere in Ga.. The market isn't there to support it, and they aren't going to compete with themselves.

Why do you think they built the 2 U.S. parks so far apart? If Walt had been looking at a "chain" type of business model that operated nationwide, he certainly wouldn't have gone from Ca. to Fla. for his first move. He would have stayed much closer to "home" at that time. But he wasn't. He wanted something unique, and special. And even today, it costs so much to expand business nationwide, that it puts a great strain on your core business units. (I mean main showrooms, home base locations, and distribution centers). Our company is currently in a very aggressive growth plan where we are expanding and adding more nationwide locations. In order to do that, we are having to really work hard to create the capital in our current locations to finance this expansion. And in a business that has a lot of turnover traditionally, it puts even more strain on those who are dedicated to the company, thru more hours, more responsibility, increased demands, etc.

I hope that was succinct enough.

Robfasto said:
That is true to a point, I am with most in say that Disney doesn't need another park in the US. But the differences between Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom are numerous. Even though both parks have some of the same attraction the layout and design of them is very different in both parks. Only a few of the attractions in Fantasyland are exact 'clones' of each other, all the other rides (except for Splash Mountain, maybe) although based on a ride from another park are different enough from each other to keep them interesting.

Layout and design may be different, but attractions??? You forgot to mention Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, now Soarin', Muppets 3D, Star Tours, Haunted Mansion, etc., etc., etc. WDW does have most of the Disneyland attractions. Yes there is a little bit more of a difference than I'm stating but not that much different when you compare what Disney World has that Disneyland has.

TheCoasterKid said:
I think that Disney should build a weekend resort in Canada. I think a skiing/golfing resort somewhere in BC or Alberta would do very well. Canadians are more opt to travel within Canada so that we can save on the exchange rate.

What exchange rate? Have you seen what our President has done to our currency lately? Time for Canadians to come to WDW on the cheap. (relatively speaking)

Kaity'sDad said:
I'm an attorney with connections to government officials in Atlanta, and this is an issue that has reared its head recently. At this point only initial feelers have been sent out from "consultants" loosely connected with Disney (I imagine to maintain deniability). The conversations are not regarding a park, however. The possible development discussed consists of a hotel/resort, coupled with retail space and a few golf courses. The thoughts are plausable from a couple of perspectives.

I don't think so. At least with Hilton Head and Vero Beach you have a MAJOR natural attraction. No offense to Atlanta, but you are not a major natural attraction for people to visit and are to close to Vero and Hilton and WDW to get such a complex. If Disney were thinking of doing such I could envision one more in the North East first to take advantage of the mountains, snow, lakes etc. like New York or Pennsylvania to be within the range of the Megalopolis. But then again the way Disney is being brilliantly operated these days.... :cry:

As for me, I'm going to Disney's Atlanta village resort to see the.....well err...to see the....to see the....uhhhhh..... Yeah, that just doesn't really cut it for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom