Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

George Lucas on a Bench

I remember it being not long before I had a breakdown and missed the last day of The Haunted Mansion and ended up locked away in a hospital that resembled the WDW Haunted Mansion. Very strange year.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I remember it being not long before I had a breakdown and missed the last day of The Haunted Mansion and ended up locked away in a hospital that resembled the WDW Haunted Mansion. Very strange year.

Did we go around that time? The means we're approaching a year. Sheesh. Regardless, I'm happy to have you back.

I remember you said you wanted to see USH. Let me know if you still want to do that.

Eric1955

You forgot Main Street U.S.A, New Orleans Square, Critter Country, and Mickey's Toontown.

I didn't forget them. I left them out because while Main Street U.S.A. is a land, it was never considered one of the four cardinal realms. The other three are adjunct lands to the four cardinal realms. New Orleans Square and Critter Country are outgrowths of Frontierland and Toontown is an outgrowth of Fantasyland. SW:GE is not an outgrowth of anything. It in no way makes thematic sense plopped behind Frontierland. It is a totally new realm that completely stands out from the other four.

britain

I didn't forget them. I left them out because while Main Street U.S.A. is a land, it was never considered one of the four cardinal realms. The other three are adjunct lands to the four cardinal realms. New Orleans Square and Critter Country are outgrowths of Frontierland and Toontown is an outgrowth of Fantasyland. SW:GE is not an outgrowth of anything. It in no way makes thematic sense plopped behind Frontierland. It is a totally new realm that completely stands out from the other four.

Really? I can't quite think of a further frontier than the galaxy's edge.

Eric1955

Really? I can't quite think of a further frontier than the galaxy's edge.

IMG_4030.JPG

Star Wars has no connection to this whatsoever.

shortstop

View attachment 220408

Star Wars has no connection to this whatsoever.
And Fantasyland has no connection to Tomorrowland either. Not saying I agree with the placement of Star Wars but I don't understand this argument. Aesthetically it appears they are making an effort in the land-to-land transition, and I fully expect this transition to be more fluid than most of the existing land transitions already in the park.

shortstop

I think these pictures more or less illustrate the point I am trying to make. To me, this is a good blend of the more "industrial" Star Wars aesthetic with the natural browns in wood/rope/leather/rock we are used to seeing in Frontierland. I haven't been to the park since Big Thunder Trail opened back up but it seems like they are doing a good job with this transition.

Eric1955

And Fantasyland has no connection to Tomorrowland either. Not saying I agree with the placement of Star Wars but I don't understand this argument. Aesthetically it appears they are making an effort in the land-to-land transition, and I fully expect this transition to be more fluid than most of the existing land transitions already in the park.

I was specifically responding to a post suggesting that SW:GE could be thematically reconciled with Frontierland.

They certainly have made an effort to give SW:GE a smooth transition but my argument isn't about transitions. Besides, somewhat awkward transitions are a part of what gives Disneyland its charm. My original point was that SW:GE glaringly stands out from the other lands.

shortstop

I was specifically responding to a post suggesting that SW:GE could be thematically reconciled with Frontierland.

They certainly have made an effort to give SW:GE a smooth transition but my argument isn't about transitions. Besides, somewhat awkward transitions are a part of what gives Disneyland its charm. My original point was that SW:GE glaringly stands out from the other lands.
Perhaps when you look at a map it stands out, but I think they are taking such attention to detail that if you are in the park, it will do the opposite of stand out, since it is tucked away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom