News Wondrous Journeys firework show coming to Disneyland

PiratesMansion

Didn’t they do wishes at Disneyland Paris?

And Remember and Wishes are basically the same show at the start. And Hallowishes and Halloween screams as well.

It’s very possible.
I've worked very, very hard to block all incarnations of Wishes from my brain, so I'll admit I didn't know about that. That said, I imagine the actual arrangement of pyrotechnics was somewhat different, just due to differing laws and such-if someone wants to watch both and compare, I invite them to do that. I will not-Wishes nauseates me. But I don't imagine there was ever a scenario where WDW and DLP had identical fireworks laws and protocols, which would somewhat limit the likelihood that they were 1:1 copies of each other.

It is certainly true that it would have been a lot easier for them to just do the same fireworks show in the past, when you had relatively generic "Fantasy in the Sky" style shows for much of the history of the parks, and then too before projections became such an expected part of the experience. So while it might have worked out in the past, I don't see it happening again going forward.

waltography

I want an NSTPU (nighttime spectacular theme park universe) of fireworks shows. Give them all similar names. We already have a bit of a theme going with Harmonious, Momentous, and Wondrous (Journeys); give us Humungous at SDL, Audacious at TDL, and Marvelous at DLP to round it out. While we're at it, bring back World of Color: Villainous too.

brb1006

I've worked very, very hard to block all incarnations of Wishes from my brain, so I'll admit I didn't know about that. That said, I imagine the actual arrangement of pyrotechnics was somewhat different, just due to differing laws and such-if someone wants to watch both and compare, I invite them to do that. I will not-Wishes nauseates me. But I don't imagine there was ever a scenario where WDW and DLP had identical fireworks laws and protocols, which would somewhat limit the likelihood that they were 1:1 copies of each other.

It is certainly true that it would have been a lot easier for them to just do the same fireworks show in the past, when you had relatively generic "Fantasy in the Sky" style shows for much of the history of the parks, and then too before projections became such an expected part of the experience. So while it might have worked out in the past, I don't see it happening again going forward.
The only thing I remember from Paris' Wishes was that they added projections when both Jiminy and The Blue Fairy are speaking.

PiratesMansion

I want an NSTPU (nighttime spectacular theme park universe) of fireworks shows. Give them all similar names. We already have a bit of a theme going with Harmonious, Momentous, and Wondrous (Journeys); give us Humungous at SDL, Audacious at TDL, and Marvelous at DLP to round it out. While we're at it, bring back World of Color: Villainous too.
Tony Baxter: "We have to match the ambiance of the parks. Therefore, we'll have Charmingous, Spectacularacious, and Beautifulous debuting at Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Disneyland Paris respectively."

Last edited:

Twilight_Roxas

There’s also Paris. So Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, Tokyo Disneyland, and Disneyland Paris could do Wondrous Journeys while Hong Kong Disneyland, and Shanghai Disneyland has a different 100 year celebration fireworks show.

tcool123

I think the only parks where 1:1 projections would work is Tokyo and MK as it has been done with Once Upon a Time already, and MK could easily host any show Tokyo puts on as it has the least restrictions when it comes to fireworks from what I can tell

brb1006

There’s also Paris. So Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, Tokyo Disneyland, and Disneyland Paris could do Wondrous Journeys.
To quote @PiratesMansion from a previous page.
It wouldn't be possible for every Disney park to have the exact same fireworks/projection show for a number of reasons:

1. Every park has different fireworks restrictions, and only WDW can really do whatever they want with fireworks. DLR has stricter regulations about what they can do, when, and how when compared to WDW, and the internationals tend to be even more strict than DLR.
2. You'd also have to redo the projections for every new show. Tokyo and Magic Kingdom could ostensibly share some projections because they have the same castle, but even then you'd have to make projections for MK's Main Street, which is a place where many gather to watch the fireworks/projection shows, that wouldn't be used Tokyo's World Bazaar, which pointedly is not used for that purpose. With other parks, you're starting over completely from scratch because you'd have to design each set of projections differently to fit each castle. And of course you have all of the other areas that utilize projections that, even if they're the "same", are just different enough to again require them to start from scratch.
3. Different markets want/need different things from fireworks/projection shows. Tokyo's actual fireworks are super short and old school and have nothing to do with their projection shows. Because of different regulations, the focus of the show is necessarily different: in the US, the projections supplement the fireworks; in the international parks it's the opposite. Different properties attach to different properties or may have different styles. Pacing needs may be different also; Tokyo has done some projection shows that, were they to be put in the US just as they were in Japan, would probably be perceived by some as slow or boring. HEA probably wouldn't play as successfully in Shanghai because the focus of the resort (and knowledge of Disney's past films) is more blatantly on Disney, the multimedia conglomerate vs. other markets. And so on.
Also Walt Disney World doesn't need to clone another projection-based show like "Once Upon A Time".

brb1006

I think the only parks where 1:1 projections would work is Tokyo and MK as it has been done with Once Upon a Time already, and MK could easily host any show Tokyo puts on as it has the least restrictions when it comes to fireworks from what I can tell
The downside to WDW's version of Once Upon a Time is that the projections and animations are notably slower or laggy compared to the original version and the projections don't pop out at WDW's Cinderella Castle as the original version.

fradz

I haven't read through the entire thread, but what do you guys think? I haven't seen the show live (yet), but how do people rate it compared to other shows internationally? VS HEA, Dreams, Illuminations, Momentous, ...?

To me, even just on video, it's the one that is the most emotionally charged and I'm looking at flights to LA just for this 😂

TrainsOfDisney

I haven't read through the entire thread, but what do you guys think? I haven't seen the show live (yet), but how do people rate it compared to other shows internationally? VS HEA, Dreams, Illuminations, Momentous, ...?

To me, even just on video, it's the one that is the most emotionally charged and I'm looking at flights to LA just for this 😂
I can only compare to other shows at WDW and DL but honestly they hit it out of the park with this one. I was beginning to think I was just getting old and jaded until I saw this show live and it was like “oh… it’s not me…. It’s just the recent Disney shows haven’t been good” haha.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No

I saw it live Saturday night and I personally thought Disneyland Forever was a better show, especially with the way the castle sparkled when it was over. I saw that show twice. This one I could do without seeing again and go take advantage of shorter lines.

wtyy21

Last night was B-mode performance of Wondrous Journeys (initially full mode pyro few minutes before), but more noticeably, this show was shown without fire effect, due to the aftermath of Fantasmic Murphy dragon fire a day before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom