Rumor Wonders of Life getting an attraction soon?

Inspired Figment

No reason both IP and quality ride cant coexist, just the issue seems to be where they are putting the rides. Take Frozen and drop it in Fantasyland and we are all raving that its a classic. Rat is one of those rides where the IP fits perfectly with the surrounding theme. Nemo fits the theme, but its just a bad integration of the IP into a perfect situation. Then there are rides like JII that just fail as rides, themes and everything else, even without a movie IP.
I think you’re forgetting that actually the current Imagination as it stands *IS* a movie IP based ride, It’s based off Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. But not only is the ride bad in this case, but so is the IP they’re using. It’s completely irrelevant and unfitting in the Imagination Pavilion. Not to mention, shoehorning Figment into it doesn’t fix it either, it just makes it something that doesn’t make any coherent sense. It needs to be restored back to an actual Journey into Imagination ride about creativity with Figment & Dreamfinder.

DreamfinderGuy

I feel this way every time I watch videos about Wonders of Life. It seems like it's still there, and then I have to remind myself it's been gone for 11 years...
This is me too, I feel like its so familiar and part of the modern park, but then there's that reminder that it's been gone for so long. I guess the clean footage does something, as opposed to the grainy footage of Horizons and Imagination, for say. Same with TT 1.0

Kman101

I agree and don’t forget IPs like Ludwig von Drake, Bunsen and Beaker even Yoda. If they were used in the right way they could add to Epcot rather than dilute it

I'm all for a re-tooled MuppetVision moving into the theater by Figment. Probably not a popular opinion but if you switch a few things it's really more Epcot than Hollywood Studios. Almost makes me feel like it could have been an idea they had for Epcot but merged it with the show aspect to give us what we got at MGM. Sort of feels like it could be two different shows but it all ends up working together.

Kman101

This is me too, I feel like its so familiar and part of the modern park, but then there's that reminder that it's been gone for so long. I guess the clean footage does something, as opposed to the grainy footage of Horizons and Imagination, for say. Same with TT 1.0

Wonders of Life is the pavilion, for whatever reason, I remember the most. Body Wars creeped me out. Man. I'll never forget seeing the advertisment for it at a hotel at the time and thinking it was the weirdest thing! Oddly I remember that pavilion the most followed by Horizons. I was taken more to the MK and not really given a chance to explore Epcot to it's fullest (I think my parents probably loved it but assumed I found it boring; as a teenager I remember rejecting it for MGM and Universal, sadly). Not the same but it helps. It's interesting what you remember through life and what you don't, especially from when you are a kid. Certain things or situations just stick with you. (Most original rides at Epcot I feel familiarty towards when watching videos but no real memories stuck with me, I do remember loving the area of Imagination as a kid)

Kman101

I don’t remember being in WoL as a kid, but I feel like I must have gone in at least once. Like @Kman101 , I also remember the ads for Body Wars and was kind of creeped out by them. There’s just so much of Epcot that I wish I had seen or been old enough to remember.

I wish I could remember more of it. Lots of familiarty comes back watching videso but nothing significant. Maelstrom and Morocco also sort of come to mind (when I try and think about it I can remember some things). And I remember being there in the first year for Ellen. I was not a fan (but I was also young, not that most of Epcot didn't blow me away I do remember feeling very impressed, for a kid it was NOT boring).

pdude81

I remember the excercise bikes they had with these virtual routes on monitors. Plus body wars seemed like a Disney mashup of Star Trek and the movie Innerspace. All of that stuff would be very dated now so any update is welcome.

Goofyernmost

I remember the excercise bikes they had with these virtual routes on monitors. Plus body wars seemed like a Disney mashup of Star Trek and the movie Innerspace. All of that stuff would be very dated now so any update is welcome.
I guess I just don't understand "dated". How is being shrunk down in a vehicle to a size where you can ride through the body and then be brought back to regular size be dated. Is this something that is common procedure now and I just didn't get the memo? In Cranium command have adolescent boys changed now so that none of what we see is going on in their heads? Is it the people playing the part, because that doesn't make any sense at all. It isn't who was playing the part it was the part itself. All the references that were used in that are still used today. Better technology, perhaps, but, for those that have never seen it in person a YouTube presentation really isn't going to do it any justice. The equipment used to record those shows back then are dated now, but the things that they were filming really are not. Some of the shows would be considered corny now, however, they were at the time as well. Making of me must still be somewhat current unless there has been a new, less cumbersome way to reproduce. :in pain::jawdrop::joyfull:

pdude81

I guess I just don't understand "dated". How is being shrunk down in a vehicle to a size where you can ride through the body and then be brought back to regular size be dated. Is this something that is common procedure now and I just didn't get the memo? In Cranium command have adolescent boys changed now so that none of what we see is going on in their heads? Is it the people playing the part, because that doesn't make any sense at all. It isn't who was playing the part it was the part itself. All the references that were used in that are still used today. Better technology, perhaps, but, for those that have never seen it in person a YouTube presentation really isn't going to do it any justice. The equipment used to record those shows back then are dated now, but the things that they were filming really are not. Some of the shows would be considered corny now, however, they were at the time as well. Making of me must still be somewhat current unless there has been a new, less cumbersome way to reproduce. :in pain::jawdrop::joyfull:

We're at a point now with medical technology that we can use DNA sequencing to help with cancer therapy, so in my view the shrinking down of people in a ship to take routine blood counts is more dated now than in the late 80's when we paid to see Rick Moranis shrinking his kids. We also have incredible simulators and tiny medical cameras, so the plausibility of shrinking down to joyride through someone's body just seems irresponsible. Now if they wanted to make an Ant Man version where people were shrunk down to the quantam realm, that might be loosely tied to this but that wouldn't really be the same thing either. Plus that wouldn't be very doable given the character rights in Florida

BraveGirl

Wonders of Life is the pavilion, for whatever reason, I remember the most. Body Wars creeped me out. Man. I'll never forget seeing the advertisment for it at a hotel at the time and thinking it was the weirdest thing! Oddly I remember that pavilion the most followed by Horizons. I was taken more to the MK and not really given a chance to explore Epcot to it's fullest (I think my parents probably loved it but assumed I found it boring; as a teenager I remember rejecting it for MGM and Universal, sadly). Not the same but it helps. It's interesting what you remember through life and what you don't, especially from when you are a kid. Certain things or situations just stick with you. (Most original rides at Epcot I feel familiarty towards when watching videos but no real memories stuck with me, I do remember loving the area of Imagination as a kid)

Same here! I remember spending hours and hours playing with all the exhibits, watching all the shows, and getting nauseous every damn time on Body Wars. I also always got a smoothie from the juice stand and still have a few of the plastic cups they came in! I also have vivid memories of Horizons and World of Motion. I loved Epcot as a kid.

matt9112

We're at a point now with medical technology that we can use DNA sequencing to help with cancer therapy, so in my view the shrinking down of people in a ship to take routine blood counts is more dated now than in the late 80's when we paid to see Rick Moranis shrinking his kids. We also have incredible simulators and tiny medical cameras, so the plausibility of shrinking down to joyride through someone's body just seems irresponsible. Now if they wanted to make an Ant Man version where people were shrunk down to the quantam realm, that might be loosely tied to this but that wouldn't really be the same thing either. Plus that wouldn't be very doable given the character rights in Florida

you forgot to mention playing god....scientist types will cure cancer or this and that and open the door for the perfect human....than the better human....they will have created humanitys own extinction.. how human are we when we are genetically designed...

Haymarket2008

After watching @marni1971 's excellent Ultimate Tribute, I am reminded about my conflicting feelings regarding Wonders of Life. It is no doubt a product of its' time. Which is part of the reason why it quickly became the most dated and tired pavilion in Future World. WoL was charming and an interesting addition to the park, but it didn't have a long life for a reason, unfortunately. IMO, of course.

mikejs78

Premium Member
After watching @marni1971 's excellent Ultimate Tribute, I am reminded about my conflicting feelings regarding Wonders of Life. It is no doubt a product of its' time. Which is part of the reason why it quickly became the most dated and tired pavilion in Future World. WoL was charming and an interesting addition to the park, but it didn't have a long life for a reason, unfortunately. IMO, of course.
I believe the original vision for Epcot had pavillion refreshes once a decade. That would have given pavillions the ability to stay fresh yet true to their initial purpose. Yet with a few exceptions, that often didn't happen.

AJDMB05

Part of the beauty, IMO, of the original Epcot pavilions was the wide open freedom they could have utilized to update them and make them current, some moreso than others based on their layout or tech. Body Wars could have had new movies/storylines ala Soarin' and Mission Space in the last couple years. Many fans have imagined and written revisions of Cranium Command. The performances and exhibits would have been a layup, and even Pure and Simple could have been constantly updated with new healthy food options. In a way, it could have been updated almost as much as Innoventions minus the two main attractions. It didn't have to look like 1989 all the way up to 2007.

Goofyernmost

Yea, I suppose, just as long as you don't take your theme park rides to seriously. I don't think about it as how it compares to today's real time capabilities, because when was the idea of shrinking a vehicle full of people down to something smaller then a body cell and injecting them into the body even remotely a possibility or even a desired way to do things. Your way would make it the most boring attraction ever made. You are correct though it does seem irresponsible now. Not that it didn't back then. My goodness what would they have done if they didn't get that electrical brain activity to work.

People seem to want to insist on making sure that a fantasy is also a possible reality. Perhaps a little more effort on the fantasy imagination end would make any attraction more enjoyable. The point is that shown today Body Wars in relation to reality was just as impossible back then as it would be now. But, because it wasn't possible or in touch with reality, it was fun. Besides it was actually a show about the immune system, the lungs, the heart and the brain made exciting by a wild and crazy ride though the heart, lungs and brain. The fact it was impossible was how it became a fantasy attraction.

Last edited:

Robbiem

I'm all for a re-tooled MuppetVision moving into the theater by Figment. Probably not a popular opinion but if you switch a few things it's really more Epcot than Hollywood Studios. Almost makes me feel like it could have been an idea they had for Epcot but merged it with the show aspect to give us what we got at MGM. Sort of feels like it could be two different shows but it all ends up working together.

The original idea for muppetvision was to parody the rest of MGM as was which was mainly behind the scenes attractions showing how things worked in the movies. If the muppets movie ride had been built it would have been the same with GMR which would have been a vert witty take on the rest of the park

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom