Rumor Wonders of Life getting an attraction soon?

DznyRktekt

Most membrane roofing has a lifespan of between 20 and 30 years. Not sure if those numbers go up or down in Florida's climate zone.

Martin, off topic a bit, but is there a known end of life date to the water channels and the panels of Spaceship Earth? How are these cared for?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
For sure, but, I am still amazed that it lasted out in that Florida Sun and wild storms that it lasted as long as it did. That design at WoL isn't new, but, to use it with such a massive unsupported center is was quite impressive at the time.
Fun fact; the Wonders roof was the parks sixth geodesic sphere.

Remember that kids the next time you want to bore your friends with geeky park talk...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Most membrane roofing has a lifespan of between 20 and 30 years. Not sure if those numbers go up or down in Florida's climate zone.

Martin, off topic a bit, but is there a known end of life date to the water channels and the panels of Spaceship Earth? How are these cared for?
Alucobond apparently isn’t as self cleaning as they thought it would be. But it’s still being used today; I recently posted a photo near my work of a new building receiving it.

Assuming the gutter system is maintained it should last as long as the building does.

crxbrett

Im trying to figure this one out...I cant think of the other ones beyond:

SE top and bottom, if that counts as two and one of the Land greenhouses. That's three.

I cant think of what the other ones would be.

Is the little dome/skylight in the Tomorrowland Terrace one of them? I can't remember if that is a sphere shape or more square.

This is fun trying to guess the others lol

Just realized they may all be in EPCOT...not sure if it was parks plural or park's as in EPCOT only...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Im trying to figure this one out...I cant think of the other ones beyond:

SE top and bottom, if that counts as two and one of the Land greenhouses. That's three.

I cant think of what the other ones would be.
Close. Each half of SSE are two domes remember - the outer Alucobond panelled surface and the inner weatherproof, load bearing structure. You got The Land dome :)

Bender123

Close. Each half of SSE are two domes remember - the outer Alucobond panelled surface and the inner weatherproof, load bearing structure. You got The Land dome :)

So close...yet so far away...I never thought of the inner and outer and was actually pulling out old photos looking for something I missed.

Goofyernmost

So, four of them are just SSE? That sounds like quite a stretch of numbers for one building. I would still classify that as one (1) geodesic sphere. Realizing that it is made up of what could be considered a regular geodesic dome and an inverted geodesic dome, it is much more of an accomplishment, in my book that it is a sphere, first of it's kind from what I understand. Outer and inner walls are still attached as one so at best I call it two complete domes.

But, assuming that you have taken four separate parts of one building to make it a (4) and the Land Dome... that's 5. So the 6th would be WoL? Since WoL had an outer shell as well as a ceiling shell with space for utilities and insulation, wouldn't that be two based on the SSE description.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So, four of them are just SSE? That sounds like quite a stretch of numbers for one building. I would still classify that as one (1) geodesic sphere. Realizing that it is made up of what could be considered a regular geodesic dome and an inverted geodesic dome, it is much more of an accomplishment, in my book that it is a sphere, first of it's kind from what I understand. Outer and inner walls are still attached as one so at best I call it two complete domes.

But, assuming that you have taken four separate parts of one building to make it a (4) and the Land Dome... that's 5. So the 6th would be WoL? Since WoL had an outer shell as well as a ceiling shell with space for utilities and insulation, wouldn't that be two based on the SSE description.
SSE is four spheres. Class it how you like, I’m telling it how it was designed. The four sections only look like a single sphere (the word Geosphere was invented by Disney)

The real accomplishment comes when you look deeper. Six legs hold up a platform 52 ft in the air. On this was built a steel framed building that bowed out at the centre. This supports the floors and all the weight of the attraction. Also attached to the base, but not structurally attached to the "building" structure, is the internal geodesic dome that creates the weathertight surround. This was finally wrapped in a waterproof rubber membrane. On top of this is the silver dome shape guests are familiar with. The two outer domes are purely for weatherproofing and show. The real building structure is hidden inside and not structurally connected for any load bearing to either dome

A second internal structure was hung from the 52 ft platform, again wrapped in rubber. And outside of this is the alucobond finish.

Another fun fact is that the six legs are tied together below level as an added safety feature to prevent any leg from slipping away from the others should the foundation fail.

Life has a single layer roof structure that both holds itself up and supports utilities and the ceiling. The outer panels are the same as the interior panels.

Last edited:

Nubs70

I'd like that. A tour by Mushu would be more entertaining, in my opinion. (Unpopular opinion. I'm ready to ignore the bash.)

I'd also love for Martin Short to come back and update O' Canada's film. When we went the first week of May, everyone was actually enjoying O' Canada. Lots of smiling faces and laughs at Short. It felt good. It was pretty packed too. I usually hit it at the end of the day, so maybe everyone's normally just tired by then and are disappointed that they have to stand. We did it in the morning.
Not Martin Short but Ricky, Julian, and Bubbles

rocketraccoon

From today.
pRsx9b9.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom