Wonder and WOW! - Dani's first cruise!!!

Well I am still swaying back and forth. I am out of it a little since last night's moderate waves put me out of sorts. I had a great time except for when we were at sea. I would become tired and a bit queasy. I would definately have to visit the doctor next time to get some better medicine to help me.
My impromptu 3 day cruise was amazing. Aside from the odd feeling I would have at night due to the motion, it was a flawless experience.
My boyfriend, the one who enabled me to see Disneyland for the first time, was working on the Disney Wonder. This is the first time we (Disney Vacation Club) have had a presence on the Disney Wonder. It's an honor that he was able to be the first one to work on the Wonder so I wanted to be there for him and experience a Cruise for the first time.

Day 1- February 9, 2006 Thursday
Frank was already on the ship. The week before he was on the Magic and then he worked on the Wonder for the 4 day. I spent the night before in utter anticipation. I watched Cruise Line DVDs, printed out materials, packed, I did it all. I could barely sleep. Bright and early I began driving down 528 while listening to Disney's "On the Record" CD. As I climbed the last bridge there she lay. The Disney Wonder seemed like a glorious mirage. I literally squeled.
I actually arrived to early and was told I could not even park yet. So I turned aorund and called Frank. As I stopped at the pedestrian crossing Frank answered the phone. I looked out my windshield and saw a guy about '5 7" wearing a USC Trojans hat,... and he was on his cell phone. It was Frank! He was with his coach. We met up at McDonald's. They were both tired and not anxious to get back on the ship. I was going mad as each minute passed, wanting to get on the ship.
When we returned to port it took all of my strength not to run passed everyone to get on the ship. Once we got everything in order it was time to board the Wonder. We passed the line to get a photo taken, I just had to get on the ship. As I stepped into the lobby I felt a total calm and immense excitement wash over me. The glorious sights and sounds filled my senses. Elegant Disney wonders everywhere!
Our rooms weren't ready however Frank had an ace up his sleeve. His room now belonged to Disney Vacation Club so we went to his room to drop of my luggage. I fell in love with the Walt and Lilly picture and became jealous at the Donald Duck art that hung across from the bed. We then explored. Frank showed me around and every corner it got better and better.
The grand finale of my introduction to cruising and the Disney Wonder was entering my room. When I saw Frank's room I immediately had to get used to the small size of a stateroom. My room was about the same size but with the added benefit of a verandah. Definately the way to go. It also had the Walt and Lilly picture and a piece of concept art from Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean. Throughout the Cruise I became enamored with all the Disney art, EVERYWHERE! As we left Port Canaveral I stepped out onto my verandah and watched as the locals stood along the shore and waved goodbye.
Frank headed to work and I headed up to Deck 9 for the Deck Party with a Bahama Mama in hand. The energy from all the guests and the band Seabreeze created a buzz all around.
I attempted to watch the Hercules live show in the Walt Disney Theater but alas the motion of the ocean began to take hold. I went up to my room to shower and get ready for dinner at Palo. Later in the Cruise I would learn to really appreciate the Palo experience. Frank, his coach, and I ended the evening at teh 80's party at Wavebands.

MORE TO COME VERY SOON, plus PHOTOS!!!:sohappy:

Nicole

Ugh - I have been wanting to do a Disney cruise but get very motion sick. Everyone says I won't even feel the ocean on a boat that big (ship?) but it sounds like you did?

Magic Maker

Original Poster
It is like being on a plane.
It was worth it trust me. Just do a three day and realize that at nighttime when you are at sea you will be a bit out of it, so try to get the early dinner seatings (you would have to request at the time of booking your trip). Go to the doctors and ask for the patch. I should have but did not have time.
It was not too bad until last night because of the storm the Northeast part of the country is dealing with, it made the seas a bit rough.
A lot of it is mental as well. Well time to post day 2.

Magic Maker

Original Poster
Day 2- February 10, 2006 Friday
At 8:45 am I awoke as tropical sunlight filled my room. I opened the curtains and looked out on the verandah to see torquise filled waters, tropical palm trees, lavish vacation home and the towering Atlantis. I looked closer at the Port of Nassau and began to see grafiti and trash. "Uh oh" I thought. I went downstairs to eat breakfast. Let me just stop to say how awesome it is to just eat whatever is available and not have to pay for it. That is one of the coolest things about cruising - food and entertainment is all included.
My first stop was Parrot Cay. We were assigned to eat there the night before but replaced it with Palo. Palo is the adult only, gourmet Italian restaurant atop the Disney Wonder. It is not included in your Cruise but is only $10 extra. It is WELL WORTH IT! Parrot Cay had a bit of a wait, so i declined and went upstairs to Beach Blanket Buffet. Good call. Again it was amazing to gab anything I wanted and not pay for it!
Soon Frank and I disembarked the Wonder and ventured into Nassau. Since Frank represents DVC on the ships he had been here before. He tried to warn me. Let me just say this. When you go to Nassau please, please, please book a shore excursion. We did not, our only option was to venture the streets on our own. Nassau is pretty dirty and since three other Cruise ships were at port it was crowed. We grabbed a map and I navigated us into a beautiful quiet area near some of churchs. The time we spent in the area was the only time we enjoyed ourselves in Nassau.
We headed back to the ship because Frank had to get ready for work soon. We first hit Deck 10 and sunbathed by Quiet Cove - the adult pool. Frank headed to work and I hit the showers. He was to conduct the Disney Vacation Club Members Celebration. This is the first time an ASA (we are the representatives in the parks, resorts, and in this case, the ships - we don't sell the membership) conducted the Member Celebration. So Frank wanted me there for support. The members seemed to enjoy themselves. It was cool to see him in action.
Afterward, I returned upstairs and stopped at Cove Cafe for a frozen cappucino. AWESOME! Cove Cafe became my favorite part of the upstairs deck. A gorgeous area - I took a picture of it don't worry. Time to see The Golden Mickeys. I thought it was an entertaining show, better than Herecules. There was a neat scrim effect that made me go - WOW!
Before dinner I indulged in a Planter's Punch - the drink of the day. Our scheduled dinner venue was Triton's. I was very disappointed. I had duck for the first time, ironic since I am huge Donald Duck fan. Overall I expected more.
We finished off the evening at the Pirates IN the Caribbean party. What a blast! Well done, lots of fun and energy. I wanted to dance with Frank, but we couldn't since he was on the ship as a DVC representative. The fireworks were fun. It was a great way to end the day and get ready for the highlight of the trip- Castaway Cay.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Great Photos and story (so far) Dani. Glad it was all you hoped it would be (except for the motion thing). Looking forward to hearing of you experience with Castaway Cay...it was our favorite stop by far...wish we could have spent two days there! How did you enjoy Palo? I'll wait for the last chapter!

:sohappy:

Magic Maker

Original Poster
Day 3 February 11, 2006 Saturday
ROOM SERVICE! I was not about to waste any time going downstairs to get breakfast. I looked outside on my verandah and behold had a wonderful view of paradise otherwise known as Castaway Cay. When we stepped off the Wonder I was in heaven. It was like visiting a new Disney theme park or water park for the first time.
As you can see from the photos we met with some characters first. We decided not to wait for the tram and just walk to talk in all the sights. Frank was hungry so we snagged to oranges. Again I just love that we could grab whatever food we wanted, so cool! We looked around a bit, snacking on our oranges and decided to get away from the kids and hit Serenity Bay. We waited for the tram and ended up sitting behind two very well off ladies who were just chatting away. I wanted to hear the tram spiel since it was telling the story of Castaway Cay, but had no luck hearing it over their conversation. Oh well at least they were excited be there.
We pulled up next to the BBQ station, it was open yet, but alas the music they play there is the exact same loop from Old Key West's lobby. Not good. I have to work at OKW's lobby and it is always slow there and the music just kills me because of it.
I wanted to sit on the beach away from the music, but Frank didn't want to walk all the way down to the real quiet, deserted part of the beach. We ended up claimed two lounge chair and two regular chairs near a family of five. They were an older family, no young kids, obviously since you have to be 18 to enter this beach. They were fun and took a picture of us.
I was completely enthralled with the beach. I wanted to do all kinds of things, rent bikes, get a float or a raft, all that fun stuff. The problem with going on a Cruise with someone who does it every month is that they no longer get all excited about it. I did my best to show Frank how important it was for me to make the most of my time, but it just didn't happen.
As soon as 11:30 rolled around it was grub time. Oh my goodness, Cookie's BBQ at Serenity Bay has awesome food. It is all fresh and perfect for the beach. I was so happy. The food there to me was better than Triton's.
With ice cream in hand we returned to our spots on the beach. After some more sunbathing we gave into temptation and ordered a Rum Runner in a plastic cocnut, or as Frank called it a grenade. It was as strong as a grenade let me tell you.
We were starting to get burned so I convinced Frank to walk down to the deserted end of the beach before we left. I walked away from everyone and spent about 1 minute just listening to the waves and looking around seeing no humans. I am around humans all day. I just wanted a moment where I did not have to see anyone else in my field of vision nor hear anyone else. It was awesome!
Once we made our way back to the rest of the island I realized the greatness of Serenity Bay. No crowds, no running, screaming kids, no loud dance music. The rest of the island is certainly fun for kids, but if you can use Serenity Bay to get away. We did some quick shopping and were upset to find out that our Cast discount was not honored at Castway Cay, luckily I was only buy three things.
We returned to home and enjoyed ourselves and rested for a while before Frank had to go man the desk. I went downstairs to watch the graduation ceremony for the kids who spent most of their time in the kid areas, cute show but not too interesting if you don't have any kids walking the stage. I went upstairs to Cove Cafe, I LOVE IT THERE! It was heaven for me, coffee, wine, jazz, reading and a view of the water. I tried a Jamaican Coffee. It had to kinds of liquer in it and it was a bit too strong for me so I gently sipped it. I spent sometime out on the deck with the special Cove Cafe chairs and then ventured back inside the Cafe where I discovered a listening station. I listen to some Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, I was set!
When we left Port I was sad and then soon became worried when they announced the potential for rough seas. I discovered that it was much better for me to be active then to just sit and do nothing once the boat started swaying. It wasn't too rough, but the motion was getting to me. I had my picture taken with Mickey (the last picture in the album) and then watched Disney Dreams. What a fun show and an awesome show for any Disney fan. It is definately the best show on the ship.
I then went to play "Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer" (a Disney trivia game). I helped everyone else win since I knew it all, they said it was a record amount of winners, but I was never picked to be int he hot seat. I guess they didn't pick me since I am a Cast Member. It was fun though.
Finally,w e went to have dinner. I was looking forward to this dinner all trip since it was at Animator's Palate. But alas the motion won over ad I had to leave to take Dremamine and rest. I wasn't sick, I was jsut out of it, next time I will defiantely get the patch.
Frank was kind enough to bring my food. I t was much better than Triton's not as good as Palo of course. I couldn't eat all of it because it was very flavorful and hearty and I didn't want to put too much on my tummy. We began to watch Brothers Grimm but the TV made it hard to watch. We order room service for dessert and then Frank's coach called. They met up for drinks, which Frank claimed would only take 20-30 minutes, which then turned into almost 2 hours. By that time I was watching Just Like Heaven. What a cute story.
So we spent our last evening eating cake and cookie in bed.

DisneySam

Great Pictures! I am officially jealous...I have always wanted to go on the cruise. It looks like you guys had a great time.

Magic Maker

Original Poster
I have been very fortunete, working for DVC has helped me enjoy many experiences. It is the next best thing to be a member. I am very thankful for the experiences I have.

Magic Maker

Original Poster
Frank is on the Maigc now, representing DVC. I am hoping to be on the Cruise team now that I know what a Cruise is like.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom