Woman on out-of-control scooter in Sci Fi Drive In Theater!!

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
A couple of years ago we were waiting for the elevator by the Garden Grill and there was a woman on a scooter in the elevator. She could not get out she kept hitting the walls and riding the elevator up and down about 4 times trying to turn her scooter around. It was hilarious. Everytime I see that elevator I think of her.:ROFLOL:
:lol: We sat right by that elevator waiting to get seated at Garden Grill and I can't tell you how many people had trouble getting in and out of that elevator. They even had a cast member there trying to help people...That elevator is way too small to handle all the people that need to use it...

WDW1974

Anyone can. That's the problem. The vast majority of them are rented by people who are too obese or lazy to simply walk. They don't use them in the real world, so they have no clue how to operate them. It's become an 'in' thing to rent them to avoid actually physical activity like ... say walking.

They run over people (and children and those who are frail but not lazy and actually walk)... they gouge out and damage walls and wooden doorframes ... WDI now has to design things that take these monstrosities into account because of all the damage they are actually doing.

Funny thing is you don't see them at Disney's parks in Paris and Hong Kong (Tokyo too, but since I haven't been there I'm just going on word of friends) ... of course, they also don't have stroller issues there because they actually make children do something healthy and unheard of here ... namely WALK!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Said it before and will say it again:
ECVs should require a doctor's note. Simple as that.:shrug:
I understand the feeling, but have to disagree. I am disabled and have had to go through the process of getting medical "proof" of disability to satisfy pencil-pushers in my day. There are two issues that arise. First it is actually quite degrading to be required to provide proof that I'm disabled. I am not a shy guy by any means, but having someone with no medical qualifications "assess" my level of disability is embarrassing. Second, I've seen plenty of people go into doctor's offices and demand a note saying they 'need' X or Y for some unlikely ailment and the doctors are too haried or perhaps too lazy to argue with them.

I've taken doctor's notes to WDW and was actually very pleasantly surprised when a young woman at Guest Relations said she was neither qualified to assess nor wanted to see my note and gave me a GAC that met my needs. That lovely CM removed, if only for a moment, much of the stigma that is a day to day part of being a disabled member of society.

Yes, there are abusers. There are people who shouldn't be allowed to drive behind the wheel of cars, there are people operating heavy machinery who are a danger to themselves and others and there are people too lazy to walk who think it's convenient to have access to ECVs that aren't intended for them. In the end, if one legitimately needy guest gets refused because they didn't bring a doctor's note, then requiring them to weed out the morally bereft abusers isn't worth it.

fngoofy

Regardless of whether you do that to all ECV drivers or just the rude ones (you don't mention it) it is still incredibly rude. It never ceases to amaze me the people who complain about how rude certain people and their actions are but then to make comments on how (general) you are rude back. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Yeah, but three rights make a left.

WDW1974

In the end, if one legitimately needy guest gets refused because they didn't bring a doctor's note, then requiring them to weed out the morally bereft abusers isn't worth it.

I hate agreeing with Monty here ... nothing personal ... I just believe after years of observation that a good 75-90% of people renting these things don't need them for anything other than being fat and lazy -- not good excuses.

But no one who legitimately needs one should ever be refused, no matter what.

I really wish I knew of a good solution because this has really developed into a huge problem over the past 15 years.

I often tell my friends that I should have quit work back in the mid-90s, moved upstate and started a business renting these things out ... I'd have millions of dollars in my mattress (who trusts banks these days?) today if I did. :king:

scpergj

Anyone can. That's the problem. The vast majority of them are rented by people who are too obese or lazy to simply walk. They don't use them in the real world, so they have no clue how to operate them. It's become an 'in' thing to rent them to avoid actually physical activity like ... say walking.

They run over people (and children and those who are frail but not lazy and actually walk)... they gouge out and damage walls and wooden doorframes ... WDI now has to design things that take these monstrosities into account because of all the damage they are actually doing.

Funny thing is you don't see them at Disney's parks in Paris and Hong Kong (Tokyo too, but since I haven't been there I'm just going on word of friends) ... of course, they also don't have stroller issues there because they actually make children do something healthy and unheard of here ... namely WALK!

I think I need to have someone check my sanity...I'm finding myself agreeing more and more with WDW1974...

BTW, my first visit was 1972...maybe that has something to do with it.

Tom

Beta Return

You summed it quite nicely! :sohappy:

shmmrname

It's really just a socialogical/psychological question: aren't we all really just annoyed by everyone when it gets down to it.

But, when mistakes happen, like in the OP's main story, it's good to hear people came away laughing at it. Beyond the fact that it could hurt the driver, I find that most the time kids are in their own world, not really paying attention, especially with all the sensory overload that disney provides. They are already handicapped by their size, but then they are also getting blindsided, that just smells like trouble.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I hate agreeing with Monty here ... nothing personal ... I just believe after years of observation that a good 75-90% of people renting these things don't need them for anything other than being fat and lazy -- not good excuses.

But no one who legitimately needs one should ever be refused, no matter what.

I really wish I knew of a good solution because this has really developed into a huge problem over the past 15 years.

I often tell my friends that I should have quit work back in the mid-90s, moved upstate and started a business renting these things out ... I'd have millions of dollars in my mattress (who trusts banks these days?) today if I did. :king:
:lol:

It happens both ways... :shrug:

Who knew?

mikeymouse

We were waiting for SpectroMagic last year when a 40ish year old guy on a scooter made his way in front of us and had the guts to stand up on the seat of the thing to watch the parade. no one said a word. i wanted to steal his key while he wasn't looking. I can't believe a CM didn't see him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom