WL Courtyard v. AKL Savannah

LizLovesDisney

Hello,

I just put a courtsey hold on a disney vacation from may 18 to 25. As you may have read in another post we are splitting our trip into two parts.

For the second part which is better the WL courtyard or the AKL Savannah. With the code the price difference is $10 more for the AKL room.

Which is better in you opinnions?
Also who has better transportation, dinning, etc....

Thanks alot!!!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I personally love the Savannah rooms at AKL and have stayed there several times. We never really spend any time at the resorts with the exception of AKL. The restaurants and the pool are great. There are several places in the hotel that are set up for animal viewing and there is nothing like relaxing in a hand carved rocking chair around and open fire at the end of the day. WL is not without its charm and it is a great resort but were else in America can you step out onto your balcony and see giraffes.

Upvote 0

skeeter

I have to say that Animal Kingdom Lodge is the BEST resort on property. There is no other place in the U.S. where you can step out on your private balcony at 3am and watch zebra quietly munch on a grassy snack. It is truly breathtaking--worth the 10 extra bucks!!! Like the previous post mentioned, the Wilderness Lodge is a stunning resort, but the AKL is so unique, it just adds to the "magic." Have fun!! :)

Upvote 0

Ergens2

LizLovesDisney said:
Hello,

I just put a courtsey hold on a disney vacation from may 18 to 25. As you may have read in another post we are splitting our trip into two parts.

For the second part which is better the WL courtyard or the AKL Savannah. With the code the price difference is $10 more for the AKL room.

Thanks alot!!!
Hmm, that tough. Both transport you to another in world. You really don't feel that you are in Disney. About trans. AKL is a bit further out than WL. Do you have children that are picky eaters? You may want to play it safe and stay at WL. You are also closer to MK and most of the other parks except AK. BUT, at ALK you are closer to AK and further away from everything else. I have stayed at both and prefer WL. It is very laid back and close to everything. (I am a city girl so getting where I want to go fast is optimal!) I love Whispering Canyon Cafe. :slurp: Lots of food for a great price. I liked AKL well enough but I just felt so detached from everything. (I know, "But I'm on vacation and want to relax!" :lol: ) Either is wonderful! You just have to decided which adventure you want, Rustic western wilderness or wild African safari!
Shelley :wave:

Upvote 0

DisKid

LizLovesDisney said:
Hello,

Thanks alot!!!

Wait... What code? Is there a code out for May specials? Could you share the code with us? We are planning an end of May trip right now as well, but don't have any code.

As for our rooming situation, we know exactly the problem of deciding which resort...We either want to stay at WL or AKL in 1 room or stay at a value in 2 rooms... Anyone have any suggestions on what they would do for that? The three options all seem to us to have wonderful incentives.

Upvote 0

Trishnh

Definitely AK lodge

We have never stayed at Wilderness lodge, but Animal Kingdom Savannah view is awesome! We loved it so much-like others have said, there is nothing to compare walking out on your balcony & watching the animals. We spent a lopt of time at the hotel just watching the animals. The kids thought it was the greatest,too. Plus, there pool is great, they have a food court area to grab a quick bite and we never had any problems with the busses. Unfortunately, we probably will not get another chance to stay there :cry: since we need two rooms and it is pricey! We lucked out a few years ago when we had reservations at Port Orleans and they were closing for renovations so we got a great price at AKL. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

My biggest issue with both hotels is the transportation. AKL will have busses to everywhere, but is very out of the way for cetain parks. The WL tranportation can just get very annoying when you have to use the boats or share with Fort Wilderness.

The resorts are both beautiful and offer some of the best theming on property. Just be prepared to put up with a little more when it comes to getting around the property.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I stayed at the AKL with deluxe savannah view room in Dec. and we loved it. I would strongly suggest getting a savannah view room when you go.

Pam

Upvote 0

LizLovesDisney

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the help. I agree, either hotel is a great choice which makes it so difficult.

Diskid - I was lucky to call Disney and they had a pin code in my system which allowed me to get the CBR for $88 a night with tax and the prices I discussed for the WL and AKL.

Just to recap it seems to me that the transportation may favor the AKL just a bit. How much of an advantage do you consider the boat for the WL to MK to be?

Also, should I get a regular room and try to get an upgrade? Is this stupid or worth the risk?

Finally - Do you actually get to see alot of animals or is it hit or miss?

Thanks alot!!!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
LizLovesDisney said:
Finally - Do you actually get to see alot of animals or is it hit or miss?

Thanks alot!!!
Yes you will. The feeding stations are put close to the buildings to draw the animals closer.

Upvote 0

SpectroMan

Definitely AKL! The giraffe feeder was right in front of my room. The best was at night after going to the theme parks we could sit and relax on our balcony and watch the animals.

Upvote 0

Indy95

I'll have to go with AKL on this one as well, especially if you have a room that faces the interior of the circle. The views are simply superb, and you'll have quick access to the main house and the pool.

Upvote 0

HMGhost13

my past two trips to Disney World our stays have been at the AKL both times had Savannah views the last time was witht he concierage (which is awesome). also to note the last 4 trips for my parents were at AKL (including the two mentioned already). It is very quiet and relaxing.

Upvote 0

fillerup

Since a lot of AKL fans posted here, I figure this question could get answered.

Was at the Lodge last weekend just lookin around and one of the CMs said that from 8 to 11 each evening, there are a couple pair of night vision goggles available at the main overlook for guests to see the critters.

No big deal, just wondered if this was new.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

LizLovesDisney said:
Hello,

Thanks alot!!!
Can I ask what the price was for the AKL per night? Belle

Upvote 0

LizLovesDisney

Original Poster
Hey Belle,

Thanks to a code being in the computer I was offered the following prices (w/o tax):

WL Court - $156

AKL Std. $124, Pool $137, or Sav. $166 (We finally choose this - hopefully worth the extra $30 a night over the pool)

Boardwalk Reg. $219

Hope this helps!!

Liz

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

We WL supporters seem to be outvoted here, but I'd stick with the lodge.
Why?
Water and the Magic Kingdom.
Also, I think the lodge theming is beyond compare.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom