Wizards give smackdown to droids

Damon7777

Original Poster
SWL just opened. It took 4 years to add another land in another park and give them more than one new ride

Yep, looks about right to me but
I see two things about that:

Star Wars is just more massive-- noticeably longer history and more devotees and Disney has more real estate in Lake Buena vista than they know what to do with and Disney was looking to pull off a game changer with their 14 acre new land. But it did not change the game.

Again Rise of Resistance will be stellar but how stellar

Raineman

Yep, looks about right to me but
I see two things about that:

Star Wars is just more massive-- noticeably longer history and more devotees and Disney has more real estate in Lake Buena vista than they know what to do with and Disney was looking to pull off a game changer with their 14 acre new land. But it did not change the game.

Again Rise of Resistance will be stellar but how stellar
Again, how do you know it didn't change the game? According to the opinions of the vast majority of people who have already experienced it at Disneyland, it's an amazing experience, especially if you are a fan of the franchise. I am not a fan of Harry Potter, so, I'm sure if I ever get to visit Wizarding World, I'd probably look on it as a good land, but not a "game changer", because I have no emotional investment in the Potter franchise.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Potter is the better franchise 💁‍♂️🤷‍♂️ However I think its disingenuous to judge a land that hasn't opened its full potential yet.

eliza61nyc

This isn't about which franchise is more preferable(I never seen one Potter movie and don't plan to either and I'm not into Star Wars). This is about hype and execution or lackthereof of the two huge properties. Furthermore it's not even about Universal vs Disney.

Look, they both offer amazing depth and details within their respective lands but one is not just bigger but over 2 times bigger.

then what's it about???

Hype?? well I pretty much expect both companies to hype up their newest offering. No difference between this any other 'hysteria". An apple product, a new action movie, etc etc. there's always been "hype". pretty much an entire industry that gets paid to do that.

Execution? well since the land has not open yet in Florida and I'm not going to california or Japan I can't comment on that.
Your original post says that magical creatures are supreme and harry potter ville holds the crown. So how do you know?

based on size, so one is 2X's bigger. lol, there use to be a "saucy" joke about correlating the size of something to whether or not it can "perform" but this is a G rated place :p not sure how much "size" matters.

Anyhoo, I'll wait until I've actually experienced SW:GE before making blanket statements about who gives who a "smackdown". Pandora occupies a very small space and it's way better than anything at Universal. JMO

MaximumEd

Yeah, you realize it hasn’t opened here yet, right? How can something change a game in FL that hasn’t been played yet?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Keep in mind, Disneyland went to great lengths to ensure that guests wouldn't wait in 10 hour lines at the opening of Star Wars Land, because they recognize that's not an enjoyable guest experience. It seems they either exercised an overabundance of caution or guests were worried anyway and figured they'd come back when things died down . . . but it's not like the interest isn't there. We'll see what happens when the reservation period ends.

I think Universal intentionally did nothing to control crowds for this so they could get it on the news. My local ABC news ran a story about the 10 hour wait.

wdwfan22

The audio animatronics in the new potter ride are not as great as Disney’s latest. The 10 wait had quite a bit to do with rain delays and technical malfunctions as the ride went down numerous times during the first operating day. Those are facts.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
then what's it about???

Hype?? well I pretty much expect both companies to hype up their newest offering. No difference between this any other 'hysteria". An apple product, a new action movie, etc etc. there's always been "hype". pretty much an entire industry that gets paid to do that.

Execution? well since the land has not open yet in Florida and I'm not going to california or Japan I can't comment on that.

Ok so one is 2X's bigger. lol, there use to be a "saucy" joke about mistaking the size of something and whether or not it can "perform" but this is a G rated place :p

Anyhoo, I'll wait until I've actually experienced SW:GE before making blanket statements about who gives who a "smackdown"

G means Good.

I think Universal intentionally did nothing to control crowds for this so they could get it on the news. My local ABC news ran a story about the 10 hour wait.

According to reports of people who were there, they actually did quite a lot. The first 200 or so visitors signed a waiver to be on TV and then they only allowed certain numbers of people into the queue at a time. They also delayed opening the virtual queue until today to optimize flow.

They even had live music to entertain guests waiting to ride.

According to reports on twitter, the attraction stayed open until midnight last night (which is why there is a delay opening today) to make sure guests in line could ride and the maximum wait time ended up being 14.5 hours.

Last edited:

Damon7777

Original Poster
Yeah, you realize it hasn’t opened here yet, right? How can something change a game in FL that hasn’t been played yet?

Please don't do that....

Everyone of us on this forum either knows or damn well should know by now that in essence Studios will be a carbon copy of Disneyland's. Disneyland minus it's marquis attraction is very much "fully armed and operational". And Furthermore I already have accounted or presumed that Rise of Resistance will be one serious heavy hitter.

Damon7777

Original Poster
Can someone tell me what a roller coaster in another theme park has to do with a land that hasn't even opened yet?

You too?

Can't you figure it out....... ....effectively DL and Studios are/will be the same. Dl's is open.

Damon7777

Original Poster
What do think.....that the two Gal Edges will be as different as the two Pirates of Caribbean of DL's vs WDW's? They won't have any appreciable differences. Sheesh!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom