With all the recent changes, have they impacted you wanting to go to Disney any time soon?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, but I wish you would give mobile ordering another try. The only thing I hate worse than learning new technology is standing in line, so I tried mobile ordering as soon as it was introduced and it's worked so well for us! Also, the system has greatly reduced the number of people tying up tables while a family member is standing in line waiting to order.
I have zero issues with new technology, quite the opposite in fact.

The problem we had is the app simply would not work with our account. We tried it from 3 different phones all with the same result. We would get to the point where we would pay and it would give us that oh so helpful "Opps! Something went wrong!" message.

Both Guest services and Disney IT were unable to fix the issue on day one. They chalked it up to the system being overloaded. (We were in MK on 10/1/2021) We were only there for 2 days on our last trip so we just dealt with it as I was not going to waste the limited time I had standing at the Guest Services desk on day 2 hoping someone could figure out what was wrong.

The app worked for nearly everything else. I could unlock my doors with it, get attraction wait times, make TS reservations, but mobile ordering was a no-go. The door thing was nice as the resort was also unable to get the Magic Bands we just ordered to pair with our account.

Disstevefan1

Is it possible that the park pass reservation system is only a problem at the most crowded times of the year? We were easily able to make day-of changes in both May and October 2021.
If the park pass reservation system evolves to simply an attendance counter and not a limiting factor and I can reliably get same day reservations except for the very, very crowded days (like the old days) than that is fine with me.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
If the park pass reservation system evolves to simply an attendance counter and not a limiting factor and I can reliably get same day reservations except for the very, very crowded days (like the old days) than that is fine with me.
What I don't like is the requirement that you need to tap into your reserved park in order to use the park hopper. We had an MK reservation and wanted to park hop to Epcot that evening. But we changed our minds in the morning and went to Blizzard Beach instead of MK. I was able to cancel the MK reservation and get an Epcot reservation in its place (almost always possible), but if people don't think to do that and just try to get into the second park it's a problem. I wonder how many CMs are devoted to explaining this and helping people cancel and rebook the at the park entrance.

LaughingGravy

So

So has Disney lost another guest or is it friend these days doesn't sound like they(Disney) is very friendly
They are at the point where they don't need to be as friendly.
Why bother?
People clamor for "reservations" to get into a park where they already have tickets. They are getting by with a relative skeleton crew including performing talent, and multiple restaurants and attractions either closed or sub par while also taking away things and nickel and diming for things that used to be included, including my really sore spot of free parking for resort guests. Heck, even if they didn't charge resort guests to park at their hotel, but still charged for the park parking lots, I could understand that...to a point.

LaughingGravy

yes- covid taught us that we never know whats around the corner.. the parks might be shut down again or some other disaster happens that changes the world, or you might not even be here
Their taking advantage of this is what puts a bad taste in my mouth. I'm half surprised they don't put that statement in an ad.
Some day i will go to Disney Land just to see walts original park and give respects to monstro... but The Worlds time is prob about done for me.
Disneyland is still awesome and definitely worth the trip over the current state of WDW. If you are East Coast based, there is of course a higher cost to get to Anaheim, but not much more for the extra value DL offers in many ways. All family members for your trip might not be able to foot that, but maybe the big family trip ends up being someplace a little less expensive per day per person, but also ends up being something great.

ppete1975

Their taking advantage of this is what puts a bad taste in my mouth. I'm half surprised they don't put that statement in an ad.

Disneyland is still awesome and definitely worth the trip over the current state of WDW. If you are East Coast based, there is of course a higher cost to get to Anaheim, but not much more for the extra value DL offers in many ways. All family members for your trip might not be able to foot that, but maybe the big family trip ends up being someplace a little less expensive per day per person, but also ends up being something great.
nah oklahoma... its not cost its just my cousin lives in california and is burned out on disney land.. and wants to see disney world.. the rest of the family would rather go to florida and its 4 parks, they have no interest in disney land.

tpoly88

the park reservation is a pain. half the time i dont know what im doing 5 days out or the weather looks bad/good and i want to change my mind that morning. One of the only days we can go most times is a sunday becuase of work and its hard to get a reservation that morning most times. thats the only reason i dont go more.

Jrb1979

the park reservation is a pain. half the time i dont know what im doing 5 days out or the weather looks bad/good and i want to change my mind that morning. One of the only days we can go most times is a sunday becuase of work and its hard to get a reservation that morning most times. thats the only reason i dont go more.
That tells me it's working like a charm. Less APs in the parks the better. It's what Disney wants.

tpoly88

That tells me it's working like a charm. Less APs in the parks the better. It's what Disney wants.
Why would you ever want that? I may be an anomaly but every time I go I spend $200 for a couple hrs walking around Epcot. I spend $1500 a year on 2 passes, stay at Disney dozens of nights , go to the themed events, spends $1000’s on food per year. I don’t know I sound like the person you want coming to Disney often

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Why would you ever want that? I may be an anomaly but every time I go I spend $200 for a couple hrs walking around Epcot. I spend $1500 a year on 2 passes, stay at Disney dozens of nights , go to the themed events, spends $1000’s on food per year. I don’t know I sound like the person you want coming to Disney often
We would do about the same, but, Disney's internal data supposedly paints a much different picture of your average AP holder.

tpoly88

We would do about the same, but, Disney's internal data supposedly paints a much different picture of your average AP holder.
I’ve seen a bunch of comments on this site that APs like me are the devil and should be banned from Disney. Not sure where the idea of this came from. Maybe I’m the unicorn of APs and everyone else is not? As I mentioned we bring relatives and friends to the parks plus we do stay a lot , granted not for more than a couple nights max. Just not sure where the AP scorn came from.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I’ve seen a bunch of comments on this site that APs like me are the devil and should be banned from Disney. Not sure where the idea of this came from. Maybe I’m the unicorn of APs and everyone else is not? As I mentioned we bring relatives and friends to the parks plus we do stay a lot , granted not for more than a couple nights max. Just not sure where the AP scorn came from.
I think a good bit of it comes from the west coast. Word is that the vast majority of AP holders at DL do fit the very negative description of guests that are always there, spend nothing, and work the system. They also made up a significant chunk of the daily guest counts.

I never really ran into that at WDW, but it has been 8-9 years since I was in the parks monthly so things very well might have changed in that time.

hsisthebest

Regarding OP: Nope, we've changed our plans this summer to try Disneyland for the first time ever. Thinking about what it would take to make it on all of the new headliner (and sub-headliner) attractions using Genie+ or standby is just not worth it. A few rides at DL top out at 90 minute waits, nothing like the 3 hour waits WDW gets for Star Wars, FOP, and the soon to be opened Guardians ride. I'll post a trip report about our experience in Anaheim.
NOTE: Cost is not the issue (although I've posted plenty about value for dollars spent)- our decision to switch coasts was based on the experiences we think we would have at WDW currently (the wife and I have been 12 times so we know WDW well).
I'm not saying we'd never go back to WDW, but we are also researching cost and logistics for Disneyland Paris and Tokyo Disney.

ddbowdoin

My wife (then GF) and I took our deep dive into Disney at what we felt were the right time. Our experience in 2007-2013(ish) was built on childhood experiences that we individually loved but when we met each other combined into a super passion. In those years we were 3-4 a times a year which takes some effort since we live in Boston. We always had great hotel deals, renting DVC points, etc etc. I saved all my plans and looking back we could never recreate those trips 10 years later.
Things I’ll miss: paper fast pass and 2AM extra magic hours. Maybe I’m a grumpy but just feels like you get less these days.

themerebear6453

The changes have made me look forward to when my daughter is old enough for Universal. If Universal created a better area for young children, then we would be going there this year instead of Disney. Seuss Landing is good, but I feel like it's not enough to warrant the 6 hour drive. Magic Kingdom for a day and Animal Kingdom for another will be fun this year with a toddler, but only because we plan to take it slow with her and don't need lightning lane. Plus, right now we only have one child so we can still afford Disney. The more kids we have though, and we plan to have 3-4, the less affordable it will be. Universal seems like a better deal, and they've really pushed it with attractions the past few years.

NickMaio

My wife (then GF) and I took our deep dive into Disney at what we felt were the right time. Our experience in 2007-2013(ish) was built on childhood experiences that we individually loved but when we met each other combined into a super passion. In those years we were 3-4 a times a year which takes some effort since we live in Boston. We always had great hotel deals, renting DVC points, etc etc. I saved all my plans and looking back we could never recreate those trips 10 years later.
Things I’ll miss: paper fast pass and 2AM extra magic hours. Maybe I’m a grumpy but just feels like you get less these days.
You are not grumpy......You do get a lot less today.
Not to mention you are paying A LOT more.

We have gone every year for the past 15 or so so years....When covid settles, hopefully this summer or fall we will plan a return.
However, if these cheap microtransaction keep going we will never be annual visitors. Prob every 5 years, at best.

It's sad how the current management is really only focused on the shareholders. This I think will really turn around to haunt them. 350 million unhappy haunts.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom