With all the recent changes, have they impacted you wanting to go to Disney any time soon?

MickeyLuv'r

But that's the problem with the "good old days" arguments. Now you are comparing it to 1977 and that's fine. My 32 year old senior chemist went for the first time 2019 and loved it. How woukd she know it wasn't like it was in 1980, or even 1990 shes Planning on buying into dvc. I've said it before, I looked at all of Martin's videos and they look old boring and nothing spectacular. Why?? Because I wasn't there. It's not that your crazy it's just those arguments hold zero water. I hear all the time how stupendous Mr toads ride was, okay glad folks think so. Why would that effect someone going now?
Now the vast majority of folks here are old timers so it's a different experience.
People here complain about genie plus but I know plenty of young parents who have told me straight up they would pay any amount of money not to have to wait in line. Different priorities, different experiences
I think you missed the part where John said - "many visits over the years."

Second, huge difference between 2019 WDW and current WDW.

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. How strange though to argue that anyone - especially an inexperienced WDW visitor - has a more valid opinion than a well-informed customer.

John is allowed to post his opinion of WDW.

awoogala

We went in August and had an ok to good time, not our best ever trip, but still pretty good. Missed characters and restaurants and some other magic, but it was understandable with Covid.
Went in November for the run weekend, and had some fun, but the genie just decided for me that I'm not going back anytime soon.
I have an AP, it runs out in August- I'm just, for the first time in my life, not interested in the stress and cost and scheduling. I have no desire to have to study and plan and learn this new system, to master it so it is worthwhile, etc.
I might go to UNI again this year, because other than getting up early to make sure I get on Hagrid's, the rest of the trip was easy and unplanned. We always get the express passes, and it's just so much more relaxing.

Disstevefan1

They are invincible due to being a rite of passage for most people. I don't think they will ever go under but I do think the days of repeat visitors will drop.
While I do agree some repeat visitors may drop, there are plenty of folks that will come back and bring first timers along as well as first timers coming on their own.

This weekend I was watching a Vlogger at the Magic Kingdom and the Vlogger stating that it was the most crowded January he has ever seen. The video clearly showed the Magic Kingdom was MOBBED.

Historically, January WAS a non crowded time. Fact is, today, there is no longer a non crowded time at WDW.

I really do think in the long run, the pandemic will be shown to have HELPED WDW; creating pent up demand, enabling WDW to cut costs and raise prices, all in the name of COVID.

Jrb1979

While I do agree some repeat visitors may drop, there are plenty of folks that will come back and bring first timers along as well as first timers coming on their own.

This weekend I was watching a Vlogger at the Magic Kingdom and the Vlogger stating that it was the most crowded January he has ever seen. The video clearly showed the Magic Kingdom was MOBBED.

Historically, January WAS a non crowded time. Fact is, today, there is no longer a non crowded time at WDW.

I really do think in the long run, the pandemic will be shown to have HELPED WDW; creating pent up demand, enabling WDW to cut costs and raise prices, all in the name of COVID.
I still don't believe it was ever pent up demand. They are still running off of cancellations.

I do agree that Covid is what Disney wanted. They have been able to implement everything they have always wanted.

Rickcat96

I used my AP (purchased in 2019) for the first time December 12-18, 2020. It was a good trip for not being to the parks since 2019. Did get the passholder rate 30% off for the Boardwalk. $542 a night, I bagged my own trash, requested new towels and had my own coffee pot (did not want to get caught with NO coffee every morning)

Was it worth it? we did have a good time, Space220 was really good, Christmas after hours was a lot of fun, other than being so close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, it was not worth the value of $ we spent compared to our last trip.

We did not use Genie anything. We were able to ride everything we wanted including ROTR and Remy. Candlelight Processional was very good. We decided not to go anymore until December 2021 and get 1 more in before our current APs expire. J

eliza61nyc

I think you missed the part where John said - "many visits over the years."

Second, huge difference between 2019 WDW and current WDW.

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. How strange though to argue that anyone - especially an inexperienced WDW visitor - has a more valid opinion than a well-informed customer.

John is allowed to post his opinion of WDW.
???? Wait where did I say he wasn't allowed to post his opinion. I was simply pointing out that experience definitely contributes to an opinion. I pointed out the difference.
And it's not only Disney, in any situation it's very hard to use the good old days argument because people who weren't born can't relate.
Again no where did I say his opinion were not equal to anyone elses.
I don't really think it's a matter of being ignorant, I like to think I know what I'm getting when I book a trip

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

???? Wait where did I say he wasn't allowed to post his opinion. I was simply pointing out that experience definitely contributes to an opinion. I pointed out the difference.
And it's not only Disney, in any situation it's very hard to use the good old days argument because people who weren't born can't relate.
Again no where did I say his opinion were not equal to anyone elses.
Your post started by saying John was "comparing [today's WDW] to 1977." and later said that comparison, "holds zero water.'
To me, "holds zero water' = completely dismissive and = saying that opinion is not valid.

Even just above you say, "it is very hard to use the argument.' No, it isn't.

You are again attempting to invalidate an opinion that differs from yours. I'm sorry you can't see that.

FYI, I didn't read dismissiveness in his post at all. To me, he sounded light-hearted when he joked self-deprecatingly about his own returns to WDW and added a "Ha Ha." It was about as mild and qualified as a post could be.

Mostlly though, I posted to say pre-pandemic WDW of 2019 is vastly different from WDW 2022, especially if the pre-pandemic 2019 1st timer was being coached by a WDW veteran.

Young people would do well to heed the wisdom of the ages. They rely on it every moment of every day. There would be no WDW without it. WDW without technology = a swamp: no motors, no AC, no pools, no way to cook food, no toilets, no buildings....just swamp.

Most of us would not even be alive today if not for antibiotics and modern plumbing - you know - knowledge that was accrued before we were born.

yensid1967

I am not going back for a few years (2026), when things return to normal (if ever) AND offerings are back to justify the prices! But this trip will be a little different! We are focusing on other things to do for the week...Orlando has MANY things to do, not just theme parks. We will go to Disney only 2 days compared to 3-4 days! We will eat a big breakfast and snack in park to save money on food! We can always grab something during or after the park! (Orlando is like New York...never sleeps!) You can always find a 24-hour meal! We will be saving as much as we can in souvenirs...we will go to Walmart/Target (they have the same souvenirs as in park, just lower prices) and buy friends'/our souvenirs and reserve money for those FEW in park souvenirs.

StarWarsGirl

Well, considering I'm leaving in four days, the answer is no, Disney Genie and all that has no impact.

I did postpone Disneyland by a year in favor of Hawaii. It was actually (unbelievably) more expensive to go to Disneyland when all is said and done, and I'd like COVID to be a bit further in the past and the Genie+ nonsense to not be so new.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom