With all the recent changes, have they impacted you wanting to go to Disney any time soon?

tanc

Original Poster
Well, if you pop over to Universal's website, the price of a 1-day, 1-park ticket for this week is $159. If you want an Express Pass that is valid for one use per ride it will cost an additional $270-$290. A WDW ticket with Genie+ seems like a decent deal when compared to the neighbor down the road.
I think Universal is a better deal of you spend multiple days because the discounts are far better. 4 days at Disney is $105 a day without park hopper and 4 days at Universal with the train is $78. That's a pretty large difference. Of course, Disney is the better option for a single day.

The Universal system is more but also much different than Genie+. It really depends on what you want.

Last edited:

Raxel7851

Well, if you pop over to Universal's website, the price of a 1-day, 1-park ticket for this week is $159. If you want an Express Pass that is valid for one use per ride it will cost an additional $270-$290. A WDW ticket with Genie+ seems like a decent deal when compared to the neighbor down the road.
Thanks for the comparison Bob. Merry Christmas to you too!

Raxel7851

No, it is not cheap to buy it that way. But I find staying at Universal Portofino Bay is great since it includes free Express Pass for the duration.

With Genie+ all you get is the opportunity to book or buy Lightning Lanes for specific times you cannot control. Universal Express Pass lets you get on almost any ride, any time, more quickly without a reservation.
That’s not too bad of deal @STARSHIP! A lot different from Genie+.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think Universal is a better deal of you spend multiple days because the discounts are far better. 4 days at Disney is $105 a day without park hopper and 4 days at Universal with the train is $78. That's a pretty large difference. Of course, Disney is the better option for a single day.

The Universal system is more but also much different than Genie+. It really depends on what you want.
The US/IOA AP is also much more affordable and their on-site room rates border on 1/2 of Disney's.

Jrb1979

You have to remember it's not Disney. There is no Mickey mouse, no Star Wars and they have exposed coaster track. Plus a lot of the rides are too intense and thrilling.

CAV

You have to remember it's not Disney. There is no Mickey mouse, no Star Wars and they have exposed coaster track. Plus a lot of the rides are too intense and thrilling.
Why do I "have to remember its not Disney." Its that fatalistic view that encourages them to run roughshod over their clientele.

Jrb1979

Why do I "have to remember its not Disney." Its that fatalistic view that encourages them to run roughshod over their clientele.
It was meant to be a joke. I can't the amount of times I have heard the response that Universal is not Disney so why would I go there instead.

MarvelCharacterNerd

We are booked to go to WDW in May, but I am dreading it. We've had to cancel the past two years and our granddaughters really want to go. I used to go frequently many years ago when fastpass worked. I don't understand much about the Genie+ or any other new programs. Do we still have to pick a park and make reservations? I got an unofficial guide and am going to study it but I'm afraid things will undergo major changes before we get there. Not feeling the magic.
Yes, you still need individual park reservations for the park you want to start your day at (then you can park hop to any other park that still has availability in the afternoon if you have parkhopper tickets).

If you don't make a park reservation then you cannot get in even with tickets. You need tickets linked to a specific day and park reservation.

You can ignore Genie and Lightning Lane entirely if you want and just go on everything standby. The waits may be longer but it's simpler and you're not on your phone all the time.

eliza61nyc

It was meant to be a joke. I can't the amount of times I have heard the response that Universal is not Disney so why would I go there instead.
I think it's a very acceptable response. IMO the two parks are not interchangeable. So let me give my normal disclosure, I don't pick vacations sorely on the price tag. We don't like Harry Potter, my kids actually hated the movies so that's not a big draw.
Universal isn't Disney. Now which one gives the better value depends on the person and what you value in a vacation.

We're dvc members and the reason why we joined because we knew that we wanted to go for a long time.
We still love it but agree they are going nuts with the prices.

Merry Christmas all🎄🤶

Bugz

We went just a few weeks ago and will not be returning until (maybe) July 2022. We normally go twice a year but, after going here recently, I really have no interest in going anytime soon. Disney makes you pay way more for so much less. We did not use the Genie system while there. We don't want to be glued to our phones and of course we didn't pay the ridiculous $15.00 for it either. We rode what we wanted to and enjoyed ourselves. We are DVC so we stayed at the Poly and got to enjoy the extended hours (I think this is so wrong to only offer to deluxe resorts) and of course they didn't include Hollywood Studios so we could enjoy RotR. In my opinion, Bob Paycheck has done his best to nickel & dime us to death while killing the magic. Also, we will NOT be returning until the mask mandate is gone for good. We live in Texas and do not wear masks. Texas has very low numbers and Florida's are even lower. Also, I don't trust the CDC for anything anymore. Too much flip flopping.
I agree , the masks do nothing , and people are brainwashed into thinking that with them on no breath is expelled , let the virus run

Chef Mickey

The pricing changes with Genie+ and Lightning Lane are objectively terrible and I feel like they impact the operations of the parks. Not only do you have to pay for rides again, but the waits for the standard queues are longer because of it.

The staffing and training issues, particularly due to the cultural representatives not being back at EPCOT, are worrisome and impact the overall service Disney used to deliver consistently.

The complete and total reliance on the Disney App for everything is out of control and detracts from the experience.

The ride maintenance is at an all time low in my opinion.

Chef Mickey

I think it's a very acceptable response. IMO the two parks are not interchangeable. So let me give my normal disclosure, I don't pick vacations sorely on the price tag. We don't like Harry Potter, my kids actually hated the movies so that's not a big draw.
Universal isn't Disney. Now which one gives the better value depends on the person and what you value in a vacation.

We're dvc members and the reason why we joined because we knew that we wanted to go for a long time.
We still love it but agree they are going nuts with the prices.

Merry Christmas all🎄🤶
Totally agree. The content Universal has is the least appealing thing.

kevlightyear

In my heart, I realised during my Farewell Illuminations trip in September 2019 that it was a goodbye trip. WDW was redefining itself into a sad, cold experience. Little did I realise back then just how sad, what with that raging unstoppable virus, Bob Chapek, soon wreaking havoc on WDW.
It’s looking like this is my situation as well. For various reasons I don’t have any desire to go anytime soon. The value was consistently going down for years. It just doesn’t seem like the same place anymore. I still love it and will follow it, but I don’t feel the pull to return.

Patcheslee

Because we limit visits to once every 2 years, I feel like with less offerings right now isn't worth the amount we spend. The lack of evening magic hours without upgrading to resorts that just aren't our style doesn't help things. As a personal thing 1900 Park Fare dinner is usually a highlight of vacation, would feel very odd to miss out on. DD13 is obsessed with World Showcase, usually end up spending a whole day exploring, enjoying entertainment, talking with CMs.
We'll probably be back at some point, but there's no immediate plans until Disney steps up their game. Until then there's a long list of other places in the US to explore.

Chef Mickey

Is it the IP you aren't attached to or is it the rides that you don't like? For me personally I find the Universal does a better job at mixing thrills with theming.
It's definitely a lack of attachment to the IP. A lot of what makes Disney great is childhood nostalgia and I wouldn't pretend that is not a factor.

I do think Disney has some fantastic theming and thrilling content despite not trying to maximize thrills. The thrills are at Six Flags, Cedar Point, etc.

The theming in a ride like Expedition Everest is pretty amazing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom