Witch Deluxe resort w/ kids?

ConNH

Which Deluxe resort w/ kids?

Were going to WDW for 12 days at the end of September.
We have the opportunity to stay @ a deluxe resort the last four nights. I have two boys 4 and 8 months so I thought the AKL... but Im not sure Poly sounds cool too and WL...? Anyone have any suggestions?

WDWspider

Originally posted by ConNH
Were going to WDW for 12 days at the end of September.
We have the opportunity to stay @ a deluxe resort the last four nights. I have two boys 4 and 8 months so I thought the AKL... but Im not sure Poly sounds cool too and WL...? Anyone have any suggestions?

You're right, any of those three would be good. Maybe AKL will be a little more exciting for the kids, but all have great pools and recreation for the kids and adults.

Upvote 0

disneydudette

PR.....we stayed there....

its a smaller resort...easier to find the kids....and they have an awsome kids program!! Plus the monorail is right there and an awsome charater breakfast!

But..theres no food court!

AKL...may be to overwelming for a 4 year old....IMO its not worth it....plus its so far from the other theme parks...long bus rides....

WL...i wanted to stay there....never been there...but I hear the theme is incredible!

IMO go with the PR:wave:

Upvote 0

LoriL

With kids those ages, I would advise you to stay at the Polynesian. It's on the monorail (which is as much fun as a ride in the park at that age!), right next to the Magic Kingdom, which cuts down your travel time significantly, and there are nice restaurants (Kona Cafe is very good, and easy to get into for any meal), a fantastic pool, and larger rooms than at the other resorts you mention. The Tahiti building rooms all have two sinks, which is important if you are constantly washing out bottles and/or sippy cups! It's also very close to the TTC (walking distance) so that you can catch a monorail at either place, making it very convenient.

For your 4 year old, there is also the Neverland Club, the best kids' activity center in the World. The theming of this resort is also very exciting for small boys-- my son loved the waterfalls and the baby ducks that were living in the stream near the volcano pool. Have fun!

The AKL is gorgeous, but I'd stay there when my kids were older and less Magic-Kingdom oriented. It's just so far away from the MK, and from everything else. Plus not on the monorail.

Upvote 0

mburk

Not having kids, I had to confer with a colleague on this. He will only stay at PR. Likes the monorail for the strollers, doesn't like the buses. And he spends most of his time at MK with afternoons back at the resort, so it works out well. No food court sounds like a bummer, though.

Oh btw, I know we use lots of abbreviations on these boards and type quickly, but "witch" deluxe resort cracked me up. (Sorry, my -retentive accounting background is showing.) :D

Upvote 0

Grumpy 70

I have to tell you being a parent myself. I would stay at the Poly. It is a monorail resort and it is so close to the TTC. This will allow you to use the monorail to get to Epcot as well as MK. Especially if you plan on using a stoller. You can just wheel the stroller right onto the monorail and not disturb your child. I also find that the wait for monorails is very short compared to the wait for the buses.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

I think Animal Kingdom Lodge is the best deluxe resort...I don't agree with the "long bus rides" thing...we never waited more than 15 minutes on a bus. The thing with disney is you are generally either close to everything else but not the MK, or close to the MK and nothing else. If your kids like animals, I'd take Animal Kingdom Lodge any day. Both resorts feature quite a bit of walking...but at Animal Kingdom Lodge, the walking is all inside...and there are animal viewpoints all through the resort...

Upvote 0
We travel every year with children the ages you are traveling with...and more! The kids always pick the Polynesian...the adults always pick the Grand Floridian! On top of the monorail being so accesible to the Magic Kingdom, there is also a boat that travels between the GF and the PR and the Magic Kingdom. It's wonderful. The kids love chasing the ducks across the beach...and of course the electical boat parade stops in front of both resorts. Also...you can watch the castle change colors and view the fireworks everynight from the beach. Awesome!

Upvote 0

disneyman15

I'm Surrounded by Idiots
Go with the Polynesian. I love that resort and so did my whole family. It has a great atmosphere and is easily accesible to get to Magic Kingdom which most kids love.

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

my initial thought was that AKL would be my choice for kids that age because of the factor of having live animals right outside your room.... BUT after reading through the posts on the thread, i'm now going with all the others that said Poly...they brought up some great points! i think the kids would love the tropical feel and the monorail, and being so close to the MK, etc!
BUT, if for some reason Poly doesn't work out and you can't get into it, for whatever reason, Wilderness Lodge would definately be my 2nd choice! they may not have the monorail, but they do have a boat to get to & from MK...so if your kids aren't scared of water, then they may enjoy that as well...only bad thing is that it takes longer for boats, so the wait is longer.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I've stayed at both resorts (with children) and think, AT THEIR AGE, that you'll be happier at the Polynesian. My son LOVES AKL, but he's older; when he was still in a stroller, the Polynesian was just so much more convenient. We ended up coming back to the hotel for naps and pool time every day, and ended up spending most of our time at MK.

Although there isn't a food court, there is a cafeteria style area where you can get quick meals and food to go. I usually purchased a fruit platter and milk for afternoon snacks....mostly to assuage my guilt over all of the fries eaten at the parks! ;)

Upvote 0

goofyfan13

Im thinking either Poly, AKL, or WL, would be the best for kids. AKL i know would be a neat experience for the kids to be able to just walk outside of your room and see free-roaming animals, WL is also cool becuase when I was younger it was my favorite hotel (still is one of my favorites) when I was younger the lobby and the pool area I loved, and being able to have bunk beds was cool, which they also have at AKL. Poly, I haven't been there in a while but a will be there on sunday. I remember though that I have always loved the hotel whenever we visit and with being able to just jump on the monorail and get right to MK or EPCOT was always a cool thing. These are just my thoughts on the resorts.

Disney World Tomorrow!!!! AKL 26th-27th
DCL 27th-30th
Poly 30th- July 5th

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

Even if you don't pick Animal Kingdom Lodge, do at least take the time during your 12-day trip to head over to Animal Kingdom Lodge for a few hours and eat at either Boma or Jiko...I think your kids would like Boma more. OH! Animal Kingdom Lodge has two hot tubs! Poly doesn't have one! I'm going back to Disney in August, and although I'm not staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge again (we can't afford that after staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge for 9 nights in February!), we are going to stop by there for breakfast at Boma! It's such an amazing Resort!!!

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Well, I've stayed at both. And we are going back in October (and staying at AKL again). I love AKL, but I see the other points on being close to the MK.

And with small kids, that is were you'll spend most you time, so I'd say Poly (or there MK resorts) until ther a bit older. Then AKL all the way.

The bus rides are are not long at all, and I never have waited more that 10 min for a bus. I've certainly waiting longer than 10 min to get on the monorail when it's busy. And for that point alone I'd never agree with the busses vrs monorail arguments. I just don't find them that much more convienant over the WDW bus system.

But for someone with small children and strollers, from MK to Poly would be easier, that MK to AKL. And it would allow you quicker mid-day breaks if needed.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

The Polynesian will probably be the best bet only because of the amount of childrens activities. Also remember that the price of a room between the three resorts you listed will vary. The Polynesian (please do not use Poly) is a more expensive resort than Wilderness Lodge and the Standard Rooms at AKL. Another resort you might want to look at would be the Boardwalk. Your kids would probably like that too (nice pool, easy transportation, and the boardwalk right downstairs).

Upvote 0

Disneyfan101

We were just at the Polynesian the first week of June and the kids loved it (10 year old and two 16 year olds). The adults and children all loved it. It was our 3rd trip to the Polynesian. Its beautiful and convenient. The kids loved the volcano pool and the beach. You will just love the nightly electric water parade and the fireworks over the MK.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom