• Yes

Votes: 645 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 81 10.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 8.2%

• Total voters

SteamboatJoe

If I were to judge Disney's target demographic from most of the ads, Their target demographic would be 2-5 year olds.

And the parents deciding to bring those 2-5 year olds to WDW are mostly millenials like me who were children during the Disney Renaissance. Sure we love, appreciate, and respect the classics that came before us but our deepest emotional Disney ties are to the films (and associated products) that were released during our childhood.

Ewizaboof

I love this show.

I was astounded by the love they gave some really unloved Disney movies (HUNCHBACK AND HERCULES????) and I loved the lack of focus on newer overused movies.

The theme song is garbage but they hardly use it.

I also LOVED the references to wishes in it (tinkerbell, the blue fairy firework as the little snippet of when you wish upon a star is played)

Wishes had a phenomenal score but the show itself was so boring, I never ever stayed for wished, instead going to Epcot or Studios for their superior spectaculars. This was a phenomenal show.

brb1006

I'd sacrifice HEA for Spectromagic or the Main Street Electrical Parade easily, even if it meant 6 minutes of Fantasy in the Sky. But they shocked us with HEA and we have to admit none of us saw that coming so god only knows what's going to happen with a light parade. Now that Wishes is gone they need to have a balance for the mood of the night in that park. Spectromagic balanced out the mood when it ran alongside Fantasy in the sky which also had allot of spunk to it.
And Wishes since both were hosted by Jiminy

brb1006

I would be shocked if FoF weren't replaced by 2021.
I felt like FoF existed to kind of celebrate the completion of New Fantasyland. Reminds me of how Disneyland had "Flights Of Fantasy" back in 1983 to celebrate the completion of their New Fantasyland. Hopefully FoF won't last as long at the layout for Share A Dream Come True Parade which used the same floats but changed the parades name and different music (The Mickey float got changed the most).

RandySavage

I re-watched Ignite the Dream and this show a few times on youtube to better understand why two Castle Spectaculars with a lot similarities (in scope, in tech, in content) result in one leaving me feeling flat (Shanghai's) and the other really having a great impact (this new MK show). I surmise:

-Purpose and quality/clarity of the projections. For the first time (in my view) the castle feels less like a backdrop upon which to project famous film clips and more like a well-thought-out, integrated part of the show/story (i.e., having its get burned/blown up and then restored).
-Brevity/mash-up of musical sequences. I think mixing up a lot of the films/songs (e.g., Aladdin/Tarzan) really works well and just enough time is spent on each property without over-lingering on one particular song (something Shanghai does).
-Freshness of content. As noted by many, the HEA eschews many songs that have been done to death (Let it Go, Be Out Guest, When you wish, etc.). Shanghai dwells on the over-used (granted, they are likely much less tired for the Chinese)
-Original voice-over, script and music. I thought the script was pretty thoughtful for a Disney show and voice-over guy was stellar. Also like the new book-end song.
-Setting. The new Hub towers really widen the vista and make the castle feel more impressive and the tall trees on the sides form a natural frame. Shanghai's castle's lacks these elements and sits high and isolated, as opposed to integrated with its neighboring features. The opening fanfare imagery of the HEA clip below is pure epicness.

For Comparison
Shanghai:

MK:

brb1006

True, but I won't complain if we get a carbon copy of Tokyo's Dreamlights!
I would rather have Spectromagic been given the same treatment Tokyo did with Dreamlights but given the parade a major makeover by updating some of the floats and adding a good balance with newer and old Disney films.

brb1006

And "Wrecking the Camp" (Only Disney movie soundtrack I've purchased was Tarzan's and it got a work out). I think it's become an underrated film, as much as Hercules and Hunchback so I love the inclusion. We should be happy they use less featured properties and not the same old.

I'll also happily take Moana, Princess and The Frog and Tangled over Frozen which has been used to death and if this fireworks show came before Moana we'd certainly get Frozen in Moana's spot. How many times can they do When You Wish Upon a Star (which you can still hear a bit of in the new show), etc. I think there's a very nice balance between new and old. IMO.

I do wish there was a stronger Alice in Wonderland presence. I haven't seen Once Upon a Time, is it in there or no? And Beauty and the Beast of course has a strong presence there.
Alice is in Ounce Upon A Time but it's shorter compared to the original Tokyo version.

21stamps

I re-watched Ignite the Dream and this show a few times on youtube to better understand why two Castle Spectaculars with a lot similarities (in scope, in tech, in content) result in one leaving me feeling flat (Shanghai's) and the other really having a great impact (this new MK show). I surmise:

-Purpose and quality/clarity of the projections. For the first time (in my view) the castle feels less like a backdrop upon which to project famous film clips and more like a well-thought-out, integrated part of the show/story (i.e., having its get burned/blown up and then restored).
-Brevity/mash-up of musical sequences. I think mixing up a lot of the films/songs (e.g., Aladdin/Tarzan) really works well and just enough time is spent on each property without over-lingering on one particular song (something Shanghai does).
-Freshness of content. As noted by many, the HEA eschews many songs that have been done to death (Let it Go, Be Out Guest, When you wish, etc.). Shanghai dwells on the over-used (granted, they are likely much less tired for the Chinese)
-Original voice-over, script and music. I thought the script was pretty thoughtful for a Disney show and voice-over guy was stellar. Also like the new book-end song.
-Setting. The new Hub towers really widen the vista and make the castle feel more impressive and the tall trees on the sides form a natural frame. Shanghai's castle's lacks these elements and sits high and isolated, as opposed to integrated with its neighboring features. The opening fanfare imagery of the HEA clip below is pure epicness.

For Comparison
Shanghai:

MK:

What you described is everything I loved about Celebrate the Magic!! I think it's wonderful if similarities are in this new show!!

(This part isn't directed at you)
For all of the people who constantly compare the international parks to the domestic parks.. how often do you attend the others? Annually?

brb1006

Well that's just ridiculous. It'll be 8 1/2 years old by then. I was using logic to assume it'd be replaced for a major celebration (clearly a dangerous technique).

This is an honest question--do people not care for daytime parades anymore? They have gone from a major focus for WDW to barely noticeable. They were the focus of 100 Years of Magic.

I almost never see FoF because it's hot as hell or pouring rain at 3 pm so not worth the effort. It's a lovely parade when I've seen it.
I remember Share A Dream Come True Parade was very prominent during the 100 Years Of Magic Celebration. I remember how special the parade was during the day mainly when it used to have show stops from 2001-2003.

Ewizaboof

For those saying the show is a bit disjointed between its segments, I want to remind you that just because Wishes had Jiminy narrating the segues that doesn't mean that made Wishes more cohesive. The part with the villains pretty much comes out of nowhere and ends with a Deus ex Machina, and Jiminy's narration really doesn't explain things as much as say, "Hey, looka that!"

To wit, here's his intro and outro to the villains segment...

[JIMINY]
Like a bolt out of the blue,
fate steps in and sees you through.
When you wish upon a star,
your dreams...come true.
Ha-ha.
Sometimes, wishes can be granted in the most unexpected ways.
Really, is that how wishes 'work'... why in unexpected ways and just not in the most direct and efficient way?
[GENIE]
Whoa! 10,000 Years can give ya such a crick in the neck.
Hello people, up here, come on, we've got some wishes to grant!

[JIMINY]
Uh oh, now don’t worry.
Just remember, always let your conscience be your guide.
Let your conscience be
your guide…let your conscience be your guide…
And that helps against adversity, how? And why doesn't that keep the villains from being villainous?
[SNOW QUEEN]
Slaves in the magic mirror, come from the farthest space.
Through wind and darkness, I summon thee.
Let me see thy face.
A blast of wind, to find my fate.
A thunderbolt, to cast my spell.
Alas, grant me my wish as well.
HaHaHaHaHa

[JIMINY]
You know folks, you gotta be careful what you wish for around here, or you'll get yourself in an awful mess.
Really? Who wished for that bad stuff? I thought you said that this mess was a result of wishes granted in "unexpected ways"
But just when things look bad, fate steps in to see you through.
We'll I'll be, it's the Blue Fairy!
So, is it fate, or my wishing that gets the job done? And in a world with fate, why bother doing anything? Let the fairies take care of it.

So, given a choice between a moment of silence to queue up the next section, or hokey narration that somehow blames imprudent wishing or Mickey's nightmares for the appearance of villains... I chose silence.
How dare you call fant out like that (lol)

Ewizaboof

I'm sure many also didn't come to realize that the opening chords has a similarity to an opening of another show over at the studios...It's a bit off....But, when you hum it....It's there...
i_v_m8.gif

LITERALLY me and my BF were watching this and I turned to him and was like.....
Fantasmic?

He told me he was thinking the same thing. Glad we werent the only ones.

aladdin2007

I would rather have Spectromagic been given the same treatment Tokyo did with Dreamlights but given the parade a major makeover by updating some of the floats and adding a good balance with newer and old Disney films.

me too, and they could have easily done that without baring grander expense of something from scratch. but no. Heads should have rolled for what happened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom