Votes: 645 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 81 10.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 8.2%

• Total voters

Buried20KLeague

Wh...

That's literally a win-win situation. Cutting costs in a way that nobody notices is exactly the way they should be cutting costs (if this is, in fact, a cost cutting initiative, which we've seen no evidence of whatsoever.)

I didn't say nobody will notice. I said the casual guest won't notice. A high percentage of people on this board (for example) will.

The casual guest also doesn't notice the yeti doesn't move, yet that's infurating to hundreds on this site. Does it make it a good cost cutting move that they haven't fixed it then, since the casual guest won't notice?

CaptainAmerica

If you don't think that press release was written to subtly push their agenda, we should have a chat about how PR works.

Also that this was all released around the Mommy Bloggers being wined and dined.

All this is calculated. Hence the calculated response.
Who cares? Of course it's PR. That's what PR is. The PR has literally nothing to do with the show quality. If Disney announced they were cutting prices by 10% and building a villains gate, you'd complain about it because they announced it to the mommy bloggers and used carefully selected language.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Happily Ever After will be a nice length at 18 minutes. While it will likely rely alot on projections for that length of a show, they also still do refer to it as a "fireworks spectacular"

From: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/magic-kingdom/happily-ever-after-fireworks/

Gather ‘round Cinderella Castle for an awe-inspiring show that’s sure to surprise and delight.

The Stories
Happily Ever After starts with a dream… and takes you on an unforgettable journey that captures the heart, humor and heroism of many favorite Disney animated films, including:

• Aladdin
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Frozen
  • The Lion King
  • The Little Mermaid
  • Moana
  • Peter Pan
  • The Princess and the Frog
  • Toy Story
Come experience the magic of these beloved movies firsthand—and be inspired to find your own happily ever after.

Show Features & Special Effects
This 18-minute show features more lasers, lights and projections than any other fireworks spectacular in the history of Magic Kingdom park!

Throughout Happily Ever After, you’ll witness the many transformations of Cinderella Castle as it becomes a part of popular Disney stories—and is brought to life by:

• Awe-inspiring fireworks and rooftop pyro
  • Supportive state-of-the-art projections
  • Brilliant lasers and immersive lighting
  • A stirring score featuring contemporary versions of popular Disney songs
It all comes together in a dazzling way—for a fantastical finale to your day at Magic Kingdom park.

The two things that frighten me about this:

"This 18-minute show features more lasers, lights and projections than any other fireworks spectacular in the history of Magic Kingdom park!" - Maybe it's just me, but when I think of a "fireworks spectacular", I don't think of lasers, lights, and projections, I think of FIREWORKS. Guess I'm old fashioned that way... (And I hate the term "Magic Kingdom Park")

"A stirring score featuring contemporary versions of popular Disney songs" - Ugh. Is this to appeal to the dreaded millennial-and-younger crowd, who only know about "contemporary" Disney music? Maybe I'm just reading too much into this and the score will be fine, but this is today's TDO we're talking about. Synergy! Merchandising! Brand! MAGIC!!!

One reason I don't like projection shows - You can't see them from anywhere outside of the hub, in the case of MK. With 'Wishes!', you could see the show from a multitude of locations, most of which piped in the music, and thus you knew where in the show you were even if you arrived late.

CaptainAmerica

The casual guest also doesn't notice the yeti doesn't move, yet that's infurating to hundreds on this site. Does it make it a good cost cutting move that they haven't fixed it then, since the casual guest won't notice?
Yes. Because the people who do notice and complain are going to complain about something no matter what, as you're demonstrating full well right now.

HMF

My goodness you guys are miserable. We just got a major new show announced and everyone's reaction is "blah I bet it'll suck and be cheap and watered down. Classic TDO."

No, not classic TDO. Classic WDWMagic.
They have not given us many reasons to be optimistic in recent years. Just because something is "New" does not make it better. I think that point is being proven very well by what's happening at DCA's Tower of Terror.

CaptainAmerica

Well at opening, Reflections of Earth had 1105 firework shells. Wishes had 683. Over the years those have varied, but RoE certainly isn't pyro light.
I'm not a pyro / show expert. I just mean, as a viewer, IllumiNations doesn't "feel" like a fireworks show. It feels like a "nighttime spectacular that also has fireworks." Wishes feels like a fireworks show, period. I wasn't commenting on the number of shells.

When talking about Wishes, I say "do you want to watch the fireworks tonight?" When talking about IllumiNations, I say "do you want to watch IllumiNations tonight?"

Ryan H. Serowinski

Happily Ever After will be a nice length at 18 minutes. While it will likely rely alot on projections for that length of a show, they also still do refer to it as a "fireworks spectacular"

From: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/magic-kingdom/happily-ever-after-fireworks/

Gather ‘round Cinderella Castle for an awe-inspiring show that’s sure to surprise and delight.

The Stories
Happily Ever After starts with a dream… and takes you on an unforgettable journey that captures the heart, humor and heroism of many favorite Disney animated films, including:

• Aladdin
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Frozen
  • The Lion King
  • The Little Mermaid
  • Moana
  • Peter Pan
  • The Princess and the Frog
  • Toy Story
Come experience the magic of these beloved movies firsthand—and be inspired to find your own happily ever after.

Show Features & Special Effects
This 18-minute show features more lasers, lights and projections than any other fireworks spectacular in the history of Magic Kingdom park!

Throughout Happily Ever After, you’ll witness the many transformations of Cinderella Castle as it becomes a part of popular Disney stories—and is brought to life by:

• Awe-inspiring fireworks and rooftop pyro
  • Supportive state-of-the-art projections
  • Brilliant lasers and immersive lighting
  • A stirring score featuring contemporary versions of popular Disney songs
It all comes together in a dazzling way—for a fantastical finale to your day at Magic Kingdom park.

They better stop rejecting Tangled from night shows, because they look away Celebrate the Magic for NO stupid reason :mad:

MerlinTheGoat

It's funny, but the thing that made me cringe most of all (more than even the hints at fewer fireworks in favor of projections and lasers) about that PR statement earlier was "contemporary versions of classic Disney songs". I hope to god that doesn't mean pop, rap, hiphop, rock etc. Keep those songs in a classical style, especially given the setting you're performing the music in...

Laketravis

That doesn't mean it HAS TO be that way. Please google "cognitive dissonance." People complain that nothing ever changes at WDW. Then they complain about every single change that does happen just because things won't be exactly as they were before.

Believe it or not, I don't need to google cognitive dissonance because I'm fully aware of what it is. I do think you missed my comment about how I think nobody comes close to Disney when it comes to night time shows. That could be the result of a google search for "Myopic". :)

Buried20KLeague

Who cares? Of course it's PR. That's what PR is. The PR has literally nothing to do with the show quality. If Disney announced they were cutting prices by 10% and building a villains gate, you'd complain about it because they announced it to the mommy bloggers and used carefully selected language.

Your analogies are both realistic and well thought out.

SoupBone

It's funny, but the thing that made me cringe most of all (more than even the hints at fewer fireworks in favor of projections and lasers) about that PR statement earlier was "contemporary versions of classic Disney songs". I hope to god that doesn't mean pop, rap, hiphop, rock etc. Keep those songs in a classical style, especially given the setting you're performing the music in...

I didn't even notice this. They can take this new show right off the nearest cliff if that's what this means.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom