Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

wtyy21

How can you guys think of Chicken Little for a time like this? Wish is in danger and it’s going to flop thanks to the critics and the Napoleon movie! :rolleyes:
Wish and Napoleon had very different audiences (PG and R-rated respectively). so i regards of it, Wish may still save for theatrical box office run until Aquaman and The Lost Kingdom (as well as Wonka because of same PG rating as Wish) released at theatres nationwide next month.

Even if Wish fails at theatrical run, it may still achieve success in other fields, such as merchandise, soundtrack, and digital releases of the film.

mickEblu

Just saw it. It was Ok. Thought like 2-3 of the songs were good but I can’t remember the hooks. The middle of the movie in the Forest was the highlight. The voice actress who plays Asha did a good job and King Magnifico makes a decent villain. The movie hits all the notes but barely and not strong enough. I don’t think I really felt anything. Didn’t laugh once. Not one person laughed out loud through the entire movie actually. No tear jerking moments. Plenty of fun Easter eggs. Plot is ok but Im always pretty forgiving of a weak plot in Disney animated movies as long as the songs are good and the world building is there. Not crazy about the animation style but I didn’t notice it after the first 30 minutes. I thought the nighttime scenes looked very nice especially that one tree where she makes a Wish. But it lacked the visual appeal that say Elemental had in certain scenes.

For anyone that’s sad about the 7 hipsters being canceled in Live Action Snow White you get a taste of them in this movie. Her group of friends look like background characters from Frozen. They re not interesting or funny and not nearly deserving of the amount of screen time they get. That’s my biggest issue with the movie. A lot of screen time to devoted to boring characters we don’t care about. They also feel a bit Focus Group-y.

Last edited:

Figment1984

Disney released the music demo's for a few of the songs on their Youtube channel today. One thing that stood out to me was At All Costs was very blatantly written as a love song between Asha and... some other character (presumably Star when he was originally a human). Interesting to see how they repurposed the song because it certainly felt out of place in the movie, but I still enjoyed it.

Sir_Cliff

Wish is still tipped to be #1 over Thanksgiving Weekend. Very much get the impression that audience response to the film will be a big factor in terms of how big the number will be, so will be interested to see how the drop offs and audience scores are by the end of the weekend.

TsWade2

Wish is still tipped to be #1 over Thanksgiving Weekend. Very much get the impression that audience response to the film will be a big factor in terms of how big the number will be, so will be interested to see how the drop offs and audience scores are by the end of the weekend.

Good! Let's keep it that way until it ends in theaters in February or something like that!:)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Whatever it is, it was chosen for the specific reason of being able to achieve the goals of the DEI team. To make the “traditional” Disney/ European fairytale but have the freedom to be inclusive. In other words to have their cake and eat it too. European fairy tales in the Mediterranean 200 years ago looking like a modern day melting pot feels inauthentic.
Felt authentic to me based on the story they were trying to tell. Island Kingdom created and populated by visitors who came to see the wonder of the wish granting king and stayed. It literally could have been anywhere, the location was irrelevant to the story.

Sir_Cliff

Whatever it is, it was chosen for the specific reason of being able to achieve the goals of the DEI team. To make the “traditional” Disney/ European fairytale but have the freedom to be inclusive. In other words to have their cake and eat it too. European fairy tales in the Mediterranean 200 years ago looking like a modern day melting pot feels inauthentic.
Mulan speaks with an American accent and the animals of the African savannah talk to one another. This is a fictional kingdom loosely based on a region with a long history of ethnic and racial diversity which is also reflected in the architectural style depicted in the film. If the film being too racially inclusive takes you out of it, that might not be an issue with Disney's DEI team.

LittleBuford

No that’s my point. This is the new Disney. Inclusion above authenticity and yet there is room for both and it can be done right.
I suppose I don't understand your point. As you yourself just acknowledged in relation to Pirates of the Caribbean, Disney has hardly been a stickler for historical or demographic accuracy in the past. It isn't clear to me why anyone would expect greater "authenticity" (whatever that may mean in this context) from a fairytale-style story set in a mythical kingdom.

mickEblu

Mulan speaks with an American accent and the animals of the African savannah talk to one another. This is a fictional kingdom loosely based on a region with a long history of ethnic and racial diversity which is also reflected in the architectural style depicted in the film. If the film being too racially inclusive takes you out of it, that might not be an issue with Disney's DEI team.

I wouldn’t say it took me out of it but it’s something I’m conscious and aware of and yet I still continue to give my money to Disney. A lot of people aren’t anymore and I think they need to be honest with themselves and look into it.

Sir_Cliff

I wouldn’t say it took me out of it but it’s something I’m conscious and aware of and yet I still continue to give my money Disney. A lot of people aren’t anymore and I think they need to be honest with themselves and look into it.
If the film isn't very good (i.e. if audiences agree with critics), then I do think Disney needs to examine why their recent animated films haven't been working. I'm less sympathetic to the argument that they need to segregate their films more by race and ethnicity as mixing them makes some viewers uncomfortable. In this case, they've come up with a fictional kingdom where it really shouldn't be an issue, so if it is for some people I don't think Disney should be focussing on that part of their audience to remain a viable studio.

mickEblu

If the film isn't very good (i.e. if audiences agree with critics), then I do think Disney needs to examine why their recent animated films haven't been working. I'm less sympathetic to the argument that they need to segregate their films more by race and ethnicity as mixing them makes some viewers uncomfortable. In this case, they've come up with a fictional kingdom where it really shouldn't be an issue, so if it is for some people I don't think Disney should be focussing on that part of their audience to remain a viable studio.

Uncomfortable is a strong word.

They came up with a fictional kingdom in this case because they re focused on the wrong things. Granted what I’m highlighting here is far from their biggest issue at the moment or the biggest issue with the movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom