Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Vegas Disney Fan

Box office looks ugly on this one

U-G-L-Y…you ain’t got no alibi

We have no plans on seeing this in the theater, will wait for D+, but we did throw down $30 for the popcorn bucket today. If they can sell several million of these they may just break even.

IMG_0341.jpeg

LittleBuford

You can make the same point about me being overwhelmingly negative.
You’ll note I didn’t say anything about your negative view of the films. It’s your prerogative to hate them. What I criticised you for is misrepresenting what the dusters among us post in these threads.

Trauma

You’ll note I didn’t say anything about your negative view of the films. It’s your prerogative to hate them. What I criticised you for is misrepresenting what the dusters among us post in these threads.
I’ll stand by my representation if we are talking dusters as a collective instead of specific individuals.

However at the end of the day it doesn’t matter what any of us think.

It’s all about the $$$. ( Or lack thereof )

LittleBuford

I’ll stand by my representation if we are talking dusters as a collective instead of specific individuals.

However at the end of the day it doesn’t matter what any of us think.

It’s all about the $$$. ( Or lack thereof )
For me personally, it's all about my enjoyment of the product. Some of my favourite Disney films of all time were box-office disappointments upon their release. How much a film makes has very little bearing on my response to it.

Jedijax719

So is 82% audience scores considered bad or good or neither? It has a 48% on metacritic which is atrocious.

Thing about RT is that a 50% is called "mixed" but it is a green splat of rotten tomatoes. Seems rather disingenuous to say that score is mixed. The plot of the movie actually seems quite good. The execution must be SO bad though. Not sure what the @#$% is going on with Disney animation anymore. Seems they need as long, if not longer, of a break from MCU and animated films as SW has gotten.

Trauma

For me personally, it's all about my enjoyment of the product. Some of my favourite Disney films of all time were box-office disappointments upon their release. How much a film makes has very little bearing on my response to it.
That’s great.

For me it’s all about money.

I’m tired of the parks being run into the ground to help finance all the other company failures.

Ghost93

If the film isn't very good (i.e. if audiences agree with critics), then I do think Disney needs to examine why their recent animated films haven't been working. I'm less sympathetic to the argument that they need to segregate their films more by race and ethnicity as mixing them makes some viewers uncomfortable. In this case, they've come up with a fictional kingdom where it really shouldn't be an issue, so if it is for some people I don't think Disney should be focussing on that part of their audience to remain a viable studio.
Having had time to think the movie through, I think one main problem with the film is that there is no strong central relationship focused on in the movie that would heighten the emotional stakes. I don't mean there needed to be a romance, but some kind of dynamic to latch onto.

Encanto had Mirabel and her family, Frozen had the Anna/Elsa sisterly dynamic, Tangled had Rapunzel and Flynn, BIg Hero Six had Hiro and Baymax (who is a stand in for his brother Tadashi).

I feel like the filmmakers couldn't decide whether the emotional center of the movie is Asha's relationship with her grandfather, her friends, the Queen or the Star....so they kinda tried to do them all and ended up short-changing all of them. Really the only character relationship I found particularly compelling was the complicated marriage between King Magnifico and his wife, and that's only a subplot.

LittleBuford

Having had time to think the movie through, I think one main problem with the film is that there is no strong central relationship focused on in the movie that would heighten the emotional stakes. I don't mean there needed to be a romance, but some kind of dynamic to latch onto.

Encanto had Mirabel and her family, Frozen had the Anna/Elsa sisterly dynamic, Tangled had Rapunzel and Flynn, BIg Hero Six had Hiro and Baymax (who is a stand in for his brother Tadashi).

I feel like the filmmakers couldn't decide whether the emotional center of the movie is Asha's relationship with her grandfather, her friends, the Queen or the Star....so they kinda tried to do them all and ended up short-changing all of them. Really the only character relationship I found particularly compelling was the complicated marriage between King Magnifico and his wife, and that's only a subplot.
I haven't seen Wish yet, so I can't really comment on any of this knowledgably, but I miss the days of classic Disney romances. It's been ages since they've made a real love story. (I'm referring specifically to animated features from Walt Disney Studios.)

mickEblu

Good point on no strong relationships. The older classics didn’t really have that either but they more than made up that in other ways.

What did you think of that group of friends? I found them to be quite the boring bunch. Not funny. Not interesting. Poorly designed. Can’t believe how much screen time they got.

Miss Rori

A common complaint in negative reviews is, indeed, "There are no stakes to the story." The people of Rosas supposedly have a core part of their being taken from them, but they seem happy enough and the kingdom is thriving. Since there's not a pressing need to save them until after Asha's actions drive the King to extreme evil measures, and the story isn't about her making up for endangering them, any emotional torque comes from interpersonal relationships and pretty much none of the reviewers cite those as a memorable element of the film, the way people loved Anna and Elsa's relationship or the family ties in Encanto.

Miss Rori

Good point on no strong relationships. The older classics didn’t really have that either but they more than made up that in other ways.

What did you think of that group of friends? I found them to be quite the boring bunch. Not funny. Not interesting. Poorly designed. Can’t believe how much screen time they got.
YouTube reviewer Brad Jones argued that those seven characters could have been reduced to one for all the impact they had on the plot and character dynamics.

Ghost93

YouTube reviewer Brad Jones argued that those seven characters could have been reduced to one for all the impact they had on the plot and character dynamics.
That might have worked better. Instead of 7 underdeveloped friend characters, we could have gotten one really strong friend character.

Early concept art showed Star taking human form. While the final version of Star is adorable, if Star was an actual character with dialogue that could communicate with Asha, maybe the Asha/Star friendship/alliance could have been the heart of the film.

mickEblu

Seems like they really wanted to play on the 7 Dwarfs thing at all costs. Funny because it was the weakest of all the Easter Eggs/ references.

Ghost93

I didn't hate or love them. They were just there. The best thing about her friends is that they lent their vocals to the best song in the film, "Knowing What I Know Know." That song is amazing.

Farerb

That might have worked better. Instead of 7 underdeveloped friend characters, we could have gotten one really strong friend character.

Early concept art showed Star taking human form. While the final version of Star is adorable, if Star was an actual character with dialogue that could communicate with Asha, maybe the Asha/Star friendship/alliance could have been the heart of the film.
Not only was Star supposed to be human, there was supposed to be a romance between Asha and Star, At All Costs was supposed to be their love duet - they repurposed the song and the original lyrics were "love you as one does" and they changed it to "promise as one does".
I think they should have removed the seven useless friends and even the annoying goat, and focus on the relationship between Asha and Star and the relationship between her and her grandfather (it's not as strong as Moana and her grandmother).

mickEblu

I didn't hate or love them. They were just there. The best thing about her friends is that they lent their vocals to the best song in the film, "Knowing What I Know Know." That song is amazing.

That seems to be a common theme. It/they were just there.

I can’t remember if that was one of the songs I liked. I know I liked the one with Asha and King Magnifico as well as a couple other ones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom