Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

TsWade2

Now that over 100 reviews have been submitted, RT has their Critics Consensus posted:

"Wish earns some tugs at the heartstrings with the way it warmly references many of the studio's classics, but nostalgia's no substitute for genuine storytelling magic -- no matter how beautifully animated it might be."

Still sitting at 50% overall. Of the 28 top critics reviews so far, only 8 are fresh. 😬

I think the last time any new Disney or Pixar animated release had a tomatometer this low was Cars 2 in 2011.
I hate critics!😡But, at least the audience will like it anyway.😉

Disney Analyst

Apple Original Productions Ridley Scott Napoleon won $3M in Tuesday night previews while Disney’s Wish took in $2.3M. Both fired off at 3PM yesterday.

Wish‘s preview figure includes $500K from Saturday limited sneaks. Thanksgiving Disney animated comps here are Coco ($2.3M Tues; $73M 5-day) and Encanto ($1.5M; $41M). Wish opens wide today in 3,900 domestic locations including Premium Large Format, 3D, D-Box and 4D screens.

Tracking for Wish spotted a $45M-$50M 5-day win to Napoleon‘s $22M. Wish is PG while Napoleon is R-rated.

Pretty good preview numbers. In line with Coco. I believe Wish is an expected 75 million 5 day, globally, with a very staggered international market release.

Disstevefan1

Pretty good preview numbers. In line with Coco. I believe Wish is an expected 75 million 5 day, globally, with a very staggered international market release.

One thing is for sure. Wish and Napoleon are two totally different audiences.

Figment1984

They really should, it’s one of my favorite games. The “story” is also the best mainline Mario game.

Oh, and Rosalina is my favorite Mario spinoff character.

EDIT: I never connected Star and Luma like that, interesting.
You do realize Disney stole the design for Star from Mario Galaxy?
I understand where you see similarities, but it’s literally just a star with eyes. There’s only so many ways you can design that.

Google “Star Buddies from Care Bears”. That predates Nintendo by 20 years. I’m sure someone can find an even older example.

Miss Rori

You do realize Disney stole the design for Star from Mario Galaxy?
This point is frustrating -- IIRC Star's design was specifically inspired by unused ideas for a dream sequence in Snow White -- I've seen the concept art for that scene, and this explanation holds water. BUT how many critics (much less general audiences) are going to recognize that? And in practice, it does look similar to a Luma, or the sentient star in that turn-of-the-'90s McDonald's commercial they'd run at Christmas. Not much you can do with a yellow five pointed star I suppose! If it looks like a Luma to people (and because a Luma was prominently featured in one of this year's biggest animated features, it's hard not to think of it offhand), welp, that's on Disney for not coming up with something more distinctive. Seeing some stills from the art book, there were some more interesting ideas for it in the development phase.

TsWade2

Hooray!😄But, sadly nobody here in this forum cares.🙄Still, yay!😄Take that critics!😈

Surferboy567

I understand where you see similarities, but it’s literally just a star with eyes. There’s only so many ways you can design that.

Google “Star Buddies from Care Bears”. That predates Nintendo by 20 years. I’m sure someone can find an even older example.
Oh, I don’t think it’s a copy, just a funny coincidence. Like you said it’s literally a star with eyes. The face is different as well.

Surferboy567

Haymarket

wish-early-access-poster.jpeg
wish-early-access-poster.jpeg
kz42r6uajsma1.jpg
cb star.jpg
2530_FP_01109A_3618x1500_dda17c0.0.jpg

Last edited:

erasure fan1

BUT how many critics (much less general audiences) are going to recognize that? And in practice, it does look similar to a Luma,
Well, the younger audience does. My son and daughter both said, hey, they copied Luma when they saw the trailer. Lol

So yea, Disney probably could have done a little more with the design. But like has been said, it's a star.

TP2000

"Wish‘s preview figure includes $500K from Saturday limited sneaks. Thanksgiving Disney animated comps here are Coco ($2.3M Tues; $73M 5-day) and Encanto ($1.5M; $41M). Wish opens wide today in 3,900 domestic locations including Premium Large Format, 3D, D-Box and 4D screens."

Adjusted for inflation, the $2.3 Million that Coco made on Tuesday of 2017 would be $3.4 Million in 2023 dollars. I'm not sure why Deadline wouldn't adjust for inflation when it makes such a big difference in a comparison like this?

Coco would be just over $1 Million ahead of Wish based on current dollar values, although I'm not sure if Coco was feted with a pre-preview the Saturday before, which Wish got and accounts for $500,000 of its $2.3 Million total as of Tuesday night. Do they always do pre-previews the Saturday evening before previews start on Tuesday before it officially opens on Wednesday of Thanksgiving week? That format seems a tad overwrought, if you ask me.

Here's how the matchup begins between those two, adjusted for inflation from 2017. Conveniently, adjusted for inflation, the production budgets are almost the same. (My goodness, the last few years of inflation has been brutal, hasn't it?)

Coocoo for Coco Puffs.jpg

TP2000

I stand corrected. They didn't boost it overnight. It's a hit with the verified audience, however.

Honestly, many of those Verified Audience comments are comedy gold. For a fun drinking game while you wait for the turkey to fully thaw today, take a drink every time a review uses more than one exclamation point at the end of a sentence (!!!).

On second thought, don't. You'll be passed out within an hour and the turkey and your family will both hate you tomorrow.

Disney Analyst

That was easily the worst Disney movie since Home on the Range. I hope everyone involved lose their jobs and specifically Julia Michaels is never hired again.

I'd love to better understand why you feel this way? I mean, I totally respect that this is your opinion, but there are several Disney films I can say I would never watch again and were dreadful, and Wish would not make that list, based on the film I saw.

In fact, Wish is in line for me with Tangled, Frozen, Moana, Encanto, in terms of a film I'd go see again!

Adventure

Just returned from seeing Wish with my 9 year old niece and 6 year old nephew. I really enjoyed it and am a new fan of Ariana Dubose. The 9 year old sang along with several parts. Wasn't sure how the 6 year old felt until we got out to the car. It's rainy here so I asked him to hop in the car on the other side. He stepped in a huge puddle and got in the car singing "So this is the thanks I get". I heard him tell his Mom it was a fun movie. This audience score was pretty high!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom