Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Jedijax719

I wouldn't mind Wish revisiting classic Disney films if the intent was to honor the company's legacy. My concern is that the movie would be a mocking 21st Century commentary on old classics.

The Princess scene in Ralph Breaks the Internet had such an eyerollworthy "oh, we're smarter than a Disney animated movie!" mindset.
Bringing something back doesn't mean it will demean it. Geesh! Feels like Wish is WDAS's "No Way Home" which is a good thing.

jeangreyforever

I wouldn't mind Wish revisiting classic Disney films if the intent was to honor the company's legacy. My concern is that the movie would be a mocking 21st Century commentary on old classics.

The Princess scene in Ralph Breaks the Internet had such an eyerollworthy "oh, we're smarter than a Disney animated movie!" mindset.
That's my concern as well. Before Enchanted came out, a lot of Disney fans were concerned it would turn out to be a brutal parody like Shrek but that wasn't the case. However, the Disney company has changed a lot since 2007. That princess scene in Ralph Breaks the Internet was absolutely demeaning and the biggest tip-off was the fact that John Lasseter even said he felt the princesses needed to be put in their place. There were no good intentions behind that scene and the way every Disney movie from this era has felt the need to comment or criticize classic Disney tropes makes me think this will be no better.

jeangreyforever

Bringing something back doesn't mean it will demean it. Geesh! Feels like Wish is WDAS's "No Way Home" which is a good thing.
The problem is not everything needs to be a cinematic universe. I think the MCU's success has been one of the worst things to happen to cinema, in part because every studio suddenly felt the need to jump on the bandwagon and establish their own shared universe. Disney animated movies have never been part of a shared universe. I didn't need to see Pinocchio pop up in The Little Mermaid, searching for Monstro, or Aladdin and Jasmine race with Dumbo. So a No Way Home scenario would be exactly what I would not want and just prove to me how cannibalistic Disney is with their properties.

It also reminds me of how when Roy Disney was alive and the Disney Princess franchise was created, his one rule was that the princesses could never interact with each other. They might be marketed together but they come from different movies and worlds and cannot directly interact. Obviously that rule has been broken since his passing as well between Ralph Breaks the Internet and the new Disney Princess merchandise which has the princesses taking selfies with each other. That might please the Gen Z crowd but more purist or traditional Disney fans are just reminded of how this company is going back on all its former values.

jeangreyforever

I really liked the princess scene in Ralph Breaks the Internet even though (and indeed largely because) I’m a huge fan of the princess movies. It was all meant in good humour.
That's nice that you were able to feel that way. I thought it was mean-spirited and has the same tired jokes you see online like Aurora always falling asleep, because we all haven't heard of that before. It felt like the Disney Princess Pocket Princesses online which is fine for fan content but I would never want it to be an official Disney product (and even Disney seems to agree because they hired the artist to make Disney Princess comics for them but the princesses were forbidden to interact together).

You also have to keep in mind that the scene was longer in the screening at D23. There were more weird jokes like Jasmine being allergic to cats and Meeko being rabid. Apparently audiences didn't respond well to all the jokes and I think some of the voice actresses were also uncomfortable with some of the characterizations so what we got in the final movie was a "sanitized" version. Even then, I will never understand how anyone would think it was in character for Cinderella to shatter her glass slipper to use as a weapon.

jeangreyforever

It was meant as a fun parody. That’s the level on which I interpreted and enjoyed it.
Like I said, I'm glad you enjoyed it but I don't find it funny or respectful at all. Especially after years of the media dragging the princesses, particularly the classic ones and Disney responding to those criticisms in the most tone-deaf ways.

But that entire movie came in with the the worst of intentions. As a fan of the original, I was equally horrified by Vanellope suddenly going turbo but being praised as empowering herself for it, Ralph suddenly turning into a degenerate and obsessive creep (the same characterization which Anna would go through in Frozen II), and the utter lack of interest in the supporting characters from the first movie like Calhoun, Felix, and the Sugar Rush characters.

brb1006

Or we could just wait until an official teaser and full trailer for this movie arrives in the coming months before reserving full judgement. I'm actually looking forward to this movie due to it's animation style and song numbers. I remember when this movie was teased a few years ago when word on the street was surfacing in the Disney Community on WDS working on a film that combines a 2D and 3D art style (ala "Paperman"). I believe this was surfacing in certain parts of the Disney Community before Ralph Breaks The Internet was revealed.

Last edited:

brb1006

More like Simba with goat ears and hooves.

Or Kovu.

-
Actually I see more of Djali from Hunchback of Notre Dame (in a good way).
hunchback_disney_djali_6292.png

Heck, Valentino is even given the ability to speak, plus I love Alan Tudyk.

Also I love goats!
funny-goat-puts-out-its-tongue.jpg

jeangreyforever

Given just how inaccurate most rumors are on forums, I'm going to regard Lasseter's ill-intent toward the Princesses as just a baseless rumor.
It wasn't a rumor. It was from an official article that was released characterizing Lasseter's problematic behavior. Forgive me for not saving every article I've ever read so I can back up a random fact years later.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It wasn't a rumor. It was from an official article that was released characterizing Lasseter's problematic behavior. Forgive me for not saving every article I've ever read so I can back up a random fact years later.
Oh... an *official* article. Was that a press release from Pixar in which Lasseter announced his desired take down of Disney Princesses?

Baseless rumors are baseless rumors even in "article" form. Do you know how many "articles" exist out there claiming Kathleen Kennedy is most definitely about to be fired... as posted over the past decade? Articles do not mean true.

The smoking gun would be a quote from Lasseter in an interview with a journalist. Or an article by a journalist who would be fired by their news organization for printing false information.

BTW: John Lasseter left the company in November of 2017 and never came back.

Ralph Breaks the Internet was released a full year later in Novemeber of 2018.

Lasseter has no producer, director, screenplay, or story credits on the film.

So....

Last edited:

Ghost93

Unfortunately there are some Disney Fans who don't like Disney using self referential humor, especially about Disney Classics.
I think it has more to do with the fact that we've been getting nothing but self referential humor and mocking and critical commentary about the classics for the past 15 years — both in the animated films and in the live-action remakes. Enchanted was unique in 2007 because it was the first time Disney really began to examine it's old tropes. It had gotten old by the time Ralph Breaks the Internet came around.

There's also something about Disney making fun of itself that just isn't as funny as Dreamworks mocking Disney like they did with Shrek.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think it has more to do with the fact that we've been getting nothing but self referential humor and mocking and critical commentary about the classics for the past 15 years — both in the animated films and in the live-action remakes. Enchanted was unique in 2007 because it was the first time Disney really began to examine it's old tropes. It had gotten old by the time Ralph Breaks the Internet came around.

There's also something about Disney making fun of itself that just isn't as funny as Dreamworks mocking Disney like they did with Shrek.
Why shouldn't Disney make fun of itself? If the classics truly stand up to the test of time, I feel most do, then they can and should be poked fun at especially by its creators. Especially about tropes that are seen as outdated by today's standards. And so because society is in a different place today than when most of the old tropes were used; those type of stories aren't told much anymore by most studios, let alone Disney.

jeangreyforever

BTW: John Lasseter left the company in November of 2017 and never came back.

Ralph Breaks the Internet was released a full year later in Novemeber of 2018.

Lasseter has no producer, director, screenplay, or story credits on the film.

So....
You do realize that any movie, specifically an animated movie, takes years to make? WIR2 was greenlighted while Lasseter was in charge. It didn't suddenly get announced and put into production the second he was fired and released after only one full year of work. In fact there are interviews with Lasseter specifically discussing the movie and the princess scene, so clearly he worked on the movie despite your claim here. The lack of any acknowledgement or credit has more to do with the political situation behind him leaving, not because he wasn't actually involved.

Disney was going out of their way to not mention him or his involvement in any of their projects during that time. I specifically remember interviews with Jennifer Lee where she was rivalling politicians in their mastery of how to "answer" a question you don't really want to answer. In any case, if I ever find the article I'll be sure to post it here just for YOU. That being said, your belligerent tone and general hostility doesn't inspire me to put much effort.

jeangreyforever

Why shouldn't Disney make fun of itself? If the classics truly stand up to the test of time, I feel most do, then they can and should be poked fun at especially by its creators. Especially about tropes that are seen as outdated by today's standards. And so because society is in a different place today than when most of the old tropes were used; those type of stories aren't told much anymore by most studios, let alone Disney.
Do they stand up to the test of time? Because there are people who would like nothing better than Snow White to be cancelled. When Splash Mountain got cancelled, I saw Disney moms on social media saying the Pinocchio ride should be next because Disney is advocating for keeping children in cages. Society needs to remember that as progressive and enlightened as they think they are now, the media they consume will be just as dated (if not moreso) in decades, if not even a few years. Ralph Breaks the Internet is a perfect example of a movie that was dated just one year later. 50 years from now, no one will care to remember it even just to make a parody of it. Films like Snow White should be treated with respect by at least their own company even if no one else does. When Disney goes out of their way to claim Snow White is outdated and only exists to make room for the "real classics" like Frozen or Encanto, there is a legitimate problem. This is just one of many reasons as to why long-time Disney fans feel alienated and upset as it's a complete disservice to them and all the wonderful people who worked on those classic films in the first place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom