Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Jedijax719

This will be a big holiday hit.

But I am confused about the nationality. Asha is typically either an Arabic or Indian name or has tendencies toward Asian roots. Yet the actress is Hispanic. So I am curious about the setting.

tcool123

This will be a big holiday hit.

But I am confused about the nationality. Asha is typically either an Arabic or Indian name or has tendencies toward Asian roots. Yet the actress is Hispanic. So I am curious about the setting.
It's worth noting that due to the Umayyads conquering Spain a lot of Arabic influence made its way into Hispanic/Latino culture such as first and last names, words, and more.

An examples of this is the Mosque–Cathedral of Córdoba
1663133773381.png

It started off as a church, then a mosque, and upon reconquista it became a cathedral. Throughout the country their is evidence of this infusion, and this can be seen in the countries that Spain colonized and occupied as well.

Much like Agrabah I think Wish will be set in a fictional country that pulls from a variety of Mediterranean cultures from the concept art I do think it will be a heavy mixture of Spanish/Middle Eastern with perhaps some Moroccan and Tunisian influence as well.

Last edited:

Ghost93

I wonder if Wish will feature Disney's first lesbian princess. YouTuber Grace Randolph (who — full disclaimer — has an inconsistent track record) said there would be LGBTQ representation in the film. But Disney is trying to have more gay representation, and since Ariana Debose identifies as queer, she might be the perfect candidate to voice the first non-straight princess.

brb1006

After rewatching Zootopia+ this evening, I hope Disney actually gives Alan Tudyk a singing or musical number for this movie as Valentino. Tudyk showed off his singing skills in the short "Duke the Musical" for the first time in a Disney project.

TP2000

It seems like every Disney movie for more than a decade now has to feature a character with this trademark expression: smug and superior grin with raised eyebrow. Very stale.

No kidding! 🤣

Maybe the computer programs they use now to make these movies just have that as a personality default setting?

It's very stale. That's the perfect description of it.

jeangreyforever

No kidding! 🤣

Maybe the computer programs they use now to make these movies just have that as a personality default setting?

It's very stale. That's the perfect description of it.
It's amazing how formulaic Disney's animated movies have become in the past decade and not even in a good way. I know people are concerned right now that Wish could be a box office flop if it has a gay lead and it would be sad if that was the case. However, the fact that this movie seems to be going the way of Ralph Breaks the Internet so it can shoehorn in classic Disney IPs makes me feel a lot less bad if it does indeed flop. It once more betrays the fact that Disney doesn't have enough faith in their own original product and will likely find some new way to demean their legacy films.

TP2000

It's amazing how formulaic Disney's animated movies have become in the past decade and not even in a good way. I know people are concerned right now that Wish could be a box office flop if it has a gay lead and it would be sad if that was the case. However, the fact that this movie seems to be going the way of Ralph Breaks the Internet so it can shoehorn in classic Disney IPs makes me feel a lot less bad if it does indeed flop. It once more betrays the fact that Disney doesn't have enough faith in their own original product and will likely find some new way to demean their legacy films.

I was doing some reading about Wish earlier this evening while I waited for the Beouf Bourguignon to caramelize some more. Did I add too much wine? I couldn't have, I had two glasses out of that bottle!

I'm kind of befuddled about all the "Easter Eggs" they are trying to force in to this movie, both before it opens and after it opens. I'm reminded that big, calcified company's like current Disney don't do "viral" well. Like that time they tried like hell to plant Easter Eggs about Marvel Land around the queue of Mission: Breakout! at DCA in 2017 and no one even cared or was interested. 🤣

They just aren't good at this. No big company is. Not General Motors, or Boeing, or Disney, or Chase. That's the territory of the smaller, younger, and inherently scrappier companies. I wish Disney's execs would stop trying, because they embarrass themselves and cheapen their brand.

That Wish goat with the Circa 2003 "Spunky Smug Grin" on his face is a good example. They should just stop. 😞

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was doing some reading about Wish earlier this evening while I waited for the Beouf Bourguignon to caramelize some more. Did I add too much wine? I couldn't have, I had two glasses out of that bottle!

I'm kind of befuddled about all the "Easter Eggs" they are trying to force in to this movie, both before it opens and after it opens. I'm reminded that big, calcified company's like current Disney don't do "viral" well. Like that time they tried like hell to plant Easter Eggs about Marvel Land around the queue of Mission: Breakout! at DCA in 2017 and no one even cared or was interested. 🤣

They just aren't good at this. No big company is. Not General Motors, or Boeing, or Disney, or Chase. That's the territory of the smaller, younger, and inherently scrappier companies. I wish Disney's execs would stop trying, because they embarrass themselves and cheapen their brand.

That Wish goat with the Circa 2003 "Spunky Smug Grin" on his face is a good example. They should just stop. 😞
Oh, this is just you joking again and we shouldn't take it seriously.

Ok.

Ghost93

I wouldn't mind Wish revisiting classic Disney films if the intent was to honor the company's legacy. My concern is that the movie would be a mocking 21st Century commentary on old classics.

The Princess scene in Ralph Breaks the Internet had such an eyerollworthy "oh, we're smarter than a Disney animated movie!" mindset.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom