Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Disney Analyst

It will be interesting to see what actual Disney fans think of wish… the feeling I am getting from reading a smattering of reviews…it’s playing on the Disney nostalgia of old with it’s 100 years of animation…that it harkens back to the simple stories Disney use to tell… the characters are not that complex or deep… one reviewer compared it to Snow White with how simple that story is

I've noticed this also, and frankly, I think that is partially what excites me for this film. Nostalgia, simplicity, and beauty.

TP2000

Critics aren't exactly thrilled with Wish apparently.

And this was the film they spent $300 Million on to produce and market to celebrate Disney's 100th anniversary? 🤔

TsWade2

Critics aren't exactly thrilled with Wish apparently.

And this was the film they spent $300 Million on to produce and market to celebrate Disney's 100th anniversary? 🤔

You're making it worse for me! I guess it's going to flop! Goodbye Disney animation!:cry: TP2000, you are the most depressing person I’ve ever meant!😢

Last edited:

Marionnette

I’m going crazy! This is so unfair! I want Wish to become a hit! Those critics are evil people!
You've said that already. Why not give yourself a little time out? Hunger Games got poor-to-mediocre reception from critics but the audience scores are great. The same could happen with Wish. Although truthfully, I'm not expecting it to be a blockbuster at the theaters. Families have become accustomed to the convenience of streaming and they're willing to wait.

Phroobar

Peanuts is a comic strip and tv special IP, not a feature film property. Not an insignificant point.
Not true.

There is also the musical, You're a good man Charlie Brown.

Phroobar

You've said that already. Why not give yourself a little time out? Hunger Games got poor-to-mediocre reception from critics but the audience scores are great. The same could happen with Wish. Although truthfully, I'm not expecting it to be a blockbuster at the theaters. Families have become accustomed to the convenience of streaming and they're willing to wait.
Except Five Nights at Freddy's opened in theaters and streaming on the same day and it still made more money than most of Disney's summer "blockbusters". I guess Disney fans only go to the parks and watch cartoons at home.

Joel

I’m going crazy! This is so unfair! I want Wish to become a hit! Those critics are evil people!
I am not always 100% serious on these forums, but I am when I say this: I worry about you sometimes. It cannot possibly be healthy to have your psychological state so closely tied to a movie studio's success. There are many, much more important things in life. It's going to be okay, no matter how critically or financially successful this or any other movie ends up being.

Marionnette

Except Five Nights at Freddy's opened in theaters and streaming on the same day and it still made more money than most of Disney's summer "blockbusters". I guess Disney fans only go to the parks and watch cartoons at home.
How many parents were taking their kids to see Freddy's? Totally different audience demographic.

TsWade2

I am not always 100% serious on these forums, but I am when I say this: I worry about you sometimes. It cannot possibly be healthy to have your psychological state so closely tied to a movie studio's success. There are many, much more important things in life. It's going to be okay, no matter how critically or financially successful this or any other movie ends up being.
I’m sorry. I guess I was very upset and shocked with the reviews. And TP2000 always announce bad news which kind of upsets me. Now I don’t know Wish is going to be successful or not. I blame the Hollywood strike. I need a break from this! I’m sorry if I’m a deluded person.

DKampy

Peanuts is a comic strip and tv special IP, not a feature film property. Not an insignificant point.
I have known a few people in my life that are apart of Peanuts fandom and were big into collecting peanuts merchandise… so I am still a bit surprised… I am not a huge Peanuts fan though so maybe I am wrong… I did watch the movie though and it was better than I anticipated

Phroobar

I’m sorry. I guess I was very upset and shocked with the reviews. And TP2000 always announce bad news which kind of upsets me. Now I don’t know Wish is going to be successful or not. I blame the Hollywood strike. I need a break from this! I’m sorry if I’m a deluded person.
What does the Hollywood strike have to do with it? It wasn't delayed by that.

Marionnette

I tend to ignore the critics. There are a lot of movies that get panned by the critics and I personally love them. Then again, there are critically acclaimed movies that leave me saying "What the what what?!!" In the end, if you enjoy it that's all that matters. Disney will continue to make animated feature films because that's their niche.

TsWade2

I tend to ignore the critics. There are a lot of movies that get panned by the critics and I personally love them. Then again, there are critically acclaimed movies that leave me saying "What the what what?!!" In the end, if you enjoy it that's all that matters. Disney will continue to make animated feature films because that's their niche.
Okay, I hope it’s a box office success.

Sir_Cliff

So far, this doesn't seem to me like a case of reviews that would sink a movie's chances. It's more a case of reviews that don't really help.

I suspect whether this movie succeeds or fails in its first weekend will have a significant amount to do with whether the public mood is behind going back to the cinemas to see a film in the classic Disney style of princesses, villains, sidekicks, and songs. As the promotional campaign has ramped up, I think they've done a good job of making this seem like a Disney movie in that vein and Adriana DeBose has done a particularly good job in interviews of pushing that angle and talking about herself as a Disney kid who grew up with all the 1990s films for which there is now a lot of nostalgia.

Longer term, I guess we'll see if audiences like it more than critics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom