Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

WorldExplorer

Besides, a 90% or even 100% doesn't guarantee anything. You can make good movies and people can still not show up.

Here's your depressing fact for the day: before Disney killed Blue Sky Studios, there was a point their most profitable movie was their most critically thrashed (Ice Age 4) and their worst box office return was their best reviewed (The Peanuts Movie, which I'm pretty sure actually lost them money).

(Before they died altogether Ice Age 5 became worst rated, but for a while the above was true. And it still made more money than Peanuts.)

Last edited:

TsWade2

Besides, a 90% or even 100% doesn't guarantee anything. You can make good movies and people can still not show up.

Here's your depressing fact for the day: before Disney killed Blue Sky Studios, there was a point their most profitable movie was their most critically thrashed (Ice Age 4) and their worst box office return was their best reviewed (The Peanuts Movie, which I'm pretty sure actually lost them money).

(Before they died altogether Ice Age 5 became both worst rated and worst box office, but for a while the above was true.)
That doesn’t cheer me up! I guess this is the end of Disney Animation.😢

TalkingHead

(Before they died altogether Ice Age 5 became worst rated, but for a while the above was true. And it still made more money than Peanuts.)
That’s where sequel vs “original” or stand-alone comes into play.

WorldExplorer

That doesn’t cheer me up! I guess this is the end of Disney Animation.😢

You really shouldn't get this invested, you seem constantly upset by this stuff (and I'm sorry to contribute to that, it was just a footnote I've had in the back of my head for a while). This movie bombing would not kill Disney, and even in some bizarre alternate universe where it did, the dozens of great movies they already made would still be there to be enjoyed.

That’s where sequel vs “original” or stand-alone comes into play.

Well yeah, but at the same time Peanuts isn't exactly an unknown property, and the main point is that good critical ratings didn't help it.

TsWade2

Oooffff....this ain't good. Ouch!
Cry Crying GIF

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
If the movie doesn't deserve good reviews, it won't get them. If it's a classic, usually the scores a fair bit higher than these are. Disney Animation isn't going anywhere and there is no reason for tears, let alone those disgusting Alice tears (this image makes me cringe—no one sheds that many tears, not even giant British schoolchildren in Wonderland!).

Hopefully, this just motivates Disney to make better movies.

TsWade2

If the movie doesn't deserve good reviews, it won't get them. If it's a classic, usually the scores a fair bit higher than these are. Disney Animation isn't going anywhere and there is no reason for tears, let alone those disgusting Alice tears (this image makes me cringe—no one sheds that many tears, not even giant British schoolchildren in Wonderland!).

Hopefully, this just motivates Disney to make better movies.
Well, I can't help it! I want Wish to be a hit! And those stupid critics are not cooperating! I hate critics! I bet WDWPro is a happy camper by now!

TsWade2

It's down to 60%.

I guess Wish is going to flop! It's the end of the original animated films. It's sequels forever!😢

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No

I guess Wish is going to flop! It's the end of the original animated films. It's sequels forever!😢

The sequels have to stop eventually. I hate sequels as much as anyone, but I stand by what I said: if a movie isn't good, I don't want them making more movies in the vein of a bad movie.

Besides, critics' reviews are never the be-all, end-all in whether a movie is successful.

TsWade2

The sequels have to stop eventually. I hate sequels as much as anyone, but I stand by what I said: if a movie isn't good, I don't want them making more movies in the vein of a bad movie.

Besides, critics' reviews are never the be-all, end-all in whether a movie is successful.
But, they're not being cooperative! They're being a bunch of anti-animation jerks! Man, I need a break!

DKampy

It will be interesting to see what actual Disney fans think of wish… the feeling I am getting from reading a smattering of reviews…it’s playing on the Disney nostalgia of old with it’s 100 years of animation…that it harkens back to the simple stories Disney use to tell… the characters are not that complex or deep… one reviewer compared it to Snow White with how simple that story is

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom