Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

LittleBuford

The thing is that the posters in question don't seem to be brave enough to actually come out and say that, it's just heavily implied. Which is how, I suppose, one manages to keep one's account.

I am desperately trying to reach humans for conversation here, using Disney movies as a framework, and just keep running into what feels like talking point machines.
To their credit (a strange thing to say under the circumstances, I know), a few posters have come out and openly stated that they don’t think any sort of gay reference is appropriate in shows and movies made for children.

mickEblu

So let me get this straight. I asked you this: "But in this particular case, I can't see what being uneasy in the presence of other human beings (unless, of course, those humans are actively threatening you) actually buys you. You'd have to fill me in on that. What's the gain in wanting to keep children in the dark and/or feeling uneasy about homosexuality? And more to the point, what is so uneasy about seeing cartoon depictions of it? None of it's even kind of real."

You deflected by asking a question, which I answered, and then you preceded to never come back to the question at all. Sounds on brand. Your "Seriously?" also implies that I don't know anyone with children AND that their parents (my friends) haven't made sure that they know about gay people (which they have) AND that I can't see for myself that no one's been harmed by this revelation.

I “deflected” because I felt the question was insincere and the answer should be quite obvious. I’m hearing very strong opinions on parenting from people who don’t have any kids.

How old are the kids you’re referring to? My son is 8. I find it to be unnecessary and confusing to expose kids to these concepts at a young age. I don’t think they belong in children’s films.

drizgirl

brideck

I “deflected” because I felt the question was insincere and the answer should be quite obvious. I’m hearing very strong opinions on parenting from people who don’t have any kids.

How old are the kids you’re referring to? My son is 8. I find it to be unnecessary and confusing to expose kids to these concepts at a young age. I don’t think they belong in children’s films.

I assure you it was genuine. I'm seeking to understand our differences here. I live in a big city, so it's a generally queer-friendly environment here.

The kids I'm referring to all knew what gay people were from the age of 4 or 5. Some of them are now in high school. Typically a statement like, "Hey, Billy. You know how some people are tall and some people are short? Well, some boys like boys and some girls like girls" does the trick. The response was typically, "Oh, okay." Or even, "Oh, that's like Lisa's parents", etc.

BuddyThomas

I'm confused. Am I required to agree with them or something? I just gave my opinion. Please stop trying to make me responsible for other opinions.
Forgive me. Apparently I hallucinated post 2977. If you feel it is not woke, it must not be woke. Happiest of holidays.

drizgirl

Forgive me. Apparently I hallucinated post 2977. If you feel it is not woke, it must not be woke. Happiest of holidays.
What a snotty thing to say.

I'm not required to agree with or defend anyone else. Nor do I think my opinion makes something reality. But I feel my opinion is noteworthy as a woman and a mother.

Too many people these days are trying to lump everyone into this camp or that camp. When in reality lots of people have a wide variety of opinions that don't necessarily fit into a neat little box. No matter how much you might want them to.

mickEblu

I assure you it was genuine. I'm seeking to understand our differences here. I live in a big city, so it's a generally queer-friendly environment here.

The kids I'm referring to all knew what gay people were from the age of 4 or 5. Some of them are now in high school. Typically a statement like, "Hey, Billy. You know how some people are tall and some people are short? Well, some boys like boys and some girls like girls" does the trick. The response was typically, "Oh, okay." Or even, "Oh, that's like Lisa's parents", etc.

When someone says to me that Gay people exist and “why are we trying to shield our child from the real world” I’ll admit that it does make me pause sometimes. I understand the desire for that representation. It makes me pause because I think that if I had gay family (who are open) I wouldn’t keep my kids away from them because I think family is the most important thing in this world so whatever fear I had would be superseded by that. Now at the same time Im not sure if I would just introduce said family members partner as a “friend” until they got to a certain age.

I think I view it the same way I shield my kids from other things I feel may confuse or scare them. If my son happens to catch me watching the news I don’t tell him thousands of kids are being slaughtered in Palestine.

I love and hate all people. At the end of the day I’m anti censorship, anti PC and anti hypocrisy. These just happen to be the topics at hand.

brideck

When someone says to me that Gay people exist and “why are we trying to shield our child from the real world” I’ll admit that it does make me pause sometimes. I understand the desire for that representation. It makes me pause because I think that if I had gay family (who are open) I wouldn’t keep my kids away from them because I think family is the most important thing in this world so whatever fear I had would be superseded by that. Now at the same time Im not sure if I would just introduce said family members as a “friend” until they got to a certain age.

I think I view it the same way I shield my kids from other things I feel may confuse or scare them. If my son happens to catch me watching the news I don’t tell him thousands of kids are being slaughtered in Palestine.

I love and hate all people. At the end of the day I’m anti censorship, anti PC and anti hypocrisy. These just happen to be the topics at hand.

Thanks for the genuine response. I truly appreciate it.

It's funny. Watching good ol' Tom Brokaw every night was a family affair when I was a kid, so I definitely would've known what was going on in Israel & Palestine. Different strokes, I guess.

brideck

What a snotty thing to say.

I'm not required to agree with or defend anyone else. Nor do I think my opinion makes something reality. But I feel my opinion is noteworthy as a woman and a mother.

Too many people these days are trying to lump everyone into this camp or that camp. When in reality lots of people have a wide variety of opinions that don't necessarily fit into a neat little box. No matter how much you might want them to.

I think the struggle is that "woke" seems like it should be an objective property of something, but people seem to actually use it to describe their opinion of something instead. My understanding of it is that it's essentially a shorthand for "I object to the topic/content," which seems like a silly, (obviously intentionally) charged way of going about making that statement. I'm fairly certain I've only ever used the term ironically. If I object to something, I'll tell you why.

So when one reads plenty of articles making statements that "feminism is woke" it doesn't always compute when someone then makes the opposite claim.

drizgirl

I think the struggle is that "woke" seems like it should be an objective property of something, but people seem to actually use it to describe their opinion of something instead. My understanding of it is that it's essentially a shorthand for "I object to the topic/content," which seems like a silly, (obviously intentionally) charged way of going about making that statement. I'm fairly certain I've only ever used the term ironically. If I object to something, I'll tell you why.

So when one reads plenty of articles making statements that "feminism is woke" it doesn't always compute when someone then makes the opposite claim.
"Woke" definitely is not just a catch all for "I object to the content".

I think the feminist movement is mostly woke. I generally don't agree with most of the feminist agenda despite being a woman. But there are some specific feminist issues that I feel very strongly about. For some reason people assume that if someone is X, they agree with everything on that group's platform. But people are messy and have lots of different feelings about a wide variety of things. It does a real disservice to assume people all fit in nice neat little boxes.

Some issues in the movie really resonated with me and I enjoyed the long conversation it sparked between my adult daughter and myself after the film.

brideck

"Woke" definitely is not just a catch all for "I object to the content".

Is it not? I could've sworn that mickEblu (who has "liked" your post) said something to the effect of woke being in the eye of the beholder at some time in the last 5-10 pages. (Apologies if I'm misremembering. I can try to find that post when I have a bit more time.) I understand that they don't speak for you, but I took that to mean that it was certainly a subjective definition. Am I wrong? What in blazes is it? Everyone seems to mean something different by it.

drizgirl

Is it not? I could've sworn that mickEblu (who has "liked" your post) said something to the effect of woke being in the eye of the beholder at some time in the last 5-10 pages. (Apologies if I'm misremembering. I can try to find that post when I have a bit more time.) I understand that they don't speak for you, but I took that to mean that it was certainly a subjective definition. Am I wrong? What in blazes is it? Everyone seems to mean something different by it.
MickEblu liking a post of mine does not mean we agree on everything. I'm not sure why anyone would assume that. I actually find that to be an odd concept.

Everyone does mean something different by it. To me it's one of those "I'll know it when I see it" things.

BuddyThomas

Whoops! Another Best Animated Picture nomination for Wish. Sorry, haters. Also nominated for best song.

brideck

MickEblu liking a post of mine does not mean we agree on everything. I'm not sure why anyone would assume that. I actually find that to be an odd concept.

Liking a post implies agreement with the content or sentiment of that post. So I wasn't trying to say anything about you by that. I was more confused by MickEblu agreeing with something that didn't match my recollection of something they had said previously.

Everyone does mean something different by it. To me it's one of those "I'll know it when I see it" things.

Then I would humbly suggest that it's been rendered useless as a term. If one can't know what anyone really means by it, then it fails to communicate an idea. We have conversations about this sort of thing with my 18-year old cousin (currently living with us) all the time. He is hyper-focused on math, so there are certain common words that when he hears, he thinks of the mathematical definition, instead of the commonly held usage. Not sharing the same definition leads to really muddled conversation.

Miss Rori

So the deal is supposed to be that they'll give it to Magnifico with the hope that they will be randomly rewarded with it later -- essentially playing the lottery. But would so many people play the lottery if they knew with 100% certainty that they could not win. More so, how would they feel about the person who was judging them and then determining that they were not allowed to win.
This is a valid point, but again, it's only 12 wishes per year in a town of thousands of people. Of course they know the likelihood they're not going to win in their lifetimes! And they do have some idea things are rigged because apprentices generally get their wishes. That's the key thing Asha's concerned with at the start! (To be fair, having not seen the film but knowing the ins and outs of the plot from tie-ins, why does Magnifico have/need an apprentice anyway? If he's that desperate to cling to power, what are they supposed to be doing?)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom