Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

LittleBuford

Another thought now that I’ve seen it: the trailer really did a poor job of capturing the film’s strengths. Magnifico in particular was not sold at all well (I’m baffled they chose to feature the “I am a handsome king” quote).

Last edited:

Ghost93

“Disney’s worst”? It really isn’t, whatever faults it may have. I find it difficult to take such reviews seriously.
Of the Disney animation canon, I would rank Wish above Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music, Melody Time, Fun and Fancy Free, The Aristocats, Oliver and Company, Dinosaur, Brother Bear, Home on the Range, Chicken Little, Bolt, Ralph Breaks the Internet and Strange World.

Wish is probably a better movie than The Black Cauldron, but I find The Black Cauldron more interesting for at least attempting something different. My biggest complaint about Wish — a movie I enjoyed but didn't love — is that everything about it feels pretty generic and done before. It's the Disney formula without anything particularly unique about it.

LittleBuford

Of the Disney animation canon, I would rank Wish above Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music, Melody Time, Fun and Fancy Free, The Aristocats, Oliver and Company, Dinosaur, Brother Bear, Home on the Range, Chicken Little, Bolt, Ralph Breaks the Internet and Strange World.
My ranking is different from yours, but I agree Wish is a good way from the bottom.

My biggest complaint about Wish — a movie I enjoyed but didn't love — is that everything about it feels pretty generic and done before. It's the Disney formula without anything particularly unique about it.
I disagree. The way the film ended struck me as quite original.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

If you think Clownfish will make salient points to bolster your opinion, you're in a whole new world...

1701018157404.png

1701018197825.png

1701018242578.png

1701018275834.png

Figment1984

The Easter Eggs in Wish are just that. There is no establishment of a Wish Cinematic Universe.
I agree, some people are overthinking the references a bit, but at the same time, the movie did advertise itself as being “the origin story of the wishing star” that is featured in many other Disney films, so it’s understandable people might interpret the Easter eggs as being part of the “Disney lore”. It was a bad idea to advertise itself as some sort of origin story / prequel because people will interpret that as it being tied to every other Disney universe.

Most of the references are pretty subtle. The only ones that truly felt intrusive/forced were the 7 dwarf friends, that Zootopia reference, the Bambi callback, and that awful line where Magnifico is popping wishes and one was about Mary Poppins. The last one in particular is egregious because it diminishes how wishes are meant to be your heart’s true desires. Seriously - your hearts true desire is to find a nanny for your kids? Why ruin the importance of a key story element for a throwaway joke?

Oh, and this reference wasn’t intrusive or anything, but I found it shockingly bad when Star sprinkles Asha with pixie dust at the end and she does the whole “Cinderella dress transformation” animation and her dress doesn’t actually change. I can only assume she was meant to get a new sorceress outfit or something and they just ran out of time.

Disstevefan1

I notice you haven't posted this assertion recently... ;)
As for this thread, I have been on holiday so, yes, I have not been posting.

I admit it’s sure looking like I was totally wrong about Wish. It’s too bad. I was rooting for Wish to do well because TWDC badly needed the win here. It’s too bad. I am always willing to admit when I am wrong.

I was kicked off the Disney at the box office thread. I have no idea why. My guess is that I was giving out too many trophies. Folks are randomly kicked off of threads with no explanation. The mods are totally within their power to kick folks off but it would be helpful to know why so as not to repeat what I did. No big deal, there are plenty of interesting threads I have not (yet) been kicked off of so that I may participate in the discussions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom