Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Tha Realest

This is obvious by the rotten tomatoes mentions… they will point out any slight dip in percentage… but if it increases they keep quiet… if the audience like it look at the critics score… if the critics like it… look at the audience score
You do realize the RT score settles out after a few days, right? At some point there’s no more reviews. And it didn’t increase demonstrably or move that much over time, so really not worth discussing much more (othe than how it stacks historically speaking)

AndyS2992

Was just thinking about going to see it and looking at my local cinema's website and seat charts over the next few days, every showing is virtually empty. Surprising to see Disney's big 100 anniversary movie tank like this. Strange World was atrocious and now seeing the awful reviews for this one, something has gone very wrong at Disney. I did like Pixar's Elemental though, first half was kinda meh and slow going but once it got going I thought it was good over all.

Ghost93

I don't know if it's been discussed already, but the end credits feature drawings of characters from almost every Disney animated canon feature ever, in chronological order. However, I noticed the glaring omission of characters from Saludos Amigo/The Three Caballeros, Fun and Fancy Free, The Rescuers, The Black Cauldron, and Meet the Robinsons.

I guess this makes Once Upon a Studio even more special, as that may be the only time in modern Disney history that the Black Cauldron ever has been referenced.

DKampy

You do realize the RT score settles out after a few days, right? At some point there’s no more reviews. And it didn’t increase demonstrably or move that much over time, so really not worth discussing much more (othe than how it stacks historically speaking)
This was not just about Wish, but Disney produced movies in general… I noticed posters wanted to give up to the minute updates on Wish’s tomato meter when it was decreasing, but when The Marvels started at 52% people were pointing how low it was… once it started increasing people ignored the tomato meter… these are not the only Disney produced movies that I noticed this was the case

mickEblu

I don't know if it's been discussed already, but the end credits feature drawings of characters from almost every Disney animated canon feature ever, in chronological order. However, I noticed the glaring omission of characters from Saludos Amigo/The Three Caballeros, Fun and Fancy Free, The Rescuers, The Black Cauldron, and Meet the Robinsons.

I guess this makes Once Upon a Studio even more special, as that may be the only time in modern Disney history that the Black Cauldron ever has been referenced.

Speaking of Once Upon a Studio, they didn’t play it before the movie where I saw it. I was kind of looking forward to seeing it on the big screen. What gives?

MrPromey

Speaking of Once Upon a Studio, they didn’t play it before the movie where I saw it. I was kind of looking forward to seeing it on the big screen. What gives?
They didn't at my showing, either.

It would make sense as a short for them to do that but I didn't know they were supposed to.

Were they or were you just expecting it?

TP2000

I think the box office troubles for Wish took us all by surprise. The consensus here a week ago seemed to range from the most pessimistic among us that Wish would be a modest hit at $600 Million globally, to the most optimistic among us that it would be a huge hit at $800 Million globally or more. But it's bombing badly at the box office.

Even Variety has been taken by surprise.

LittleBuford

I'm very interested in your take... maybe I am crazy?
I can finally give you my take, having just got out from seeing it.

As for the film, I really liked it! It wasn’t perfect—the middle sagged, and the writing could have been stronger in parts—but it was an engaging and enjoyable film overall, and one stocked with Disney references and attributes. Some of the songs were very powerful—I confess to being moved to tears during the reprise of “This Wish” during the film’s climax, which I thought worked really well in general.

Oh, and I agree about Star being adorable! (Valentino alas didn’t quite land.)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If we pretend it didn’t cost what it did to make, they didn’t spend what they did on marketing and distribution, and their split with theaters wasn’t what it was in the later weeks - then yes, after all of those wishes coming true and made up numbers and a little pixie dust, it made money (which of course it did not, but making things up is always fun!).
No, the pretend numbers are the numbers that keep being used. There is no reported marketing numbers for that movie for example, so you "pretend" its a certain amount when in fact you don't know. The same goes for the budget numbers used as they have a lot more nuisance then the flat amount that was reported, as broken down by the Studio.

The Studio gave specific numbers (which they never do) on what they consider break-even. That is the numbers to go by, not the "pretend" ones that keep being thrown around.

So yeah, the "pretend" game goes both ways depending on what side of the conversation you're on.

Disney Analyst

I can finally give you my take, having just got out from seeing it.

Yeah, I’m not sure where @Consumer got his information, but it’s very wrong indeed.

As for the film, I really liked it! It wasn’t perfect—the middle sagged, and the writing could have been stronger in parts—but it was an engaging and enjoyable film overall, and one stocked with Disney references and attributes. Some of the songs were very powerful—I confess to being moved to tears during the reprise of “This Wish” during the film’s climax, which I thought worked really well in general.

Oh, and I agree about Star being adorable! (Valentino alas didn’t quite land.)

All very fair points, and I am glad overall you enjoyed it.

Star is wonderful.

I really enjoyed that reprise also, great emotional climax. I also enjoyed the revolution song.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom