Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

mickEblu

The musical elements in particular were one of the points I didn't like. From the moment the very first character started singing, most of them felt shoehorned in.

Also wasn't a fan of how they used musical numbers in place of plot development a few times to get major results or to change characters' minds on things without actually having to do anything except use the power of song to pull it all off.

Compare how the music played into that big moment at the end for instance to how the music and singing works here:

You can see the lyrics in this clip - the song is very important to what's happening but it's also not the vehicle by which she defeats Te Kā as you can see the monster continuing to barrel at first angrily and then desperately towards her while she sings right up until it gets there. It's very much not the power of music defeating the villain; it's just her coming to a realization about her adversary and revealing that the monster was never actually a monster that wins the day.

I find it truly baffling that the same studio made both of these movies.

Yeah I think I would have liked the opening number a little more had we not just seen a much better version of it in Encanto.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Went out to watch tonight at there were fewer than 20 people including my family of 4.

The movie was fine. Asha and King Magnifico are good characters but the supporting characters are unremarkable, the songs are just okay, and there are few memorable scenes. Amaya, Valentino, and Star are the only other characters I can name. rDoes feel like a classic and doesn't feel like a bomb, it's just "there" and pretty unremarkable, kind of how I think about Robin Hood, Pocahontas, Rescuers, Hunchback, Mulan, and others. Some people will love it but I don't think most will have it on a favorites list. I enjoyed the many Easter eggs to Disney animation in the last 100 years, some more subtle than others. I think the best way to go into it is to think of it as honoring Disney animation with the Easter eggs and 2d+3d animation.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I left Turtles off my list because if you were to read it my post, you would see that I only included films that doubled to quadrupled their ROI or more.

But since you brought it up, it did in fact, also outperform Disney's last hope is going to do domestically.

I told you a long time ago that Trolls, and Migration would likely outperform Wish or give it great competition.
You scoffed. I later brought up Five Nights at Freddy's domestic total surpassing it when that film was about to come out and projections were in.

So are we going to have to teach you about gross vs net gross now?
I know the difference thank you.

I was messing with you about Turtles since it too actually underperformed. As for how it'll do against Wish or any other Disney movie, I don't really care.

Anyways, I just didn't think at the time those movies would outperform Disney. And it looks like I'll be wrong. And that is ok with me. This is not some competition, I don't care if I'm wrong or right on a Disney fan site. I had thought Disney would perform better this year than they did. But I've also said all along that the industry is changing and that is changing consumers habits, and I was scoffed at for that, and yet here we are.

So I'll continue to think Disney movies will perform better than the competition overall. And I'll be wrong in some cases, and hopefully right in other cases.

celluloid

I know the difference thank you.

I was messing with you about Turtles since it too actually underperformed. As for how it'll do against Wish or any other Disney movie, I don't really care.

Anyways, I just didn't think at the time those movies would outperform Disney. And it looks like I'll be wrong. And that is ok with me. This is not some competition, I don't care if I'm wrong or right on a Disney fan site. I had thought Disney would perform better this year than they did. But I've also said all along that the industry is changing and that is changing consumers habits, and I was scoffed at for that, and yet here we are.

So I'll continue to think Disney movies will perform better than the competition overall. And I'll be wrong in some cases, and hopefully right in other cases.

You have in fact referred to mine and others postings on the subject of seeing this happening a fallacy. That is not the same as being right or wrong.
That is arrogance.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You have in fact referred to mine and others postings on the subject of seeing this happening a fallacy. That is not the same as being right or wrong.
That is arrogance.
If you say so. Either way I don’t really care all that much. As I said it’s not a competition, it’s a discussion forum.

Farerb

The musical elements in particular were one of the points I didn't like. From the moment the very first character started singing, most of them felt shoehorned in.

Also wasn't a fan of how they used musical numbers in place of plot development a few times to get major results or to change characters' minds on things without actually having to do anything except use the power of song to pull it all off.

Compare how the music played into that big moment at the end for instance to how the music and singing works here:

You can see the lyrics in this clip - the song is very important to what's happening but it's also not the vehicle by which she defeats Te Kā as you can see the monster continuing to barrel at first angrily and then desperately towards her while she sings right up until it gets there. It's very much not the power of music defeating the villain; it's just her coming to a realization about her adversary and revealing that the monster was never actually a monster that wins the day.

I find it truly baffling that the same studio made both of these movies.

Moana was made by Disney Legends, John Musker and Ron Clements. Wish was not.

TP2000

He essentially said it would be profitable if it made more than $460 million:

"essentially said"...

Okay, so if you squint and sort of plug one ear as you read that interview, it could be construed that $460 was the breakeven point for Elemental. They must have had a dirt cheap marketing campaign for it.. And some tax breaks. And they slashed the budget on the snack table and made the crew bring in their own Keurig pods from home.

But let's go with $460 Million as the breakeven point for Elemental. It made $486 Million total from the global box office.

Half the $26 Million over $460 went to the theater owners, and that left Pixar with a total profit of $13 Million on Elemental.

We will tally Elemental as a $13 Million profit in five weeks for the end of year box office roundup for Disney.

As a point of reference, if The Walt Disney Company back in 2018 had simply invested the $200 Million they spent on producting Elemental and put it in a basic savings account with 3.5% interest at the Burbank branch of Bank Of America, today they would have $237 Million. Plus even if they cheaped out on marketing and only spent $50 Million to market their $200 Million summer tentpole Elemental, that would mean Disney would have $87 Million more today than if they had never done Elemental to begin with.

It might be better if Disney just started putting money into savings accounts at Bank of America. And they'd get a free insulated picnic bag or a fleece blanket with the Bank of America logo on it as a bonus for opening the account.

Elemental Breakeven.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

I’m not really sure how else one can interpret what he said, but I know it doesn’t work for your little shtick, hence the implication that I’m somehow reaching.

It's a terribly lowball number, that's all. But let's go with it. That means Elemental made a profit of $13 Million for Disney.

And Disney missed out on $37 Million in compounding bank interest if they had just put that $200 Million for Elemental into a savings account back in 2018 instead.

LittleBuford

It's a terribly lowball number, that's all. But let's go with it. That means Elemental made a profit of $13 Million for Disney.

And Disney missed out on $37 Million in compounding bank interest if they had just put that $200 Million for Elemental into a savings account back in 2018 instead.
Not interested in playing. I’ll leave you to your fun.

TP2000

Not interested in playing. I’ll leave you to your fun.

This isn't "fun", it's just math and interest rates. No real fun to be had, it's simple facts and basic math.

Elemental had a breakeven point of $460 Million, it made $486 Million at the global box office, so it made a $13 Million profit.

Elemental Breakeven.jpg

LittleBuford

Posting numbers without enough information or context to interpret correctly doesn’t sound like fun to me, either.
Oh, he’s having bags of fun. The nonsense about Bank of America savings accounts and fleece blankets is enough to tell you that. Certain people are revelling in Disney’s bad box-office run and are here solely because of it. When the studio’s fortunes reverse (as they eventually well), this subforum will empty out.

DKampy

Oh, he’s having bags of fun. The nonsense about Bank of America savings accounts and fleece blankets is enough to tell you that. Certain people are revelling in Disney’s bad box-office run and are here solely because of it. When the studio’s fortunes reverse (as they eventually well), this subforum will empty out.
This is obvious by the rotten tomatoes mentions… they will point out any slight dip in percentage… but if it increases they keep quiet… if the audience like it look at the critics score… if the critics like it… look at the audience score

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom