Wish I Was Here: D23 40th Anniversary Event

Imagineer6

Original Poster
This is how Disney makes fans like us happy:

The roar from the crowd in the Fantasia ballroom was so loud and went on for so long that many Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th attendees missed out on those great little totally-in-character lines that the Dreamfinder threw away. Like when he snatched the yellow 3D goggles off of Figment's head and said "No, we're not going to see 'Captain E0." Or - when gesturing to a younger member of the audience - the Dreamfinder (obviously referring to that oversized Figment walk-around character which used to do meet-n-greets with WDW Guests a few years back) stated "That fellow seems confused as to why you're not 8 feet-tall."

The Dreamfinder then crossed to the piano and asked Richard Sherman for a favor. Could this Disney Legend please play "One Little Spark" ? And - of course - Richard complied.

Which is how the Dreamfinder was then able to lead all 1200 attendees in singing the "Journey into Imagination" song.

Now I know that people - whenever they're talking about Disney's theme parks, movies and TV shows - often mention dreams & magic. But this one moment at this past weekend's Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th was legitimately magic. The way that those D23 members in the Fantasia ballroom reacted when the Dreamfinder initially appeared live onstage with Figment was like something out of an Elvis concert.

To be honest, I almost felt sorry for ENCORE!, the WDW cast member choir & orchestra that followed Dreamfinder & Figment. Because - as far as the members of the Official Disney Fan Club were concerned - nothing else could possibly top that particular moment in Sunday night's concert.

Your thoughts?

Found on jimhillmedia.com/

Figment82

Last night's event was truly amazing. I've been a life-long fan of the Sherman Brothers, and of course Figment and Dreamfinder, but this concert was just incredible. When Dreamfinder and Figment stepped onto the stage to sing with Richard Sherman, I have to admit I was fighting back tears of joy. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and something I'll cherish forever.

I was able to meet Tony Baxter earlier in the day and thanked him for creating Figment and the original Journey Into Imagination attraction, and he mentioned that a wonderful surprise would be coming later that night - boy, he wasn't kidding! :)

misterID

:eek:

Wow, I can't get over that this really happened. Is there any chance this could help bring back Dreamfinder and fast track the new Imagination refurb?

Clamman73

I still don't understand why the ride was changed...(regardless of Kodak) It was so interesting and timeless...Hopefully this is a sign of things to come...Hmmmm...2012 = 30 yrs of Epcot...(Center)

Oh...and let me upstairs to play with the pin tables again please...:)

MerlinTheGoat

Ok, now i'm kind of giddy. I'm hoping this means something, that they're teasing us with a new Imagination refurb. Either that, or they're sadistic. I hope someone got this on video or something (or maybe that's not allowed).

misterID

from semiquaver at miceage:

DestinationD2011Day2074.jpg

DestinationD2011Day2089.jpg

WDWFigment

Seeing Dreamfinder walk out on stage, being a part of that crowd that absolutely erupted, and then hearing the duet between Richard Shermand and Dreamfinder (plus the crowd) was one of my top two Disney moments of all time (I got engaged at WDW; I won't say which is #1 ;)).

I had just gotten back to my seat from taking photos of Sherman singing the previous song when Dreamfinder began walking out on stage. As soon as he came out, I rushed towards the front again. My wife, Sarah, said for a second she was worried that I was going to jump up on stage. (I didn't.) What a performance.

The line about Encore! hit the money on the head. They were absolutely amazing, but following Dreamfinder and Richard Sherman? That's tough.

People can say what they want about the pricing at D23 events. I would have paid three times the ticket price just for the Richard Sherman concert, alone. The entire weekend was excellent, and well worth the price of events.

MKCP 1985

Glad to hear your positive review! When I inquired about free swag, it was in reference to past events where random members were invited to swap pins with cast members working the event and then invited to collect prizes based upon holding those pins, or similar treatment. None of that at Destination D?

The event was too large, perhaps?

BrightImagine

I wasn't able to fly down to WDW for this event, so I was trying to follow it on the web and twitter all weekend long. I am so very jealous of those who got to see not only Richard Sherman, but Dreamfinder!

I just hope that when WDW celebrates its 50th, I will get to attend, and also that Dreamfinder will be in his own attraction again instead of a cameo.

Tigger1988

I will never forget running into Richard Sherman outside the Contempo Cafe on Day 1. That mixed with this amazing concert made the high ticket price justified, and then some.

Imagineer6

Original Poster
It must of been like a Justin Bieber concert to Disney fans there. Dreamfinder as Justin Bieber, Richard Sherman as Usher.

Ciciwoowoo

Ok...I'm a geek...

Watched the video and now I'm crying!!!

I miss the Dreamfinder...and I miss my Figment ride...

Maybe it will be restored for EPCOT's 40th?

*hoping the current version can get the Iago special treatment!*

Omnimover

Okay, yes, it was in a room full of die-hard fans who would bite on just about anything they were given (I'd have been the same had I been there), but MOTHER OF GOD, there was more charm and heart in the three minutes they sang together than there's been in what's left of the Imagination Pavilion in years.

It's just proof that being technologically innovative, pop-culture relevant, or focus group approved is not where genius lives. It's in tiny moments that speak to the core of what it is to be human. Sometimes that's as simple as a gentle song that knocks down our defenses and allows our better selves some breathing room.

Obviously I'm preaching to the choir on a forum like this, but it would be grand to see some of the people holding the purse strings acknowledge that the loyalty on display at the event is the not the result of clever marketing, but the product of talented people being allowed their voice without interference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom