Wine pairing at V&As

gspin2k1

Original Poster
I got an upcoming dinner reservation at V&As...and it's already pretty pricey @ $125 per person. Anyway they offer some kind of wine pairing at $60 per person. I was curious if anyone has tried their wine pairing? is it really worth the extra $120 (plus tax and tip).

In general I'm usually against wine pairings because I have no idea what type of wine they will give you plus it's usually only 3-4 half filled glasses of wine per person. Which is maybe 1 bottle of wine for two people. I was debating on bringing in my own $25-40 bottle of wine and paying the $25 corkage fee, and even then it'd be about half the cost and the same amount of wine, possibly more. So yeah basically is it worth it for their wine pairing? or should I just bring my own bottle?

~G

Phonedave

I got an upcoming dinner reservation at V&As...and it's already pretty pricey @ $125 per person. Anyway they offer some kind of wine pairing at $60 per person. I was curious if anyone has tried their wine pairing? is it really worth the extra $120 (plus tax and tip).

In general I'm usually against wine pairings because I have no idea what type of wine they will give you plus it's usually only 3-4 half filled glasses of wine per person. Which is maybe 1 bottle of wine for two people. I was debating on bringing in my own $25-40 bottle of wine and paying the $25 corkage fee, and even then it'd be about half the cost and the same amount of wine, possibly more. So yeah basically is it worth it for their wine pairing? or should I just bring my own bottle?

~G

I did the wine pairings. I also happen to have them handy for a little cut and paste. :) I can also say they were VERY generous pours. This was back in 1996, so base the vintages accordingly.

I was happy with them, but then I happen to mostly prefer red wines, and when I do go for white, Gewurztraminer is one of my favorites - so this list worked out well.

It also took a while for the Amuse Bouche to come out, so they gave me two glasses of the Cava. By the end of dinner I was glad I did not have a drink at the bar while waiting :)

Amuse Bouche - Warm celery cream with basil olive oil topped with smoked salmon and Iranian Caviar Paired with Codorniu Cava Brut, Penedes NV

Blue Lump Crab and Fresh Gulf Shrimp with Petite French Green Lentils - Paired with Trimbach Gewurztraminer, Alsace 2002

Poulet Rouge with Fresh Porcinis and a Truffled Egg paired with Feudi di San Nicola Negro Amaro, Puglia 2003

Atlantic Turbot with Winterpoint Oyster, Salsify, and Spinach Veloute paired with Domaine Maillard Pere et Fils Chorey-Les-Beaune Chardonnay, Burgundy 2004

Marcho Farms Veal with Roasted Beet and Veal Cheek "Lasagna" paired with Charles Joguet "Cuvee Terroir" Cabernet Franc, Chinon 2003

Comte Sainte Antoine, Pierre Robert and English Stilton Cheesecake paired with Ramos Pinto Porto Tawny, Villa Nova de Gaia

Caramelized Banana Gateau

-dave

PoohBear119

DH and I have eaten a V&A's 3 times and I have done the wine pairings each time. As with the previous post, they are generous pours. The wines vary and I believe there were definitely a good number of reds.

My DH isn't a wine drinker but he did the pairings for our honeymoon and with one of the courses they offered Chimay beer. He was very excited by this.

We are heading back there in June and I definitely plan on doing the wine pairings again. I say go for it if you can afford it! And enjoy a wonderful meal.

tjkref418

I have tired the wine pairings as well.

I agree that the pours are very gernerous with each course, and the quality selected is above average (in my opinion)...

If you are in love with one type of wine (be it red or white) than I think you may be happier with your idea, but if you like the variety the pairings offer, I would go for it.

Have a Great Time!

gspin2k1

Original Poster
I have tired the wine pairings as well.

I agree that the pours are very gernerous with each course, and the quality selected is above average (in my opinion)...

If you are in love with one type of wine (be it red or white) than I think you may be happier with your idea, but if you like the variety the pairings offer, I would go for it.

Have a Great Time!

Glad to hear the wine pairings are good and most likely worth the $60 pp. So I may end up going with it after all or at least one wine pairing(and then bringing my own bottle to help cap us off lol). 17 days to go. Thanks everyone!

~G

Phonedave

Glad to hear the wine pairings are good and most likely worth the $60 pp. So I may end up going with it after all or at least one wine pairing(and then bringing my own bottle to help cap us off lol). 17 days to go. Thanks everyone!

~G

I would say they are worth $60 pp at restaruant prices. Of course if you were buying retail it would be half that price. Thats just the nature of buying wine in a restatuant.

As for brining your own, I don't know what sort of corkage fee V&A charges.

-dave

gspin2k1

Original Poster
I would say they are worth $60 pp at restaruant prices. Of course if you were buying retail it would be half that price. Thats just the nature of buying wine in a restatuant.

As for brining your own, I don't know what sort of corkage fee V&A charges.

-dave

I called them up and their corkage fee is surprisingly reasonable for a restaurant of their caliber (or at least price range, since I haven't been there yet). It's only $25 a bottle (assuming it's a bottle they don't carry which is the tricky part considering they have a very large wine list).

From what I've been told restaurants usually mark up their wine list prices about 300-400% from retail (reasonable considering typical restaurants charge $2-5 for a 10 cent cup of coffee/soda). So a $30-40 retail bottle is typically equivalent to a restaurant $90-160 bottle off their list. So even with the $25 corkage fee it's very reasonable.

But given most people above are saying the wine pairing had generous pours and a good selection that works for me too. I just didn't want to end up paying an add'l $60 for mediocre wine and leave completely sober either lol.

~G

gspin2k1

Original Poster
I don't think they have Boone's Farm...:lookaroun

Lol I had to look up Boone's Farm...on that note I doubt they have $2 (well $3 now) buck chuck either lol. How bad would that be if I showed up with some Charles Shaw and paid a $25 corkage fee to drink it in V&As...I'm pretty sure i'd expect dirty looks and spit in my food the rest of the night.

~G

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom