Wine & Dine Pre-Race Meet n' Greet

MKCP 1985

9 pm to the left of the stage and the right of the corral entrances for c & d, correct?

see ya there!

I will look pretty much like this, only without the sunglasses :lol:

R1-5A.jpg

MCC1

My bib number is 426 and I am going to be wearing a yellow Livestrong tech running shirt with blue nike running shorts. I am 6'2 and skinny if anyone is looking for physical appearances to go by. I was going to stand with the 1:40 pace group but after last weekend I decided to go with the 1:35 instead.

Today is official Livestrong day, good to hear you'll be in yellow tonight. Wearing a black Livestrong polo now with yellow stripe sleeves @ Magic Kingdom. Not sure what I'm wearing tonight, but I'm #198, corral A. Gonna be great weather tonight! So much more fun posting from here than looking & posting from work!

MKCP 1985

Some observations from the Expo:

First, today is a beautiful weather day. It is pretty warm though. The sun has everything to do with that, and we will be running on some roads that have been absorbing the sun's heat all day, so stay hydrated, everyone.

Second, the expo merchandise is a fraction of what is usually on display in January but probably on par with what they used to sell at the Tower of Terror race. There were the expected shirts and caps for sale, but - unwelcome surprise for pin collectors - they sold out of commemorative pins early. Every other Disney race I have attended, there have been extra pins for sale and someone must have noticed and cut back on the order this year. All they had for sale by 11 am was the 5K Halloween race pin. :shrug:

The race shirt is grey and not very detailed. Someone fell in love with the running shoes around the silhouette of a wine glass, because that design is on both the race shirts and the bib.

The finisher's medal for the half marathon seems a little larger than what it looked like in the photographs. It is big - I hope they let me wear it on the plane tomorrow because it could be considered a weapon! :lol:

We also got a peek at next year's redesigned full Disney marathon finisher's medal. It looks good! Goofy will be back to its 2009 design, as expected, and no change for Donald.

Well, that's it from Lake Buena Vista - see you tonight! :wave:

Look

MKCP 1985

I looked for you guys at 9 pm. I'll bet some people were still in the line to check their bags. that was madness!

I walked from the entrance to corral C all the way back to the stage, where the line was to get a photo with Mickey Mouse. Pretty funny now, in hindsight, that people thought they might be recognized (in part) by their shoes - that was a huge crowd out there!

Oh well, I hope everybody had a good race. Safe travels home!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Original Poster
I looked for you guys at 9 pm. I'll bet some people were still in the line to check their bags. that was madness!

I walked from the entrance to corral C all the way back to the stage, where the line was to get a photo with Mickey Mouse. Pretty funny now, in hindsight, that people thought they might be recognized (in part) by their shoes - that was a huge crowd out there!

Oh well, I hope everybody had a good race. Safe travels home!
So I dont have to type it twice, check your trip report about the meet n greet. I would be interested to see what Blueliner thought of the race and also PhoneDave.

Phonedave

So I dont have to type it twice, check your trip report about the meet n greet. I would be interested to see what Blueliner thought of the race and also PhoneDave.

I am on my sister-in-laws netbook right now, which is a bear to type on, so excuse any typos. (I am still on vaation here until Saturday)

Some thoughts

1) I could have prepared better for a 10:00 PM start. I went to the parks all day. No extra sleep no resting. I know I should have just hung around the resort, but thats what I did.

2) Did anybody else encounter the giant mess that was parking at EPCOT? It took me FOREVER to get into the lot. Yes, I did end up getting to the start on time, but that was pretty worrying.

3) I have never run at WDW before. I guess because you run through the parks on the paths they have to be narrow at times, but in Animal Kingdom and DHS some of those paths were less than 6 foot wide

4) The relay made things interesting. All through the end of AK, I was passing people. Just crusing along running out of Corral C. Then after AK, all these people are blowing by me. Of course they have fresh legs and are only running an 8 mile race, but still, you get this feeling of "why is everyone so much faster all of a sudden"

5) The race course was good, aside from the narrow areas I mentioned and the section leading up to DHS. Holy freaking dark, and runing into traffic (headlights) and with cop cars with their lights on lining the course. I should have just shut my eyes and hoped for the best.

6) Bag pick-up was a little confusing. It was a mass of people that did not become a proper queue for a while. Then they could not find my bag, so I had to walk around soaked in sweat at the after party. They found it later that night.

7) The medal is quite nice. I ended taking the thing off at the after party because it was so heavy.

8) There was some good entertainment out along the course. Lots of volunteers. And lots of very enthusiastic people cheering.

9) The party was pretty crappy. Malestrom & Grand Fiestia Tour were open, but thats about it. The only other stuff was food. The lines were insane because there was nothing for anybody there to do except wait in food lines. Much, Sweat, and Tears was really good though.

Would I run this one again? I think so. A little better planning. Give Disney a chance to get the kinks out, and I would avoid the party afterwards.

As for results - 2:28:34

2975 / 7275 Overall

258 / 457 Division (Men 40 -44)

-dave
DistanceHALF MARClock Time2:35:56Chip Time2:28:34Overall Place2975 / 7275Gender Place1487 / 2677Division Place258 / 457Age Grade41.5%5K Split34:2410K Split1:09:2315K Split1:44:30

joel_maxwell

Original Poster
My thoughts Dave about what you typed...

1) I know the feeling. I tried to take a much needed nap after doing Epcot all day Saturday, but I just couldnt fall asleep. I think I was over tired and mentally keyed up.

2) The buses from the resort ran smooth. Sorry you had some stressful parts

3) I will have to go back for historical purposes and retool my mapmyrun route. I was off by some, but looking back at the drawing they gave us... that was off too.

4) I agree. I know that relays are a part of it, but I find it so challenging to "run your race" and be ok with your pace when you are getting smoked by people that are coming off the relay. It just slaps you in the face sometimes.

5) I was wondering if stage lighting on the street pointing at you from about 15 feet in the air right before a water station is the best spot for that. I about ran over someone trying to get water since my eyes werent adjusted yet. I think that was around mile 7.

6) I can see where bag pick up would have been crazy. It was borderline there when I went through.

7) The medal is bigger than expected. :D

8) The volunteers were awesome. I thought they did a great job.

9) I was impressed with the turn out. I thought the after party was what it was... I had my freebie beer and then another and I just people watched.

I would do it again. I agree, let them tweak it. I know one thing they can tweak. That DJ... oy, I really got tired of listening to him. Especially when he kept announcing that he was going to give football scores and never did numerous times. I was dieing to hear a Alabama score. :lol:

My stats:
Distance HALF MAR
Clock Time 1:58:56
Chip Time 1:58:28
Overall Place 694 / 7275
Gender Place 480 / 2677
Division Place 80 / 437
Age Grade 50.2%
5K Split 25:39
10K Split 53:03
15K Split 1:22:09

Blueliner

Hi guys. I apologize for not being able to catch up with you on Saturday night. My wife, brother-in-law, and I got caught up in the bag-check process and 9:00 came and went while we were waiting to drop our bags off. Maybe next time we really should have a sign.

joel_maxwell

Original Poster
Hi guys. I apologize for not being able to catch up with you on Saturday night. My wife, brother-in-law, and I got caught up in the bag-check process and 9:00 came and went while we were waiting to drop our bags off. Maybe next time we really should have a sign.
After seeing others that had signs etc, we should. It wouldnt be that hard and I saw plenty of trash cans in the field to put it in afterward.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom