Wine & Dine Pre-Race Meet n' Greet

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Original Poster
Hello fellow racers,
I have been promising to start a thread on a meeting spot and time before the W&D race. I have inquired some friends and I have the following suggestions on where to meet about 1 hour to race time (9:00pm). This would give everyone a chance to get there, check you bags and orient yourself. This also gives plenty of time to have a social and then get racers to their corral. I am open to suggestions. I assume that we could all continue the social at the after party, but in the event that some people might leave before others are done, lets try to have it before.

Suggestion 1. The area at check in where all runners can sign their name on a sign (if this race follows what others have said takes place)
Suggestion 2. There will likely be a DJ on stage playing music in the first collection area. Maybe front right corner of the stage minus about 30 feet away?
Suggestion 3. Get Dave to hold up a sign that reads "WDWMagic Racers Meet Here!" :D

I dont know how many people will be traveling in on Friday, Saturday or sooner. I could wait till Friday when I go to packet pickup and scout out a spot. That would be assuming everyone would be able to check this thread sometime Friday afternoon or later. I would like to go ahead and get a basic spot planned.

Ok... discuss.

Phonedave

Hello fellow racers,
I have been promising to start a thread on a meeting spot and time before the W&D race. I have inquired some friends and I have the following suggestions on where to meet about 1 hour to race time (9:00pm). This would give everyone a chance to get there, check you bags and orient yourself. This also gives plenty of time to have a social and then get racers to their corral. I am open to suggestions. I assume that we could all continue the social at the after party, but in the event that some people might leave before others are done, lets try to have it before.

Suggestion 1. The area at check in where all runners can sign their name on a sign (if this race follows what others have said takes place)
Suggestion 2. There will likely be a DJ on stage playing music in the first collection area. Maybe front right corner of the stage minus about 30 feet away?
Suggestion 3. Get Dave to hold up a sign that reads "WDWMagic Racers Meet Here!" :D

I dont know how many people will be traveling in on Friday, Saturday or sooner. I could wait till Friday when I go to packet pickup and scout out a spot. That would be assuming everyone would be able to check this thread sometime Friday afternoon or later. I would like to go ahead and get a basic spot planned.

Ok... discuss.

Lets nix the sign idea :)

If you are dropping off bags for transport, they have to be dropped off by 9:00, so that timing is pretty good.

Other than that, I have no ideas right now

-dave

joel_maxwell

Original Poster
Lets nix the sign idea :)

If you are dropping off bags for transport, they have to be dropped off by 9:00, so that timing is pretty good.

Other than that, I have no ideas right now

-dave
Come on Dave, I know you want to wear those arms out holding a sign. Naaah, I couldnt think of any other ideas and it is always good to have at least 3.

fmingo36

I really like the idea of this meet and greet!
What about meeting at the giant ESPN globe-thing? Not sure how far it is to the check-in area or starting corrals.
And I think jmaxwell007 should be holding up the sign!

Blueliner

What about meeting at the giant ESPN globe-thing? Not sure how far it is to the check-in area or starting corrals.

I'm all for the meet and greet. Unfortunately, I'm not much help with respect to the appropriate place. I am wondering if some place in close proximity to the gear check might be worth a try, as we know for sure there will be a place to drop off the bags. My recollection from the WDW Marathon is that they had a tent.

Maybe we could tape a sign up near the gear check. That way nobody would have to hold it up. :lol:

joel_maxwell

Original Poster
Joel isnt holding up a sign. Im sure my arms will be worn out from my daughters excitement all week.

The globe thing might be a great idea IF the packet pick-up is inside the gym. That way, everything would be stretched out and you would have to walk by the globe. If the bag check is closer to the parking lot under a tent (that is my bet) the globe might be out of the way. Hmmmmm, does everyone have internet access as of Friday October 1 if I updated the thread around noon? I can check and scout things out Friday.

I'll be looking for you weirdos. I'll be wearing a Tower of Terror 13K tech shirt. See you there!
I take that as a compliment. :D

I'm all for the meet and greet. Unfortunately, I'm not much help with respect to the appropriate place. I am wondering if some place in close proximity to the gear check might be worth a try, as we know for sure there will be a place to drop off the bags. My recollection from the WDW Marathon is that they had a tent.

Maybe we could tape a sign up near the gear check. That way nobody would have to hold it up. :lol:
Right outside the bag drop off might be a great idea. That way, it doesnt matter where that is or where anything else is... that might work too. Oy!

It might also be smart of us to post pictures again so we can spot everybody. Good thing is, I have scalped football tickets to Doug (MKCP 1985) so I know what his mug looks like. That is 2 people that could be starting the MnG.

joel_maxwell

Original Poster
Here we go. I think from others comments and suggestions that this might be the location for a small MnG around 9 on Saturday night. We have to report to corrals at 9:30 so this gives people time to get what they need ot get done, stretch etc and wish all their fellow wdwmagic friends good luck.

I have the wdwmagic logo in the meeting spot.
Start.jpg

Blueliner

I'm looking forward to trying to catch up with everyone on Saturday night. My wife (Carrie) and I (Chris) likely will not be holding signs, but I plan to wear black shorts and a black short sleeve technical shirt from the 2006 Mercedes Half Marathon (blue and white print on the front of the shirt). I will have white/black/red Asics 2140's on.

joel_maxwell

Original Poster
I'm looking forward to trying to catch up with everyone on Saturday night. My wife (Carrie) and I (Chris) likely will not be holding signs, but I plan to wear black shorts and a black short sleeve technical shirt from the 2006 Mercedes Half Marathon (blue and white print on the front of the shirt). I will have white/black/red Asics 2140's on.
I know what that shirt looks like (although I didnt participate that year).

Last post for me until I see everyone (hopefully) on Saturday night. Ill be in a sleeveless blue tech shirt, blue shoes and a brand spanking new set of Mizunos. Just look for the guy that has gleaming new shoes. :lol:

Race number is 392.

Safe travels all.

Phonedave

I'll be the freakshly tall guy (6' 4") in black shorts and either a green tech t-shirt (if you can sport the RRS logo on it, you have good eyes) or a blue looking sleeveless tech shirt. I might have a tan Verizon Business hat on as well (or I might not)

My shoes (saucony Ride 2's) will look like someone ran through muddy fields in them (becaue I have :) )

Race number is 5335

-dave

dreamfinder

I plan on wearing a white shirt with a lobster on the front. Bib 400, but I am hoping someone has a sign otherwise I will most likely get lost. It sounds like a few of us are shooting for that 1:45 or so finish, pacing would be cool, since I can't find anything about an official pace group.

MCC1

That being said, I'm bib 198 I believe...was looking for a sub 1:40 but training was a little week this cycle, I knocked out a 1:45 a week and a half ago to just test the legs at the Duchess 1/2 in NY without a taper, so I'm looking for that or a little better, so I should be around you other 1:45 folks. I'll be with the runningoftheears folks, but will keep an eye out to connect with magic folks...

GoofyRacer11

My bib number is 426 and I am going to be wearing a yellow Livestrong tech running shirt with blue nike running shorts. I am 6'2 and skinny if anyone is looking for physical appearances to go by. I was going to stand with the 1:40 pace group but after last weekend I decided to go with the 1:35 instead.

MKCP 1985

I'll be looking for you weirdos. I'll be wearing a Tower of Terror 13K tech shirt. See you there!

Correction - as much as I would like to wear that Tower of Terror shirt in tribute to that once awesome race, I am thinking sleeveless is the way to go, given the likely temperature and humidity. So, I will be wearing the red 2009 Disney half marathon sleeveless instead. I look forward to meeting you all even if you all run like a pack of greyhounds and I run more like a . . . basset hound. :lol:

Phonedave

Correction - as much as I would like to wear that Tower of Terror shirt in tribute to that once awesome race, I am thinking sleeveless is the way to go, given the likely temperature and humidity. So, I will be wearing the red 2009 Disney half marathon sleeveless instead. I look forward to meeting you all even if you all run like a pack of greyhounds and I run more like a . . . basset hound. :lol:

From one basset hound to another ... I revel in it :)

I just do what I do and get across the finish line - thats what it's all about for me.

-dave

GoofyRacer11

If anybody is going to be at the expo tomorrow in the afternoon around 2-4 I will be there as well. I will be wearing a sky blue heros run tech shirt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom