Wine Bar George opening in Disney Springs late 2017

The Mom

Premium Member
Again, the majority of people who go to WDW are not expecting great dining. They are pretty much expecting to pay more than average for mediocre food - just as at any resort. Sorry, but I don't lump the Jersey Shore in with resort areas- maybe The Hamptons, The Bahamas or Cape Cod. Or ski resorts like Snowbird, Vail, Breckenridge, Whistler, etc. There are lots of beaches, but not all are resort areas. Just as not all ski areas are resort areas. And not all amusement parks are WDW, DL, or US/IoA.

I'm not defending WDW, just being realistic. You are going to pay more just for the convenience of being able to eat without leaving the resort. You're going to pay even more to get a really good, memorable meal. But most guests just want to have a quick meal and get back to the real purpose of being there ASAP.

drwadadli

The problem is that the quality of cuisine at the vast majority of these in park restaurants is FAR from high end especially for the price they are charging.
The Rose and Crown is similar to a Tilted Kilt restaurant just with a better atmosphere, but a $10 burger at Kilt costs like $15 at Rose & Crown.
Tony's Town Square is terrible Italian food. I have eaten at Olive Garden..and that food is actually better.
San Angel Inn restaurant in Mexico (Epcot) is terrible Mexican food. I have local places around me WAY better than that. The atmosphere is the only good thing about it.
Yak & Yeti food is poorly prepared and completely not worth the price. I would rather eat at my local Chinese restaurant and get my favorite meal for a fraction of the price.

If Disney is going to have Table Service restaurants and charge high end prices....then they better provide high end food.

The Yachtsman steakhouse, Ohana, etc.....those are worth the price. You pay for the food, the service and the quality at place like that.
But in the parks Disney is totally lacking in quality food for the price at their table service restaurants.
It looks like you like chain restaurants. I think Olive Garden has lousy not real Italian food and the Tilted Kilt is NOT even a real Irish Pub.

I agree Rose & Crown is a little overpriced but worth it for the atmosphere. The Tilted Kilt is an Americanized restaurant and the farthest from true Irish. The Field in Sand Diego (a REAL Irish Pub) charges $14.50 for burger and fries or O'Shaughnessy's in Chicago charges $11.00 for burger and fries or Molly's Pub (probably the most authentic Irish Pub in New York City) charges $15 - $16 for burger and fries. The Tilted Kilt sucks. If you like the Tilted Kilt then leave it and try a real Irish Pub!!!!

We don't eat at Tony's Town Square because of mixed review and we have great "mom-and-pop" Italian restaurants near us. Olive Garden is lousy 80's styles American take on Italian food which is why their business has been going downhill. We also don't eat at San Angel Inn because we have a large group of Mexicians that live here and we have GREAT little cantinas near us to eat at.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gatorboy

The problem is that the quality of cuisine at the vast majority of these in park restaurants is FAR from high end especially for the price they are charging.
The Rose and Crown is similar to a Tilted Kilt restaurant just with a better atmosphere, but a $10 burger at Kilt costs like $15 at Rose & Crown.
Tony's Town Square is terrible Italian food. I have eaten at Olive Garden..and that food is actually better.
San Angel Inn restaurant in Mexico (Epcot) is terrible Mexican food. I have local places around me WAY better than that. The atmosphere is the only good thing about it.
Yak & Yeti food is poorly prepared and completely not worth the price. I would rather eat at my local Chinese restaurant and get my favorite meal for a fraction of the price.

If Disney is going to have Table Service restaurants and charge high end prices....then they better provide high end food.

The Yachtsman steakhouse, Ohana, etc.....those are worth the price. You pay for the food, the service and the quality at place like that.
But in the parks Disney is totally lacking in quality food for the price at their table service restaurants.

Now it's the cuisine, come on, your still missing my point. The "cuisine" at a ball park isn't any better either. Or how about airport food. It's a captive market and Disney is no worse than any others that have a captive market. Since you apparently have spent so much time complaining about it, there is a simple solution, Don't eat at Disney! As far as your opinion of the food and comparisons in your post, it's like the old saying "opinions are like _______, everybody has one. And that is not a personal attack.

the majority of people who go to WDW are not expecting great dining. They are pretty much expecting to pay more than average for mediocre food - just as at any resort.

Are you sure about that? The way Disney sells their excellent cuisine and "premier restaurants."
It seems to me that when you say "the majority" you are projecting your own low expectations and tolerance for over-priced mediocrity.
See again my previous statements. The Disney Loyalists will excuse Disney of every flaw simply because they are Disney.

It looks like you like chain restaurants. I think Olive Garden has lousy not real Italian food and the Tilted Kilt is NOT even a real Irish Pub.

I agree Rose & Crown is a little overpriced but worth it for the atmosphere. The Tilted Kilt is an Americanized restaurant and the farthest from true Irish. The Field in Sand Diego (a REAL Irish Pub) charges $14.50 for burger and fries or O'Shaughnessy's in Chicago charges $11.00 for burger and fries or Molly's Pub (probably the most authentic Irish Pub in New York City) charges $15 - $16 for burger and fries. The Tilted Kilt sucks. If you like the Tilted Kilt then leave it and try a real Irish Pub!!!!

We don't eat at Tony's Town Square because of mixed review and we have great "mom-and-pop" Italian restaurants near us. Olive Garden is lousy 80's styles American take on Italian food which is why their business has been going downhill. We also don't eat at San Angel Inn because we have a large group of Mexicians that live here and we have GREAT little cantinas near us to eat at.

Rose & Crown is no
Now it's the cuisine, come on, your still missing my point. The "cuisine" at a ball park isn't any better either. Or how about airport food. It's a captive market and Disney is no worse than any others that have a captive market. Since you apparently have spent so much time complaining about it, there is a simple solution, Don't eat at Disney! As far as your opinion of the food and comparisons in your post, it's like the old saying "opinions are like _______, everybody has one. And that is not a personal attack.

Well if you are paying a higher price wouldn't you expect better quality.
Why do you people keep going for the straw man argument.

I am talking Disney food prices and cuisine, and you bring up airports and ballparks yet do not intelligently address the Disney prices. And YOU were the one who asked how we got on this food topic to begin with. We got here by ANOTHER Straw Man argument when they brought up big cities.

Nobody here can adequately defend Disney. They simply turn to another topic which I never brought up...the definition of a straw man argument.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
lol...why is this so complicated? People have been paying higher prices for the convenience of things forever. WDW is no different. You eat onsite. You pay a bit more. You're paying for the convenience, not the overall food quality. You decide if the convenience of doing so is worth it to you or not.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Water is no longer free. You ask for water and they charge you $1.00.
Rose & Crown is no

Well if you are paying a higher price wouldn't you expect better quality.
Why do you people keep going for the straw man argument.

I am talking Disney food prices and cuisine, and you bring up airports and ballparks yet do not intelligently address the Disney prices. And YOU were the one who asked how we got on this food topic to begin with. We got here by ANOTHER Straw Man argument when they brought up big cities.

Nobody here can adequately defend Disney. They simply turn to another topic which I never brought up...the definition of a straw man argument.

Disney is a luxury, we may not like it but they have every right to charge as much as people are willing to pay. If people are unhappy with the prices they can choose not to go. That is the only message that can be sent to Disney that will make them change their ways.

DaBears81

I think the horse has been beaten enough by now, can we move on to what this thread is supposed to be about!

When a large amount of people disagree with someone and they continue to use the same argument over and over. Clearly there is no reasoning with this person, so let's move on.

Attachments

• IMG_0256.JPG
    IMG_0256.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 164

The Mom

Premium Member
Are you sure about that? The way Disney sells their excellent cuisine and "premier restaurants."
It seems to me that when you say "the majority" you are projecting your own low expectations and tolerance for over-priced mediocrity.
See again my previous statements. The Disney Loyalists will excuse Disney of every flaw simply because they are Disney.

Really? Really? You really believe people say "Let's go to WDW this year because they advertise so many wonderful restaurants! The kids will love it!"

Really? Really? You really believe people say "Let's go to WDW this year because they advertise so many wonderful restaurants! The kids will love it!"

No, but I don't think they say, "Hey, let's go to Disney and spend a ton of money on generic food when they so often talk about how great their food is supposed to be."

The Mom

Premium Member
No, but I don't think they say, "Hey, let's go to Disney and spend a ton of money on generic food when they so often talk about how great their food is supposed to be."

Touche'. I guess I'm the only one who goes for the attractions, and is not expecting anything special , food wise. I consider the food budget on a vacation to be a drop in the bucket after the travel, hotel, and admission costs.

Touche'. I guess I'm the only one who goes for the attractions, and is not expecting anything special , food wise. I consider the food budget on a vacation to be a drop in the bucket after the travel, hotel, and admission costs.

I just expect that Disney make better food because I hold Disney to a better standard than any other generic amusement park.
Disney USED to make fantastic food. The food at 50's Prime Time, when Eisner was in charge, was AMAZING.
I was at MGM 2 weeks after if opened and they used to have ice cream in a chocolate car as a dessert.
The cast members told me that just two weeks before Eisner was in that restaurant and tried a piece of the chocolate.
They said that he said, "The texture isn't right, send the entire lot back."
That was someone who cared about the quality of the food in the parks. Iger is all about building and expanding. Under him food quality has plunged, customer service is not nearly as good as it used to be, cast members don't play their roles as well as they used to on rides, and prices have gone way up.

Disney has been established as the ultimate in all areas....but lately that quality has slipped badly.
Sadly too many are "just happy enough" with the slipping quality because they have become accustomed to it.
Little by little the quality has slipped and like a frog in hot water, turn the hot water up slowly enough and the frog won't realize it is boiling to death. This is where we are headed with Disney if we don't hold them to the quality standards that Walt wanted to begin with.

drwadadli

Iger is all about building and expanding. Under him food quality has plunged, customer service is not nearly as good as it used to be, cast members don't play their roles as well as they used to on rides, and prices have gone way up.

Disney has been established as the ultimate in all areas....but lately that quality has slipped badly.

I agree that while under Bob Iger quality has decreased and his term is coming close to an end (July 2, 2018). This is why there are a lot of articles and discussion about getting Iger out of Disney so that Disney can go back to caring about quality!!

I also agree that Michael Eisner cared more about quality since he was brought in by the board of The Walt Disney Company to strengthen the quality of the product and to help avoid possible take-overs that had plagued the company in the 1979's. At the same time, don't think Eisner was all about quality and not about building and expanding as you claim that is all Iger cares about. Eisner did bring us Disney-MGM Studios (now Hollywood Studios), Disney's California Adventure Park (now California Adventure), Euro Disney Park (now Disneyland Paris) and Disney-MGM Studio Paris (now Walt Disney Studios Park). I recall somewhere you making comment about Disney buying Lucas Films and Marvel Studios under Iger but remember that it was Eisner that acquired MiraMax Films, ABC and ESPN.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom