Will There Every Be a 5th Major Park?

Disday

Would anyone be okay with Pixar attractions at Universal? Disney paid $4 billion for Marvel, they should get the complete rights. If Universal wanted Marvel so badly they should have bid for it themselves. They had the chance. Now, they're letting some of the rides rust. I don't think they're that interested in a long term relationship with Marvel. Sorry if that offends anyone in love with the current status quo.:)

DancingPhoenix

I'm new too, but based on how Disney has done things I don't see another big park being that close to the speedway or another park.

Disney is all about the atmosphere as we all know, and when parks are too close to each other there are visuals from the other parks that will interrupt the setting. An example is being able to see ToT behind the Morocco pavillion in the World Showcase. They were able to cover it well enough by making the structure on th back of ToT match the Moroccain style, but with a park so close to other things (by placing it in the middle of WDW property) there are bound to be visual issues.

If they really are thinking about building another park with "big" attractions such as the ToT, Cinderella's Castle, SSE, or the Tree of Life, the gate would have to be as far away as DAK is from the rest.

juniorthomas

Would anyone be okay with Pixar attractions at Universal? Disney paid $4 billion for Marvel, they should get the complete rights. If Universal wanted Marvel so badly they should have bid for it themselves. They had the chance. Now, they're letting some of the rides rust. I don't think they're that interested in a long term relationship with Marvel. Sorry if that offends anyone in love with the current status quo.:)

Legal matters complicate things a little bit. Bob Iger said Disney would honor existing Marvel commitments, which means film and ride properties. After a while, either Universal will cease using Marvel properties, or they will renegotiate with Disney.

I agree though, I don't think Marvel characters are long for Universal parks.

juniorthomas

I'm new too, but based on how Disney has done things I don't see another big park being that close to the speedway or another park.

Disney is all about the atmosphere as we all know, and when parks are too close to each other there are visuals from the other parks that will interrupt the setting. An example is being able to see ToT behind the Morocco pavillion in the World Showcase. They were able to cover it well enough by making the structure on th back of ToT match the Moroccain style, but with a park so close to other things (by placing it in the middle of WDW property) there are bound to be visual issues.

If they really are thinking about building another park with "big" attractions such as the ToT, Cinderella's Castle, SSE, or the Tree of Life, the gate would have to be as far away as DAK is from the rest.

Truth.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

You don't half talk some bollocks, even for a fan dan.

Personally being raised with real culture the concept of comic book heroes is somewhat alien, as is the loyalty they attract from Billy Nomates. But you must have missed the fact that Disney gets income from a competitor for no financial exposure to themselves. They must be gutted at that.

Chevross

I do not think a park next to WDW Speedway will interfere with the atmosphere of the Magic Kingdom. Epcot and DHS are closer to each other than what this area and MK are, as well as the lake (Seven Seas Lagoon) that separates them would provide somewhat of a barrier. Once inside MK, I don't think a park within that proximity will be noticeable unless they build an attraction over 200ft within the hypothetical 5th park, which I doubt. Only two or three attractions are right at 199ft. A park similar to DHS would work within this area next to the WDW Speedway in my personal opinion, parking would have to be worked out though. The only atmosphere it may interfere with is the Campgrounds.

Disday

Someone would be mistaken if they think I'm a big Marvel fan. However, I've always thought that Marvel would be a good match for Disney even before they bought them. Comic Books are as cultural as Disney - they're part of American pop culture. They each deliver fantasy worlds to the paying public. - I'm sure that Disney doesn't make that much under the current contract. There are also the anti-trust issues of Disney being allowed to view Universal's books. This has already created controversy. I also wouldn't imagine that Warner Bros. is too thrilled with having Harry Potter at a park that includes their competition - Marvel. I could see that it would be easy for Universal to persuade them to grant the D.C. rights.:)

flavious27

agreed, one of the many reasons that I hate the swan and dolphin. It makes sense that a park is placed at the boundaries of the property like mk or ak, disney doesn't have to worry about guests seeing all 360 degrees of the park.

I think that one of the problems visually with a 5th gate is that we are expecting some thrill rides/coasters. It is hard to hide a 100 or 200 foot lift hill, while also making sure that you don't see so many different elements from around the park.

flavious27

I do not think a park next to WDW Speedway will interfere with the atmosphere of the Magic Kingdom. Epcot and DHS are closer to each other than what this area and MK are, as well as the lake (Seven Seas Lagoon) that separates them would provide somewhat of a barrier. Once inside MK, I don't think a park within that proximity will be noticeable unless they build an attraction over 200ft within the hypothetical 5th park, which I doubt. Only two or three attractions are right at 199ft. A park similar to DHS would work within this area next to the WDW Speedway in my personal opinion, parking would have to be worked out though. The only atmosphere it may interfere with is the Campgrounds.

I see that area more for a hotel or water park. It is to be seen how well aa goes when it opens up, if the hotels' occupancy rate rises with another thousand + rooms added, we are getting a new hotel. I would want to see more moderates in the park, the lineup of resorts is looking like a cheap burger: big top and bottom buns and no meat in the middle.

flavious27

Legal matters complicate things a little bit. Bob Iger said Disney would honor existing Marvel commitments, which means film and ride properties. After a while, either Universal will cease using Marvel properties, or they will renegotiate with Disney.

I agree though, I don't think Marvel characters are long for Universal parks.

Well need to see how the gift shop merch changes, if marvel stuff is removed overnight, there is some changes a coming.

DancingPhoenix

You're right that a smaller park would work, but considering how much lead up there is to the MK and the Seven Seas Lagoon I doubt they'd put anything in there. MK is the furthest away because it needs the most privacy, otherwise yeah they could build a lot of new gates around it.
There also may be the lakes inbetween but seeing across a lake is not too difficult, and if you're anywhere near the lake you CAN see Cinderella's castle.

They also would need a lot of parking space. If you've ever driven to the parks it's a winding loooong way until you actually get to the parking places... and THEN the gate. there isn't room for all of that in the space by the speedway. And sadly that would get rid of a lot of parking for the TTC.

I really would love to see it happen, but they could probably fit something between the speedway and CS.

Chevross

There also may be the lakes inbetween but seeing across a lake is not too difficult, and if you're anywhere near the lake you CAN see Cinderella's castle.

They also would need a lot of parking space. If you've ever driven to the parks it's a winding loooong way until you actually get to the parking places... and THEN the gate. there isn't room for all of that in the space by the speedway. And sadly that would get rid of a lot of parking for the TTC.

But from the entrance of Magic Kingdom can you see the WDW Speedway? I don't think so, and with as innovative as Disney is at hiding things, I'm sure they could work it in someway to hide a good majority of the hypothetical park from view or incorporate what can be seen as blending in with the surrounding settings.

Parking was a concern I did bring up, and I don't know how they'd figure around that unless they redeveloped a part of the Campgrounds into parking, which I would doubt. Maybe a relocation of the campgrounds, but I wouldn't want to think about the expenses on that. :lol:

DancingPhoenix

But from the entrance of Magic Kingdom can you see the WDW Speedway? I don't think so, and with as innovative as Disney is at hiding things, I'm sure they could work it in someway to hide a good majority of the hypothetical park from view or incorporate what can be seen as blending in with the surrounding settings.

Parking was a concern I did bring up, and I don't know how they'd figure around that unless they redeveloped a part of the Campgrounds into parking, which I would doubt. Maybe a relocation of the campgrounds, but I wouldn't want to think about the expenses on that. :lol:

Building a 5th park would be so expensive anyway... they might as well go all out! :lol:

BigThunderMatt

Building a 5th park would be so expensive anyway... they might as well go all out! :lol:

Depending on where it was built, they might not even have to hide construction. There's a lot of land area with backstage infrastructure that could be moved or repurposed for a fifth gate that's currently nowhere near any guest areas.

When they were building DAK, the closest guest area to the construction site were the All-Star Resorts, and back then the road that now leads to DAK (an extension of Osceola Parkway) just sort of dead-ended at the All-Stars. Guests wouldn't have been able to get there unless they had taken the back roads anyway.

RSoxNo1

Take this for what it's worth... On last week's Magical Definition podcast Jim Hill mentioned the likelihood of Disney re-acquiring the Marvel characters from Universal down the road.

Some of the replacements for Marvel Super Hero Island seemed quite strange, (The Musical Wicked was mentioned), but it was all purely speculative. Disney is looking a way to use the characters, but they're hamstrung by that previous contract. If they're willing to write a check to basically fund the makeover for their direct competitor it could happen.

I don't see it happening in the next 5 years mainly because there isn't a need to add the Marvel characters at this time. The parks have other holes to fill that wouldn't require this characters, but I do feel it's something that may pop up down the road.

flavious27

Any one know how to find out Flavious27's original question? Maybe an internet land ownership site? Now I'm interested.

Could the county own it?

I found out that part of the property was for sale in 2006.

Link

reedylake.png

This map shows the property lines around the lake. Disney does own the land on the western part of the lake; it doesn't look like any development has been done on the property that is for sale.

There will still be the problems of having to improve the infrastructure leading to this park, along with the land having to be annexed to rcid. Also, it would make sense to buy the land that cover most of lake lartigue for a hotel site.

flavious27

Any one know how to find out Flavious27's original question? Maybe an internet land ownership site? Now I'm interested.

Could the county own it?

I looked through the property record for oc, and I have the owners.

reedylake2.png

I also found this awesome logo:

rces.png

This would be a great shirt to buy, mickey is Zeus.

Disday

Okay this is something you can take or leave. I saw on one of the other Disney boards a post from someone who claims that the 5th park is the long rumored Dark Kingdom (Villain) park. I know, if we had a dollar for every time someone tells that rumor. But, what makes this rumor fun is that he gave the names of the possible lands of the park. These would include Villains Ville, Ghost Town, Pirates Cove, and Witch Way. I know that it is probably some newby trying to get attention for their self, but I try to keep an open mind about rumors. I thought that the Fantasyland plans were some Disney Geek trying to be creative, but we know how that turned out. I think that sometimes Disney leaks info. to gauge the reaction on the Disney boards. Somehow this rumor seemed like Disney's answer to Harry Potter.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom