Will There Every Be a 5th Major Park?

Bulldog1653

Hello all,

After a lengthy absence it's very interesting to come across this discussion. The idea of a 5th major park and possibly building a 3rd waterpark would certainly be extremely expensive but welcome.
In my honest opinion, I think that Disney should seriously consider working on their transportation system before adding other parks. Having been there many times, I can honestly say that the bus system either needs to be seriously overhauled or replaced with the monorail system altogether.
In the 1970's when the monorail was built, the beams cost about $1 Million a mile. I am aware that it would be extremely expensive to do an expansion 40 years later but it would be worthwhile. If the monorail system was to be expanded to provide transportation to and from the resorts and major parks, there would be several benefits. Given the size of the bus fleet and the rising diesel fuel costs, it would seem to me that they're throwing a TON of money away.
Monorails operate on electricity and don't burn fuel, eliminating diesel fuel expenses. Here's the other thing; a fully loaded monorail train can handle 365 passengers as opposed to a bus handling roughly 60-70 passengers.
The buses are way too inconsistent and inefficient and need to be phased out.
Now back on track. My biggest question about a 5th park is what would it's theme be? :shrug:
As for a waterpark, I honestly think that River Country needs to be brought back from the dead. That was a great park and it shouldn't have been closed in the first place.

flavious27

Hello all,

After a lengthy absence it's very interesting to come across this discussion. The idea of a 5th major park and possibly building a 3rd waterpark would certainly be extremely expensive but welcome.
In my honest opinion, I think that Disney should seriously consider working on their transportation system before adding other parks. Having been there many times, I can honestly say that the bus system either needs to be seriously overhauled or replaced with the monorail system altogether.
In the 1970's when the monorail was built, the beams cost about $1 Million a mile. I am aware that it would be extremely expensive to do an expansion 40 years later but it would be worthwhile. If the monorail system was to be expanded to provide transportation to and from the resorts and major parks, there would be several benefits. Given the size of the bus fleet and the rising diesel fuel costs, it would seem to me that they're throwing a TON of money away.
Monorails operate on electricity and don't burn fuel, eliminating diesel fuel expenses. Here's the other thing; a fully loaded monorail train can handle 365 passengers as opposed to a bus handling roughly 60-70 passengers.
The buses are way too inconsistent and inefficient and need to be phased out.
Now back on track. My biggest question about a 5th park is what would it's theme be? :shrug:
As for a waterpark, I honestly think that River Country needs to be brought back from the dead. That was a great park and it shouldn't have been closed in the first place.

I think that disney should look into having having their bus systems turned over to bio-diesel hybrids, with solar cells and regenerative braking.

As for a theme, how about Disney's Land of Imagination that focuses on literature, comics and graphic novels. This park will involve disney buying the rights to different franchises.

And yes a country theme is needed again for a 3rd WP.

MotherOfBirds

On the subject of WP's, I seem to recall that Discovery Island/Treasure Island had a pirate water park overhaul on the table many moons ago that was soon scrapped. How big is DI acreage-wise in comparison to BB and TL? If they could clear it out it would be a cool place for a reincarnation of River Country. Especially since there is a DVC somethingoranother slated to be build on the old RC property.

flavious27

On the subject of WP's, I seem to recall that Discovery Island/Treasure Island had a pirate water park overhaul on the table many moons ago that was soon scrapped. How big is DI acreage-wise in comparison to BB and TL? If they could clear it out it would be a cool place for a reincarnation of River Country. Especially since there is a DVC somethingoranother slated to be build on the old RC property.

It is smaller; DI is about 16 acres, TL is about 20 and BB is about 23. There would also need to be an additional parking lot built at the TTC with an infrastructure upgrade. Also more boats will be needed to travel to and from the TTC and the water bridge may need to be enlarged for the extra traffic.

kev24135

john-c-reilly-2006-mtv-movie-awards-arrivals-1SMRfC.jpg

I HEARD A SHAKE N BAKE LAND IS COMING TO EPCOT (FUTURE LAND OBVIOUSLY)

cheezbat

It is smaller; DI is about 16 acres, TL is about 20 and BB is about 23. There would also need to be an additional parking lot built at the TTC with an infrastructure upgrade. Also more boats will be needed to travel to and from the TTC and the water bridge may need to be enlarged for the extra traffic.

While I don't know the size of Discovery Island, I do know that Typhoon Lagoon is 61 acres, and Blizzard Beach is 66 acres. If DI is as small as you say it is, then it's definitely NOT the place for something like this.

Disneydreamer23

Although a 5th park would be very cool I think they should update and fix some things on the other parks first. example- finding nemo in epcot bruce used to pop out in 2008 and ever since dec 2008 ive been there 5 times since I have NEVER seen him pop out again and it totally ruined the effect. Number 2 the yeti It used to reach out and you and personally scare the ________ outta me and now he is standing still with a stobe light. Little things like this would make the park better and some charcaters on splash mountain dont work so well either, also more busses for value resorts would be nice too!

trr1

While I don't know the size of Discovery Island, I do know that Typhoon Lagoon is 61 acres, and Blizzard Beach is 66 acres. If DI is as small as you say it is, then it's definitely NOT the place for something like this.
why not make DI into a extention of the wedding pavillion to get married on or a honeymoon Island for newlyweds :eek:with"Can you feel the love tonight" music paying in the background :animwink:

flavious27

The whole sites (park, parking, infrastructure, buffer zone) for the TL and BB maybe 61 and 66 acres, the actual parks are much smaller.

40711288.png

Each block is 40,000 sq feet, so BB is less than 25 acres, so it is about 23 acres.

DI would be too small for a paid WP. Really it should be reopened as what it was before.

flavious27

why not make DI into a extention of the wedding pavillion to get married on or a honeymoon Island for newlyweds :eek:with"Can you feel the love tonight" music paying in the background :animwink:

Why not use one of the islands in the seven seas lagoon for that, they aren't developed yet and will have great views of the castle.

cheezbat

The whole sites (park, parking, infrastructure, buffer zone) for the TL and BB maybe 61 and 66 acres, the actual parks are much smaller.

40711288.png

Each block is 40,000 sq feet, so BB is less than 25 acres, so it is about 23 acres.

DI would be too small for a paid WP. Really it should be reopened as what it was before.

Wet N Wild is 30 acres and look how COMPACT that place is in comparison to the much more sprawled out Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon parks. The Disney parks are easily double the size of WNW. Disney themselves have stated the size of the parks. Just like they have for the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, AK, etc...so are you telling me that the 500 acres that encompasses DAK includes their parking lot? :)

flavious27

Wet N Wild is 30 acres and look how COMPACT that place is in comparison to the much more sprawled out Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon parks. The Disney parks are easily double the size of WNW. Disney themselves have stated the size of the parks. Just like they have for the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, AK, etc...so are you telling me that the 500 acres that encompasses DAK includes their parking lot? :)

and the future expansion we won't see for a decade or more.

cheezbat

Sounds like an intersting and totally Disney theme! And it has so much potential! Almost anything could be thrown into a park themed to that without having to worry about it being cohesive.

flavious27

I like the idea of Disney's Land of Imagination theme park.:)

Thanks.

What I was thinking was an entryway that would be modeled in a late 19th century london theme that would lead to a replica of the library of congress's jefferson building. One land would be new york themed and would use marvel characters for the attractions and additional theming.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom