Will The Great Movie Ride EVER be updated?

Vipex23

Original Poster
Well will it? It feels so old already and it needs some different movies. They should add a James Bond scene in there, a Terminator scene, something!.. anything! Just change parts of it.

ImagineerFan04

Originally posted by Vipex23
Well will it? It feels so old already and it needs some different movies. They should add a James Bond scene in there, a Terminator scene, something!.. anything! Just change parts of it.

I hope and Think so.

MonorailGreen

The Great Movie Ride

I heard that if the studios drops MGM off of its name that this attraction is one that will be gone. It would be nice to have an updated version of this classic Disney-MGM Studios attraction but it looks like a new one will be coming soon. I heard it is based on Disney Movie Villans and is in the Imagineering stage right now. The attraction is supposed to be put in the studios no matter what but if The Great Movie Ride goes it is going to be put in its place. Just what I heard... but if the studios doesn't lose the MGM part of the name the attraction WILL stay and in that case I think it needs a major upgrade!! Or maybe, just start from scratch on a new concept for going through classic movies, maybe a more Dinosaur-type ride with an edge and a thrill to it?? Either way the Villans project is scheduled to be at the Studios soon... =)

CTXRover

The easy answer, yes it will be updated. The hard answer, when it will be updated.

Eric Jacobson, Imagineering's senior vice president of creative development, was recently quoted in the Orlando Sentinel about a major undertaking to re-do The Great Movie Ride. "It's a big undertaking," Eric Jacobson said, but "somewhere down the road, we'll DEFINITELY update that attraction."

So there you go, from one of the head Imagineers, they will update GMR sometime. So that means they are definitely working on ideas to making actual plans for updating it. But of course, when and how much they will get money-wise to do it are not known.

meeko_33785

I hope they don't change it too much. This is one of my favorite attractions at WDW and I'd hate to see it altered too much. I wouldn't mind seeing the Alien scene gone though and prehaps something else done with the "Footlight Parade", and "Fantasia" tableaus. Whatever they do, I hope it still remains true to the theme of the current ride- "A spectacular journey INTO the movies".

SNS

Re: The Great Movie Ride

Originally posted by MonorailGreen
I heard that if the studios drops MGM off of its name that this attraction is one that will be gone.

How's the situation now? They have been talking about this for years.

BTW, I read that the hat was placed in front of the Great Movie Ride, so that it blocks the view of it when/if they decide to demolish the building.

I hope they don't change it TOO much...it's one of my faves! The GMR was what got me into classic films...now I'm hopelessly addicted! :D I like how they include several different genres...horror, sci-fi, romance, gangster, western, musical...I agree that it needs an update, but I too hope that it does not lose its main theme of a journey through lots of types of movies.

CTXRover

Re: Re: The Great Movie Ride

Originally posted by SNS
BTW, I read that the hat was placed in front of the Great Movie Ride, so that it blocks the view of it when/if they decide to demolish the building.

Yea, that's what I thought too. But then earlier this year they re-habbed the whole outside front of the GMR, complete with all new paint but the hat remains, blocking it completely. Now, either the update isn't happening as soon as they may have originally planned when installing the hat (prior to 9/11/01) and the front deseperately needed a rehab , or they have always had other plans up their sleeves for that building.

Disneyland/DCA

I really liked the Great Movie Ride when I went in 2000 and 2002. It reminded me of the tram tour at USH, but better because there were actually "actors" in the movie scenes. I know that all you people that visit WDW frequently would like it to change (I feel the same with some rides at Disneyland), but what about the people that don't visit it all the time. It's like a new ride every time we ride it. How would you feel if I suggested that they change Indiana Jones Adventure here, in CA, because I ride it all the time, and it gets boring.

DDuckFan130

I've been on it a lot also and yeah it has gotten boring I think they should change around the live acting if anything and have people act in other scenes or something and maybe ADD movies if they can cuz the ones they have are classics so all they can do is add...lol my mom loves to sleep in these kinds of rides since she's seen them so much (and like SE) and the last time we went the actor who "kidnapped" us saw her as he was going up to get the jewel in the Indiana Jones part and as he was walking past her he's like "wake up!" :lol: my mom didn't even realize til we told her..I do have to say I love the montage in the end with all these awesome movies...gives me chills :D

bhg469

im all for change, nothing is going to change the fact tat the movies featured are great ones, but i refuse to believe that they cant take out something like tarzan and put in something like starwars or evern go as modern as lord of the rings. it would be kind of sad to not recognize modern movies that have made a huge impact but wontbe featured because they are new. its the "great movie ride" not "the great before 1985 movie ride"

Lee

Adventurer
A major change/update for GMR is definately in the works.
Give it about another 3 years.

The exterior will not change. They are going to keep the Chinese Theatre theme, but change the signage and posters.

Blake

I went on the attraction this summer and actually really enjoyed myself- as did the rest of the people with me. And we must not have been the only ones as the line was long all day. I hope they dont change it too much- it would would be a shame to see the ride taken out all-together.

O'Mailey

I wouldn't mind seeing Disney change some of the scenes and movies in TGMR but I hope that the main ride stays the same. I really enjoyed this ride when I was at Disney in 2000. I thought that it was the only true Disney dark ride in the park. I wouldn't mind seeing the long rumored Villains attactions at the studios, but if it is added I hope that it doesn't replace and already existing attaction in the park. In my opinion that park is pretty short on its number of rides and has plenty of room to add a new one without taking one out.

wannabeBelle

I am absolutely with Meeko on this one. Alien NEEDS to go...I really dig the rest of the ride especially the Casablanca Scene....but that Alien.......:lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun Belle

PixieTinkerbell

I have always loved GMR. My favorite part is the montage at the end. I always get a little teary. (I know I'm a hopeless geek and I embrace it.) I also love getting kidnapped by the bandit but unfortunately that happens less and less these days.

Blake

you don't get kidnapped every time??? Every time i've gone on the attraction, i always get kidnapped by the bandit guy- i thought it was always the case. I really couldnt imagine it without that part of the ride...

DDuckFan130

We've gotten kidnapped every time, and once we got the bandit...normally we've gotten the gangsters...now that i think about it, once we didn't get kidnapped at all i was taken off guard i was like hmm weird :lookaroun

AriBelle23

That usually happens when they have a really long line and have 2 shows going...the first vehicle goes into the country western part where they have live actors and the second vehicle stays in the ganster scenes. My mom is obsessed with GMR and I am almost positive this is what happens when they have to keep the line moving and have 2 vehicles going at once. Someone correct me if i am wrong. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom