Will the explosion in 3D tech for home TV's negatively impact 3D at the parks?

njDizFan

I don't think 2D TVs will be an option in 5 years. If anyone has seen or read Fahrenheit 451(Bradbery wrote this in 1953), the society depicted all watched full wall size TVs showing nothing but reality televison. I see it like that soon, giant 120" screen broadcasting 3D. Virtual television.

But YES to Holovision, I hope I can hold out for that.:sohappy:

IWant2GoNow

I saw it last week in Alice. :shrug:

I wish I would some time. I've been to numerous 3D films most on opening weekend and I hear "oohs" and "aahs" but I figured kids would be reaching out for stuff all over the place. I've seen Up, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Alice, Avatar, Monsters vs. Aliens, and a couple others. But I say the interactiveness of the 3D shows at WDW are a lot better (not including the 4D effects). I just wonder how Muppet-Vision will look after the refurb. If it will have only the depth, or if things will actually appear to be hovering over the audience. I'm not saying the new 3D stuff is bad, I just like the older stuff better.

Avenger117

Also I think the parks will innovate. The will move towards more 4D type shows with water, smells, and maybe seats that move or shake during certain parts of the show.

Cosmic Commando

Even if I could watch Muppetvision at home, the wife wouldn't let me blast holes in the walls at the end like they can at WDW. :ROFLOL:

Although, when glasses-less 3-D becomes mainstream, it needs to get to the parks pronto.

Courtney1188

Absolutely it will. Within the year ESPN will have it's own 3D channel as well as an all 3D network available through all major markets. South Korea already has a channel for 3D only broadcasts. BluRay will also put out a 3D DVD player within months. Everything will be 3D by default within a few years. Does not bode well for Hista, Philharmagic, etc...

I highly doubt almost all of this...I will be able to give out info with more confidence after I attend my 3D training (which will be soon! I work in a high-end home theater department).

Yes, 3D-ready TVs are coming out this year, within the next couple weeks. Emphasis on READY, meaning that the TV is not automatically 3d. After buying that very expensive 3D TV, you will need the glasses...personally, I would feel strange wearing 3D glasses in my home, but to each his own.

Next, you have to have a 3D source, which is something you don't seem to be considering. Cable TV isn't even capable of playing your shows in full 1080p, so what makes you think they'll be 3D anytime soon? You will be able to watch your Blurays in 3D - but you will need to buy a new Bluray player, because if you bought yours more than a month or so ago, there is no way it has the 3D technology.

And it gets even more complicated for the people with surround sound who run their Bluray through a receiver! They will need a new receiver, because current models run HDMI 1.3, and the 3D technology requires 1.4

Not quite as simple as most people want to make it...and regardless, the screen will be smaller and no 4D effects. I don't think Disney has too much to worry about at this point.

devoy1701

I highly doubt almost all of this...I will be able to give out info with more confidence after I attend my 3D training (which will be soon! I work in a high-end home theater department).

Yes, 3D-ready TVs are coming out this year, within the next couple weeks. Emphasis on READY, meaning that the TV is not automatically 3d. After buying that very expensive 3D TV, you will need the glasses...personally, I would feel strange wearing 3D glasses in my home, but to each his own.

Next, you have to have a 3D source, which is something you don't seem to be considering. Cable TV isn't even capable of playing your shows in full 1080p, so what makes you think they'll be 3D anytime soon? You will be able to watch your Blurays in 3D - but you will need to buy a new Bluray player, because if you bought yours more than a month or so ago, there is no way it has the 3D technology.

And it gets even more complicated for the people with surround sound who run their Bluray through a receiver! They will need a new receiver, because current models run HDMI 1.3, and the 3D technology requires 1.4

Not quite as simple as most people want to make it...and regardless, the screen will be smaller and no 4D effects. I don't think Disney has too much to worry about at this point.

definitely agree about the glasses at home. Until they can make images 3D without the glasses (holographic projections) I'm not going to be buying in to any of this at home.

RoRo

I don't think the 3-D at the parks will be affected at all. First of all, the screens are so much larger (especially Philhar Magic) and at home we don't get those 4-D effects. If my couch can vibrate, give out certain smells, and spit water at me, then yes it would succeed the 3-D in the parks.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Well, the WDW shows still have the appeal of the 4-D effects like water, smells, wind, etc. But I definately think it will slow down the addition of more 3-D shows in the future.

The in-park 3-D presentations will still offer large screen theaters with the "4-D" effects, which will hardly provide the same experience you get in 3-D at home.

It should be noted that people have had big screen TV's, game consoles, and and home theater systems in their living rooms for years, but this in no way diminishes the theme-park attraction experience of conventional or "standard definition" movies and video. From the finale of The Great Movie Ride to the barn scenes in The Land to Impressions de France, no one questions the effective use (in the proper context, of course, there's a certian flash-video thing in Spacehsip Earth...) of regular movies and video for park attractions. Aside from the novelty factor, why should 3-D be any different?

I don't think the 3-D at the parks will be affected at all. First of all, the screens are so much larger (especially Philhar Magic) and at home we don't get those 4-D effects. If my couch can vibrate, give out certain smells, and spit water at me, then yes it would succeed the 3-D in the parks.

Special effects and 4-D are totally different animals.

When Disney starts having attractions in 4-D that will be absolutely amazing...or extremely scary...not sure which one it would be. :shrug:

Disney05

Zero impact on parks. Until I can get a screen in my house the size of an IMAX screen, can't compare. Just a whole different viewing experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom