Will Leave a Legacy Return

NelsonRD

Even if they didn't continue to sell them it is very unlikely that they could have done things alphabetically, even with the help of the Phoenicians. They didn't put them on the stones after they were all sold, that would be impossible. Unless by some miracle they were able to sell them alphabetically. Suppose they were up to the W's and someone named Arnold shows up. Would they have to move every single one to fit it in the A's? That is why they always had the cross reference. You gave your name they looked it up alphabetically and then told you the section, row, etc. where it was located.
They were grouped alphabetically by letter, not necessarily by name. So if your name was Arnold, you would be in A, which I find more attractive than 005.

Goofyernmost

They were grouped alphabetically by letter, not necessarily by name. So if your name was Arnold, you would be in A, which I find more attractive than 005.
I'll have to take your word for it. I never felt that spending that kind of money for a postage stamp size, almost distorted to the degree unrecognizable if you didn't know the people involved, to be something that was right for me. I would have gone with the entrance blocks with names and dates but I didn't get there in time, nor go often enough to warrant the expense. Didn't they decide to pull the blocks at one point? Did they ever do it? I'm afraid that my walking habit usually made me look forward and not down I didn't notice whether or not they were removed. Since I didn't have one, I had no reason to look down.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Lots more up today

Leave-a-Legacy_Full_40861.jpg

NelsonRD

I'll have to take your word for it. I never felt that spending that kind of money for a postage stamp size, almost distorted to the degree unrecognizable if you didn't know the people involved, to be something that was right for me. I would have gone with the entrance blocks with names and dates but I didn't get there in time, nor go often enough to warrant the expense. Didn't they decide to pull the blocks at one point? Did they ever do it? I'm afraid that my walking habit usually made me look forward and not down I didn't notice whether or not they were removed. Since I didn't have one, I had no reason to look down.

I think you are trying to have a different argument that my post? I said nothing about about the practicability, or value of this, I just suggested the implementation should have been grouped alphabetically opposed to numerically, as it was alphabetically before.

Goofyernmost

I think you are trying to have a different argument that my post? I said nothing about about the practicability, or value of this, I just suggested the implementation should have been grouped alphabetically opposed to numerically, as it was alphabetically before.
I wasn't arguing about anything. I was expressing a deep emotional thing that involved a part of my life. It just struck me as wrong to compare the supreme sacrifice of so many people of promise to the legacy tiles at Epcot. Other than that I have no real concern about how anyone individually see things. But, now you know how I feel and why I feel it. The rest is up to you.

Biff215

They were alphabetized before.
Wow, if they were alphabetical before, I never noticed that. Sure there were letters at the top of each panel, but those were simply for location purposes and repeated in every row. I'm sure they needed some sort of plan for spreading them out from the start, so it does make sense that there could be a specific order.

As others have mentioned, however, keeping them in alphabetical order throughout 7-8 years of sales would be impossible, particularly because Disney had no way of predicting how much space they would need for a particular letter. Each monolith differed in size as you got closer to SSE, so I'm not sure how they could keep it alphabetical. I'm not saying you're definitely wrong, I just can't wrap my brain around how that could work.

With the new setup they certainly could have alphabetized them. This would be mostly useless to those of us with tiles though since there are no names on them. You'd only know that your last name that starts with "S" would fall on one of maybe a dozen or more wall sections. Really cool that they finally created a website with this info, it certainly beats bugging a CM in a store or at guest relations.

nickys

Premium Member
Wow, if they were alphabetical before, I never noticed that. Sure there were letters at the top of each panel, but those were simply for location purposes and repeated in every row. I'm sure they needed some sort of plan for spreading them out from the start, so it does make sense that there could be a specific order.

As others have mentioned, however, keeping them in alphabetical order throughout 7-8 years of sales would be impossible, particularly because Disney had no way of predicting how much space they would need for a particular letter. Each monolith differed in size as you got closer to SSE, so I'm not sure how they could keep it alphabetical. I'm not saying you're definitely wrong, I just can't wrap my brain around how that could work.

With the new setup they certainly could have alphabetized them. This would be mostly useless to those of us with tiles though since there are no names on them. You'd only know that your last name that starts with "S" would fall on one of maybe a dozen or more wall sections. Really cool that they finally created a website with this info, it certainly beats bugging a CM in a store or at guest relations.
I think people are mis-understanding.

I believe it alphabetised in that all the A names were together, all the B names and so on. It was not strictly alphabetical within that because of the continuing nature of sales.

NelsonRD

I though I made it clear that it was alphabetized by category, not by name, and I find letter headers more attractive than numerical.

So you're saying they would shift a whole bunch of tiles so that Smith would be placed before Snith?
I doubt that

No, but you would still be in S

Biff215

I though I made it clear that it was alphabetized by category, not by name, and I find letter headers more attractive than numerical.
I understand what you're saying and don't disagree. I just wasn't aware that they were alphabetized before. Looking at where these walls are popping up and how it's not continuous, they may have decided that alphabetical would actually be more confusing.

Plus, then how could they keep NSYNC together??? 🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom