Will it Star Wars?

Brad Bishop

Original Poster
Episode 9 will be safe and they will make a dull “correction” movie.

We’ll find out that Rey is - indeed - from a storied and famous family tree...ren will probably be “redeemed”...and Carrie Fisher will be so bad you’ll have to go on a potty break - yet will be lauded.

And after the too short, climactic battle...a “new republic” will be created where bold new stories can later be told.

So I feel like I should load up my jansport and head off on my diamondback to chem lab...cause nothing has changed since the EU universe. Except ford got paid to mistakenly back his plane into dumpsters even more.

It will make probably $1.5 or so bill...but like jedi will be panned for the next 30 years after you leave the amc bathroom. Because anybody will buy a movie ticket to anything and that is why box office doesn’t address the Star Wars franchise at all. See: Furious, Fast and

That actually reminds me what I was thinking at the end of Last Jedi:

I just wanted the Empire to win. I was tired of this rag-tag rebellion that couldn't get things done. They have always been off "..to fight another day."

At the same time, and I think Ren actually said this, all of that Empire "power" and they can't take out a little bit of resistence. What's the point of investing that much in your power if you can't take care of a little uprising, especially when you have the last of them on the run.

Both sides annoyed me to no end in those regard.

Also, going to the Han death scene with Ren - that annoyed me. At that point, when I was fairly sure I knew what was going to happen, and it did, I was really hoping that they'd just do a different take than literally every other movie, and have Han take his obviously evil/messed up son out. Nope. They followed the old playbook. Great - just like every other story.

Oh, and getting back to the Last Jedi where Luke and Ren faced off. I was actually hopeful. I thought, "Whoa, he's taking all of those hits - he truly IS a Jedi master. He somehow transcends the physical world in his Jedi prowess.. but, now - it was just Luke projecting himself and, "whew!" was he exhausted after. That just seemed like such a cop-out to me. It seemed dumb.

I really don't like what Star Wars has become and have lost interest. Again, considering I was 7 when Star Wars came out, I should be the ultimate fanboy.

tk924

I really don't like what Star Wars has become and have lost interest. Again, considering I was 7 when Star Wars came out, I should be the ultimate fanboy.

Agreed.
I haven't lost total interest and don't think I ever will as the OT will always be the gold standard. Heck, these last 2 toilet flushers have elevated the PT for me so now I have those to enjoy even more as well.
If SW:GE does not have a decent OT vibe, it may lose a lot of the SW attraction.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That actually reminds me what I was thinking at the end of Last Jedi:

I just wanted the Empire to win. I was tired of this rag-tag rebellion that couldn't get things done. They have always been off "..to fight another day."

At the same time, and I think Ren actually said this, all of that Empire "power" and they can't take out a little bit of resistence. What's the point of investing that much in your power if you can't take care of a little uprising, especially when you have the last of them on the run.

Both sides annoyed me to no end in those regard.

Also, going to the Han death scene with Ren - that annoyed me. At that point, when I was fairly sure I knew what was going to happen, and it did, I was really hoping that they'd just do a different take than literally every other movie, and have Han take his obviously evil/messed up son out. Nope. They followed the old playbook. Great - just like every other story.

Oh, and getting back to the Last Jedi where Luke and Ren faced off. I was actually hopeful. I thought, "Whoa, he's taking all of those hits - he truly IS a Jedi master. He somehow transcends the physical world in his Jedi prowess.. but, now - it was just Luke projecting himself and, "whew!" was he exhausted after. That just seemed like such a cop-out to me. It seemed dumb.

Everything done in 7 and 8 was dumb.

Starting with renaming the combatants...didn’t make any sense:

So desperate to erase the EU for merchandise that they made the entire setting muddled. What was wrong with “empire” again? If you’re craxy enough to make/steal their stuff...you would want an alias? Even “alliance” would have worked better.

That was all because George turned everyone off with no sets. The story didn’t matter...the characters didn’t matter...they rebooted...because people only cared about sets.

And on abrams - somehow a “savior” - he never did character development...only premises/pilots. Check the tape...he wrote I believe one episode of Lost and one season of alias.
And he directed mission impossible 3 and Star Trek...

Never developed a character.

He’s not incompetent. But he loves speilberg and his money and he and Kennedy were in over their heads with Star Wars in the post prequel world from the start.

Just me...I guess?

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Wrong actor...it’s been said - and its true. Couldn’t pull it off.
Speaking of whiny. Unless that’s what they were going for - a retrofit “like father, like son” scenario.

I don’t like him in pretty much anything. Not so crazy about McGregor, either.

Shields up for me here, I believe the loss of interest in the toys is partially due to the fact that the films have turned away from their core audience - young boys - in order to cast a wider net.
Not too many girls are going to buy action figures no matter how hard the films run the strong female cast.
At the same time, boy lose interest as well.

We all bought plenty of Leia figures.

I think it rests more on the lack of character development. We loved the original characters and wanted to keep them in our homes. Then the completist collector gene took over in some of us.

The new characters are OK, with Poe being the best actor, but overall not so compelling. They would have to make four hour movies to get it all in, the way they’ve been going.

And, seriously, stop the Ewok-bashing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Speaking of whiny. Unless that’s what they were going for - a retrofit “like father, like son” scenario.

I don’t like him in pretty much anything. Not so crazy about McGregor, either.

We all bought plenty of Leia figures.

I think it rests more on the lack of character development. We loved the original characters and wanted to keep them in our homes. Then the completist collector gene took over in some of us.

The new characters are OK, with Poe being the best actor, but overall not so compelling. They would have to make four hour movies to get it all in, the way they’ve been going.

And, seriously, stop the Ewok-bashing.

Good points.

So they introduced 4 new “primary characters” and 4 prime antogonists. But have more restrictions on run times set by the studio and theaters.

Doesn’t make any sense.

And of course they throw in a bunch of needless ancillary characters...which are all flat...and kill off the one holdover that’s universally loved.

They also introduce a new Droid and make the other two pointless. Skywalker and r2-d2 were absolutely the most pivotal two characters in the original trilogy...

Those two must be the most ticked now...and rightfully so. Thank god hamill had the stones to say it.

World_Showcase_Lover007

I want to have an opinion, but it is very difficult being that I still don’t understand the appeal of Star Wars at all and why ppl enjoy it so much.

It was a ready-made IP purchased to be a cash cow. There is nothing Disney about it.

Tony the Tigger

Good points.

So they introduced 4 new “primary characters” and 4 prime antogonists. But have more restrictions on run times set by the studio and theaters.

Doesn’t make any sense.

And of course they throw in a bunch of needless ancillary characters...which are all flat...and kill off the one holdover that’s universally loved.

They also introduce a new Droid and make the other two pointless. Skywalker and r2-d2 were absolutely the most pivotal two characters in the original trilogy...

Those two must be the most ticked now...and rightfully so. Thank god hamill had the stones to say it.
Yeah he did...

And think of a lot of us feel the same as Mark...

I hadn't seen those interviews before. I get the "relay race" reference, etc. I also noticed the "fan fiction used the best stuff up" point.

Now, I don't know if this is how it was meant, but you have to allow for the possibility that this was a cliffhanger that was meant to elicit an emotional reaction.

Maybe he's not dead (I doubt that, because Leia felt something happen.) But hey, he could be in a weakened state and reawakened. (The Force ReAwakens LOL.)

Or an upcoming film can delve much deeper into the "hologram realm" where we typically have seen Obi Wan, Yoda, Anakin for brief glimpses. Maybe it goes further into exploring that realm where they exist and focus on Luke in that realm, so there's a more believable and contiguous storyline for him, and he still gets a bigger role in the next film. He could holo-train new Jedi (and they can't mess with him like Kylo did LOL.)

In all seriousness, I have no problem with the storyline that he was never a fully developed Jedi. He left training early. He had things to work on, but set out to train others, perhaps prematurely, and it came back to bite him in the form of Han & Leia's kid getting all messed up and Luke didn't know how to handle it. That's believable to me.

There's a difference between something sucking because you don't want to see that happen to somebody vs. something sucking because it's a stupid storyline.

Same with Phasma (who I think was referenced recently, not by name.) In real life, people we like die. That's what happens. They get killed in wars. That's realistic. Plus, she's a "bad guy" to begin with.

My real problems: I still hate CGI. I still notice it and it distracts me. It's getting better, though.

I still don't get or care about Snopes, Snoopy, Snoke, Snookums. Bad effect from the first moment. Never fully explained, or if they did, I was bored already and not paying attention. Didn't fear him and he died quickly (much like someone else said about Darth Maul, although Maul was at least "real" to me on some level.) At the same time, when I saw the preview for ep 1, I kind of rolled my eyes a bit and thought "Oh, I guess they had to have a new Vader level character, and this one has a double lightsaber. Whatever." So on the bright side, it didn't really turn out to be that. On the downside, it didn't turn out to be better than that, IMO.

I've said this before, but not on this thread. Lucas intended 9 films a very long time ago. He should have done 7,8,9 instead of 1,2,3 when the actors were still alive and maybe in their 40's instead of 60's (if that's right, I'm guessing.) Then you can go back and do the prequels with any actors.

Also, the haters get on my nerves. Having to be right all the time can just ruin things.

Side note: I don't understand the title of this thread.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There is a good 27 minute video out there that takes all of hamills interview comments through the end of last year and splices them together. It’s is absolutely damning.

Then Disney held his episode 9 paycheck over him and he issued a completely non-convincing retraction.

Come on, people...this isn’t hard. BELIEVE the jedi...he’s frankly the only one left with Star Wars that has the foggiest clue about Star Wars.

Tony the Tigger

There is a good 27 minute video out there that takes all of hamills interview comments through the end of last year and splices them together. It’s is absolutely damning.

Then Disney held his episode 9 paycheck over him and he issued a completely non-convincing retraction.

Come on, people...this isn’t hard. BELIEVE the jedi...he’s frankly the only one left with Star Wars that has the foggiest clue about Star Wars.

But, he's right. He's an actor - not a writer, creator, producer. Actors often have input with their characters but not control over them or the bigger storyline.

Hamil could have become a director by now. He chose not to. Therefore, he listens to the director.

TwilightZone

I want to have an opinion, but it is very difficult being that I still don’t understand the appeal of Star Wars at all and why ppl enjoy it so much.

It was a ready-made IP purchased to be a cash cow. There is nothing Disney about it.
There is something dinsey about it. Star Tours! The original version of the ride opened during the eisner era.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There's a difference between something sucking because you don't want to see that happen to somebody vs. something sucking because it's a stupid storyline.

Same with Phasma (who I think was referenced recently, not by name.) In real life, people we like die. That's what happens. They get killed in wars. That's realistic. Plus, she's a "bad guy" to begin with.

Two things: the disgruntled fans haven’t been complaining because they “weren’t mature enough” to see the intelligent new plot and character twists since episode 1...the stuff has simply sucked. This is the same argument we get into about Disney parks...haters are not haters...they are lovers looking for their faith to be rewarded. And when they are crapped on, and the D doesn’t own up to it...they react. It’s a healthy cynicism that is absolutely needed in the entetainment. If it’s not extreme. That racist stuff against the character in 8 was extreme and unnecessary. I mean - she did stink, has no point in the story...and does correspond to a plan that it’s seems obvious Disney and the Kennedy clan is pursuing...not shocker there...
But have some class and don’t spew hatred and vitriol. It’s makes the good parts of the world look bad.

Second...that thing about “people die” is a bit of an excuse for how badly they’ve done. Of course people die...but tv and film is ESCAPISM. That’s why it is popular. They do psychological studies on this...people want be happy or think about how they’re glad they’re not in the situation when they watch. What did chumping Luke skywalker...with that cringe worthy “you changed your hair”
joke do??

Nothing...they’ve just gotten all the details wrong. Watch the Yoda scene and notice how much Better the Dagobah scenes were done...it’s shocking.

And...”people die” didn’t apply when they basically replaced Gareth Edwards and had the R1 ending recut because it was “too adult”...
Which way we gonna play it?

I've said this before, but not on this thread. Lucas intended 9 films a very long time ago. He should have done 7,8,9 instead of 1,2,3 when the actors were still alive and maybe in their 40's instead of 60's (if that's right, I'm guessing.) Then you can go back and do the prequels with any actors.

Also, the haters get on my nerves. Having to be right all the time can just ruin things.

I totally agree about the sequels. My proof is the clip below (2000)...
But the “haters” haven’t really been wrong. So your nerves need to kinda adapt i think.

But, he's right. He's an actor - not a writer, creator, producer. Actors often have input with their characters but not control over them or the bigger storyline.

Hamil could have become a director by now. He chose not to. Therefore, he listens to the director.

That’s kinda cheap, isn’t it? He’s an actor that has lead a fairly normal life. Did he have to climb “the ladder”?

Can we leave that to lawyers and Salesman?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom