Will EO bring a new Imagination Pavilion?

GizmoDuck

Original Poster
As many of you have read I'm sure, the return of Captain EO to Disneyland has brought about rumors of the show being reconsidered for Epcot.

(http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al120109a.htm)

This has me wondering if they will use this as an opportunity for an overhaul of the current stale and controversial Imagination pavilion.

If the show is brought back, perhaps will it finally allow a new JII to be green lit? Could this bring about a newly imagined (no pun intended) Imagination pavilion?:shrug:

Your thoughts?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
As many of you have read I'm sure, the return of Captain EO is officially being "reconsidered" for Epcot.

(http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al120109a.htm)

This has me wondering if they will use this as an opportunity for an overhaul of the current stale and controversial Imagination pavilion.

If the show is brought back, perhaps will it finally allow a new JII to be green lit? Could this bring about a newly imagined (no pun intended) Imagination pavilion?:shrug:

Your thoughts?

Have you read somewhere from a Disney source that it's being looked at for Epcot? I know it's speculated, but I have not seen anything official.

Lee

Adventurer
A refurb to the Imagination pavillion will happen with or with out EO.
Apparently, after months of rejecting the idea of EO, they are at least considering it. However, it is unrelated to the future plans for the pavillion, and would be a temporary move.

GizmoDuck

Original Poster
A refurb to the Imagination pavillion will happen with or with out EO.
Apparently, after months of rejecting the idea of EO, they are at least considering it. However, it is unrelated to the future plans for the pavillion, and would be a temporary move.

You don't think the return of EO would at least speed up plans for the refurb?

I would imagine that the revival would bring about an interest in the pavilion by the public, and therefore would make in more prominent in the eyes of management.

lazyboy97o

You don't think the return of EO would at least speed up plans for the refurb?

I would imagine that the revival would bring about an interest in the pavilion by the public, and therefore would make in more prominent in the eyes of management.
I would be more concerned that renewed interest would delay any plans to change the attraction as people would now be attending.

Lee

Adventurer
I would be more concerned that renewed interest would delay any plans to change the attraction as people would now be attending.

Very likely that it could slow existing plans.
If EO were to start packing in the crowds, the pavillion as a whole would also see an increase in traffic. Why refurb a busy ride? EO could buy it another 5 or 6 years.
Actually....that could be what is motivating them to consider it.

tirian

Very likely that it could slow existing plans.
If EO were to start packing in the crowds, the pavillion as a whole would also see an increase in traffic. Why refurb a busy ride? EO could buy it another 5 or 6 years.

Yuck. I hadn't thought about that. Of course, it's still speculation.

Steve>>
Nothing is official yet. It's merely being reconsidered right now. A month ago, this was dead.

juan

I could see it going a few different ways:

1)EO put into place, draws crowds, but main pavilion is still bypassed. Nothing big happens

2)As said above, EO put in, increases crowds and main redo is postponed

3)Pavilion re-done, EO opens while JII is closed. Once JII reopens, EO closes to be redone (this could be beneficial by splitting the budget over a couple years)

4)Nothing happens

5)Pavilion is completely redone with EO never making it to the pavilion

I would hope for #3 or #5

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL if this is Disney's thoughts, especially for DL, HISTA has been LOOONG outdated and there's no new reason for people to see it, on the other hand, Disney thinks MJ freaks will want to see Captain EO again, hence delaying any need to make a new attraction in HISTA's place for at least a year or even more possibly.

Mr.EPCOT

I think EO would draw more people than Honey, I Shrunk the Audience for a while, but not enough people for long enough to affect the overall pavilion redo.

Here are the pertinent paragraphs from the MiceAge article:

Al Lutz said:
The latest delay has been over the Kodak sponsorship of the attraction, not surprisingly. It seems there's not a thing Kodak can do about what plays inside the theater itself, and lucky for them the Kodak folks are very supportive of changing the show back to Captain EO. Even Kodak can't pretend that the tired old Honey I Shrunk The Audience show is doing much for their image, as most days Dole gets more people filing through the 45 year old Tiki Room than Kodak has visiting the Imagination Institute.

But Kodak does have a legally binding contract on what the pre-show video and their commercial looks like, and in what context it is presented. The end result now has WDI keeping the Imagination Institute theme for the overall facility during Captain EO's run, and shoehorning the EO introduction into the Kodak commercial that plays in the lobby beforehand.

What has also come online in the meantime is the plan to return Captain EO to the Epcot version of the Imagination Institute as well, which is just one part of the larger Kodak pavilion in that Florida park. And the latest wrinkle is that the Oriental Land Company also wants in on the retro-fun and is looking to replace their current MicroAdventure! attraction at Tokyo Disneyland with Captain EO in 2010.

TP2000

Have you read somewhere from a Disney source that it's being looked at for Epcot? I know it's speculated, but I have not seen anything official.

The "Disney source" is Al Lutz in his latest update on Miceage today. But at least here in SoCal and for things involving Disneyland, he's a very good source for solid rumors.

And this time, Al Lutz is saying the plans are moving ahead to bring EO back to Epcot in 2010 in addition to bringing it to Disneyland.

krankenstein

I could see it going a few different ways:

1)EO put into place, draws crowds, but main pavilion is still bypassed. Nothing big happens

2)As said above, EO put in, increases crowds and main redo is postponed

3)Pavilion re-done, EO opens while JII is closed. Once JII reopens, EO closes to be redone (this could be beneficial by splitting the budget over a couple years)

4)Nothing happens

5)Pavilion is completely redone with EO never making it to the pavilion

I would hope for #3 or #5

If they do what I have heard the plans for JII calls for, EO could not be open when the ride closes b/c the theater will become part of the ride.

lazyboy97o

I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL if this is Disney's thoughts, especially for DL, HISTA has been LOOONG outdated and there's no new reason for people to see it, on the other hand, Disney thinks MJ freaks will want to see Captain EO again, hence delaying any need to make a new attraction in HISTA's place for at least a year or even more possibly.
I too would not be surprised at seeing Captain EO, should it return, staying less than a year. Disney does have a more liberal view on "temporary" than most others.

JimboJones123

EO -- I can still see it on YouTube anytime, and the first 5-7 minutes are paper thin. The pre-CGI effects are embarassing.

They would be better off putting in the Rancor scene from ROTJ in 3D instead.

With how easily studios are throwing together 3d movies these days, have Disney/Pixar add a 3d Figment movie already. Of you aren't willing to restore the glory of the original attraction, at least creat a 3D movie with the exact same story, Dreamfinder and all. I could not imagine it would cost more than 10 mil or maybe far less to throw it together. Then you get away without a huge ride rehab and bring back a classic.

aladdin2007

I have a feeling were stuck with the current lame ride for quite some time to come. Just a feeling. Especially since Lutz article states they are planning on keeping the institute theme and ride while just shoehorning in EO, if EO gets greenlit for here. I know hes not always correct, but it does sound more and more like Disney continues looking for an excuess to not have to deal with the ride. :brick: Or is it Kodak? Come on Kodak pay up! You too Siemens for your own SE issues!

aladdin2007

sorry i just reread that article and Lutz was referring to the Institute theme in Disneyland Honey I Shrunk the Audience, not here specifically at Imagination.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom