Will Disneyland USA suffer? ALL Of Disney's Theme Parks Now Closed - Reopening Dates Unknown

Nirya

Honestly, the US's big advantage here is sheer size. We have major metropolitan centers like most of the world, and those have been hit hard to varying degrees (NYC is particularly a big problem right now) but those cities are pretty spread out geographically. This is not to say death rates won't rise here (for example, Louisiana is posting a similar deaths/million rate to NYC right now), and that it won't spread to areas without a ton of cases (one side effect of NYC getting hit hard has been migration down to Florida, which could get hit really hard in the coming weeks because of this), but the population centers here aren't as clumped together as they are in Europe/Asia.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Numbers from across the pond are in for Wednesday, and death rates rose again markedly today in Europe. Italy hit hard with another 700 deaths today, but also the BeNeLux countries and France saw a few hundred deaths each, etc.

When you are a rich but tiny country like the Netherlands with only 19 Million people, less than the population of SoCal, it really hurts.

More people to pray for...…:angelic:

BrianLo

China is sitting at 2 deaths per million FYI, if the US needs a country to beat. It's a bit obscured in large population, large landmass countries.

New York state currently has 38.3 deaths per million.

Expectantly the US death toll is going to continue to rapidly double, but small countries with heavy breakouts will proportionally remain difficult to catch up to for a while.

Italy's caseload is under reported by 5-10x. Versus US probably 3-5x right now. Versus South Korea, which are theoretically fairly 1:1.

D

Deleted member 107043

New York state currently has 38.3 deaths per million.

Frankly this seems like a more appropriate metric to use when comparing the US outbreak to other countries, especially since state governers and local mayors are currently doing the heavy lifting with the national response, and there's no federal medical apperatus to deal with the surge of sick individuals.

Last edited by a moderator:

TP2000

Original Poster
Stats are in for today from across the pond. Mortality rate per one million citizens rose again by double digits in Italy and Spain. France moved up higher above the Netherlands now, but the BeNeLux countries continue to also get hit hard. South Korea fell off the list as their numbers held at 2.5, but was replaced by a rapidly rising Germany.

Deaths Per One Million Citizens 3/26
Italy = (+12.0) 136 Deaths Per Million 🇮🇹
Spain = (+18.4) 93.4 Deaths Per Million 🇪🇸
Iran = (+1.9) 27.3 Deaths Per Million 🇮🇷
France = (+5.4) 25.3 Deaths Per Million 🇫🇷
Netherlands = (+4.3) 25.2 Deaths Per Million 🇳🇱
Switzerland = (+4.4) 22.4 Deaths Per Million 🇨🇭
Belgium = (+3.8) 19.3 Deaths Per Million 🇧🇪
Luxembourg = (+1.6) 14.8 Deaths Per Million 🇱🇺
United Kingdom = (+2.4) 8.7 Deaths Per Million 🇬🇧
Denmark = (+1.2) 7.1 Deaths Per Million 🇩🇰
United States = (+1.0) 3.7 Deaths Per Million 🇺🇸
Germany = (+0.8) 3.2 Deaths Per Million
🇩🇪

The US now has the highest amount of confirmed cases. Albeit I still suspect that Italy (and Spain) are ahead in actuality.

Yes, and with testing now being done by the hundreds of thousands across the country each day, that number will rise very rapidly. But as you can see above, it's that mortality rate per 1 Million confirmed cases that is the most important number. Western Europe is really taking the brunt of this for some reason.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

Stats are in for today from across the pond. Mortality rate per one million citizens rose again by double digits in Italy and Spain. France moved up higher above the Netherlands now, but the BeNeLux countries continue to also get hit hard. South Korea fell off the list as their numbers held at 2.5, but was replaced by a rapidly rising West Germany.

Deaths Per One Million Citizens 3/26
Italy = (+12.0) 136 Deaths Per Million 🇮🇹
Spain = (+18.4) 93.4 Deaths Per Million 🇪🇸
Iran = (+1.9) 27.3 Deaths Per Million 🇮🇷
France = (+5.4) 25.3 Deaths Per Million 🇫🇷
Netherlands = (+4.3) 25.2 Deaths Per Million 🇳🇱
Switzerland = (+4.4) 22.4 Deaths Per Million 🇨🇭
Belgium = (+3.8) 19.3 Deaths Per Million 🇧🇪
Luxembourg = (+1.6) 14.8 Deaths Per Million 🇱🇺
United Kingdom = (+2.4) 8.7 Deaths Per Million 🇬🇧
Denmark = (+1.2) 7.1 Deaths Per Million 🇩🇰
United States = (+1.0) 3.7 Deaths Per Million 🇺🇸
West Germany = (+0.8) 3.2 Deaths Per Million
🇩🇪

Yes, and with testing now being done by the hundreds of thousands across the country each day, that number will rise very rapidly. But as you can see above, it's that mortality rate per 1 Million confirmed cases that is the most important number. Western Europe is really taking the brunt of this for some reason.
And for perspective, in the United States, cancer last year caused 1,855 deaths per million vs. coronavirus currently at 3.7.

DarkMetroid567

Stats are in for today from across the pond. Mortality rate per one million citizens rose again by double digits in Italy and Spain. France moved up higher above the Netherlands now, but the BeNeLux countries continue to also get hit hard. South Korea fell off the list as their numbers held at 2.5, but was replaced by a rapidly rising West Germany.

West Germany = (+0.8) 3.2 Deaths Per Million 🇩🇪

West Germany????? What year is this?

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
TP2000 your mention of Western Europe just made me ponder something I had heard earlier....something suggesting our flu vaccine here could help reduce impact to some extent in Americans....likely nothing but makes me wonder how prevalent the flu vaccines and comparable concoctions of such are in that part of the world? I got email from University of Michigan president just now and gave me a glimmer of a silver lining, such as pharmacology students stepping up to the plate and making hand sanitizer for the UM Hospital, probably the best in Michigan, and then I have to consider how many other educated young minds are perhaps delving into new career paths, not only here but over and over again at our other higher schools of learning.... 💕 It gives me hope.....🤧🧐:bookworm:😷👍

Here is a bit from it for inspiration....
To no surprise, the U-M community has stepped up in inspiring ways. Pharmacy interns have volunteered to use their talents to make hand sanitizer for our hospitals, and we’ve developed online resources to ensure our classes continue and to allow employees to stay safe while they keep working. Many U-M researchers have stepped up to study critical aspects of COVID-19 disease mechanisms and treatment, and faculty in areas including medicine and public health have provided expertise, data, and projections to elected leaders, helping our society to be smarter and better able to slow the pandemic.

Michigan Medicine has been preparing for weeks to provide world-class care for those affected by COVID-19, opening a special unit for patients, launching in-house testing for the coronavirus, and implementing protections for our health professionals. That preparation is being tested daily, as we treat an increasing number of confirmed patients in our hospitals with a still-limited inventory of protective equipment and necessary supplies.

🙏
GO BLUE.....and gleep I never say that as I am alumni of its rival school.....:angelic:

Goodnight....flapping out to rest up for another day......;)

RobWDW1971

Sobering and accurate statistic.

Sure hope I don't catch cancer from anybody.
All about scale and perspective on the numbers.

If you want to focus only on diseases you can catch from somebody, use the 2017-2018 flu season. That year influenza caused about 187 deaths per million vs this coronavirus currently at 3.7.

Not sure about you, but I lived through those dark times of 2018. Remember the government shutdown then?! Yeah, me neither.

SoCalMort

All about scale and perspective on the numbers.

I agree totally.

I fully support, for lack of a better phrase but if this is a war, an exit strategy from our current situation that does not rely on a complete elimination of the virus either through vaccine or other means. I believe in cost/benefit analysis.

It is indeed about scale and perspective and where one's, again probably wrong phrase, ROI point is on all this.

I have no model. The best I've found is the one at the bottom of the article below that allows you to manipulate all variables and visualize the outcome for any combo. Set to its most completely unrealistic extreme worst-case settings (each sick person infects 5 others, death rate of 4%) and with no intervention whatsoever it estimates 4-5 million dead in the US (about 1.5% of our population) and about 220 million dead worldwide (2.8% of all people).

I have no idea where my ROI is on this model. I do know, no matter the settings, that it doesn't fall in April. Using a setting of 38 days from today of an aggressive near-draconian intervention, each sick person infects 2.5 others, and a death rate of 1%, you end up with maybe 500,000 in the hospital and about 250,000 dead. Give a little leeway to work and social distancing rules and maintain other settings, you'll get nearly a million dead.

Again, I don't know where my ROI point is on this but it ain't that.

Where's yours?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom