Will Disney Fight Back........?

what will be the next E ticket ride(after Mt. Everest)

• Time Racer

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • Fire Mountain

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Villian Ride

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beastly Kingdom

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

ImagineerFan04

Original Poster
I was reading some rumores from screamscape in the Universal Studios section.
We’ve added a couple of pieces of promotional art from Universal today, plus you can see a few photos taken of the construction walls here. There also seems to be a slight debate over the name of the actual ride itself. We’ve heard that there may be a minor skirmish between the Hollywood and Orlando parks over who gets to use what exact name, while the official press release says that both rides are named ‘Revenge of the Mummy”. Meanwhile, an internal release in the employee newsletter calls it simply, “Mummy: The Ride”.
(5/21/03) A Screamscape reader sent us a small and short video capture showing off two computer rendered scenes from The Mummy ride.
(5/19/03) “3000 Years In The Making”... The Mummy will return in 2004. Universal has described the new ride as a fusion of “Roller Coaster Technology, Space Age Robotics and “Live” Pyrotechnic Special Effects”. The rides in both Hollywood and Florida will be similar, though it is clear that the space available in Florida will allow for a much bigger ride. The ride itself will indeed feature LIMs to propel the car from scene to scene, both forward and backwards it seems. All the while you will be haunted by ‘the most advanced animatronics ever engineered”. They are keeping the ride’s story under wraps for now as well as a few surprises they want to keep close to the vest until it opens. “unsuspecting guests will be swept into a terrifying underworld of ancient Egypt awash in deadly curses, powerful forces of nature and vengeful creatures intent on wreaking havoc. Adding to the terror will be the mystery of two of the ride’s scenes, which will not be made public until the attraction debuts.” One scene they are very proud of however is a room that will have a “ceiling of flame” only inches above you burning at up to 2000 degrees. They also mention that you may not experience the exact same scenic elements each time you ride. One effect that you wont miss however is a large robotic skeleton warrior who will leap onto your vehicle itself. If it is half as good as it sounds, this ride could change the way we look at coasters and dark rides.
I was woundering if disney will fight back like they did when superman opened(a few years later disney opens Mission:Space that has new simulator technology). Since this ride seems to sound like this coaster will be technoly advanced will disney make a ride to beat it ( maybe the rumored Time Racer.

Tell me what you think. Thanks

PhotoDave219

I think that the next thing to happen will be the still-rumored move of the Auto stunt show to MGM from Paris. That will give each of the parks a new attraction, starting with M:S, Mickey's Philharmagic, and E:E.

From there, i'm not too sure how quickly E rides will come; more than likely the next thing after that might be the rumored Spain pavilion in the WS and the rumored Stitch makeover of AE at MK. (JHM has a piece on that in one of his columns today saying that Stitch is a go as well as a nice plug for this website. I know JHM is extremely unpopular on this site, but i think he's right on this one)

I think a lot of what Disney does next has to do with how fast attendence comes back to pre 9/11 levels. If the proverbial cash-cow resturns to graze in the Disney pastures, then maybe some of the more farfetched rumors such as the Matterhorn comming to the MK, Project Gemini or the Beastly Kingdom might leave the drawing board. But until then, i think Disney is more in a wait-and-see mode before launching anything huge.

With Rasputo at the helm of WDW, it appears that Disney is making a huge turnaround - starting with its core value, customer service. CS is what sets Disney above everyone else, and thats what will keep people comming back. I think that Disney will keep its focus on "fixing" all the problems that came from Pressler's cutbacks. Once Disney regains the reputation for being the premier theme park destination, where every guest is treated special, people will continue to come back again and again.

However, entering into the coaster/ride wars with universal is like the cold war arms race, but that just taxes the resources of each company. Disney can outspend Universal, but that might kill both companies in the process.

CTXRover

Originally posted by ImagineerFan04

I was woundering if disney will fight back like they did when superman opened(a few years later disney opens Mission:Space that has new simulator technology). Since this ride seems to sound like this coaster will be technoly advanced will disney make a ride to beat it ( maybe the rumored Time Racer.

I don't know what will come next, but Disney is opening 3 major attractions in the next 2 to 3 years. Those being Mission:Space (Disney's most technologically advanced attraction yet), Philharmagic and Expedition: Everest. Also, there will be smaller things, such as new shows (including the new fireworks show at MK: Wishes) and possibly yet to be announced attractions (like the Stunt show possibly). I don't really think they need anything else to counter the Mummy ride. As both being coasters, Everest should easily match or surpass what the Mummy gives, at least in overall experience. One could even say the Mummy is Universal's attempt at "fighting back" against Disney's M:S and E:E.

However, if I was to guess what Disney's newest attraction could be from the list above, I would say Time:Racers, solely on the fact of all the buzz currently circulating around about this attraction.

imagineer boy

Universal claims that it will have the most advanced AAs ever engineered huh? I bet what they mean is the best AAs ever engineered by Universal.:lol:

Oh, and by the way.......

NO STITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SAVE ALIEN ENCOUNTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CTXRover

Originally posted by imagineer boy
Universal claims that it will have the most advanced AAs ever engineered huh? I bet what they mean is the best AAs ever engineered by Universal.:lol:

---Minor thread drift----

That is a possibility. Technically they aren't lying if they say they are creating the most advanced animatronics, meaning the most advanced Universal has created. Especially since Disney's animatronics are technically the copyrighted term: AUDIO-animatronics :lol: (That isn't to say the animatronic they are talking about won't be very advanced) In my opinion, the most advanced audio-animatronic I've seen would be SIR in Alien Encounter. The way that things move you would think it is a person in a costume. Not to mention that audio-animatronics alone do an entire entertaining preshow for that attraction.

Of course, Universal stretching the truth about what they've created/are creating is not really new ;). I recently read an article that made it seem that the creators of Shrek 4D were the ones who had an amazing idea to create a "4th dimension" that would pull the guests into the show and I quote:

"we came up with this idea of adding lots of special effects to create a fourth D, so the movie basically lands in your lap," says Scott Trowbridge, the Universal Parks & Resorts vice president"

Interesting, since Disney has been doing that for years :lol:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by ImagineerFan04
( maybe the rumored Time Racer.

Tell me what you think. Thanks

I wanna guess and say Time Racer may be the next big thing WDW will start working on.

I was browsing the Trademark website the other day... and they had "SSE: Timer Racers" trademarked a few months ago... and just last month they got the Trademark for "SSE: Time Racer". :)

Dayma

I was browsing the Trademark website the other day... and they had "SSE: Timer Racers" trademarked a few months ago... and just last month they got the Trademark for "SSE: Time Racer".

This may also NOT be a thrill ride. We just have to wait and see what happends in September when At&T's involvment with the ride runs out.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by blackride
This may also NOT be a thrill ride. We just have to wait and see what happends in September when At&T's involvment with the ride runs out.

It may not be a thrill ride, but it will be the next E-Ride. E-Ride and thrill ride are not synonymous...although I still think it will be a thrill ride...I only hope it keeps the same serious theme and INCREDIBLE music...god I love the music...it's beautiful.

AdLibSean

Originally posted by DogsRule!
It may not be a thrill ride, but it will be the next E-Ride. E-Ride and thrill ride are not synonymous...although I still think it will be a thrill ride...I only hope it keeps the same serious theme and INCREDIBLE music...god I love the music...it's beautiful.

I couldn't agree more. I'm not opposed to changes at the parks, but it would be a shame for the meaning (and the soundtrack for that matter ;) ) to be lost to a three minute thrill ride. I'm gonna miss SSE if it really does go.

Dayma

...I only hope it keeps the same serious theme and INCREDIBLE music...god I love the music...it's beautiful.

Fist time I heard you say this DogsRules!. I thought you didnt like SSE.

I do agree that it will be the next e-ride.

ToTBellHop

Fist time I heard you say this DogsRules!. I thought you didnt like SSE.

I do agree that it will be the next e-ride.

I am a pretty liberal person, but I do love Spaceship Earth--always the first attraction we ride at Epcot. It's one of the best Audio-Animatronic attractions, has an exceedingly interesting story (the history of the world!), and...the music...wow. I love it:)

SirNim

I got the master of the whole ride. I listen to it all the time. I agree its some of the best music in all the parks.
It absolutely is.. It's a truly phenominal score that really accentuates the story as well as or better than any other music used in any of the parks...

And, I think that Time Racers will be the next E-Ticket (not thrill attraction... I find it very inplausible that a true "thrill ride" will make its home inside the geosphere, but I'm probably wrong, eh?!), only because of all of the rumors about it as well as the fact that it has already been trademarked...

PhotoDave219

Uh, doesn't Disney trademark everything they think of, just so that nobody else takes their ideas? I'm sure that there has to be TMs that Disney has registered that never have been used.

I'm just saying that i wouldnt use the TM registration as an indicator of anything to come anytime soon.

Dayma

Uh, doesn't Disney trademark everything they think of, just so that nobody else takes their ideas? I'm sure that there has to be TMs that Disney has registered that never have been used.

Thats my thought also. I have said that in the past and people always argue that point. It is extremly cheap for a company to trademark ideas. For a company to trademark names they may never use is very very common. Has anyone seen a trademark for Everest? Just being curious!

Thats however does not mean that SSE will not have work done on it in some shape and form. It may not be called SSE: Time Racers or SSE: Time Racer but I think something is going to change.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by PhotoDave219

I'm just saying that i wouldnt use the TM registration as an indicator of anything to come anytime soon.

Disney has dozens if not hundreds even thousands of things they have trademarked that never came to be, or saw the light of day.

Uh, I am not using the TM registrations as a indicator for anything... I said, "I wanna guess..." assume... etc...

Uh, I did not say "I know for shure" or "that its concrete".

WDWspider

Often the names that are never used for original ideas may help inspire new attractions down the road. Sometimes the same names are used later for shops, restaurants, or new ideas. Just because Disney copyrights something doesn't mean there is a guaranteed attraction attached, it just means they think the name is good enough to hold onto before someone else uses it.

WDWspider

Originally posted by DMC-12
I KNOW!

Sorry, if it makes you feel better I have not read any more posts than your last, I thought I was supporting you. :brick:

I was just making a comment that's all. I remember seeing a few shared names from WDW that are used at Disneyland for something totally different and vice versa, that's all.

WDWspider

Whoops, I read everything and now I understand how I came across DMC, sorry. I voted Time Racer too though. :D

I see your point... if they are getting nit-picky about copyrghting all different types of Time Racer spellings, then something must be up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom