Will Discovery/Treasure Island Ever Be Seen Again?

scpergj

Ok...

I read this thread and had an idea I needed to check on Google Earth to confirm would work. Discovery Island and River Country are right next to each other. Could they conect the two with a bridge - high enough for the boats to go under? That would yeild a pretty large area for something interesting - a water park, themed mini-park, PI replacement........

Mouseketeer #1

Original Poster
Ok...

I read this thread and had an idea I needed to check on Google Earth to confirm would work. Discovery Island and River Country are right next to each other. Could they conect the two with a bridge - high enough for the boats to go under? That would yeild a pretty large area for something interesting - a water park, themed mini-park, PI replacement........

Actually sounds like an interesting idea...one that would cost a lot of money, but still an interesting idea. I was never able to go to either the island or RC so I would love that!

DisneyGuyNYC

Ok...

I'd be all for this if I wasn't 100% sure it wouldn't end up as DVC or some franchise nonsense.

neoshinok

Random drift, but I read this a while back and found it interesting: a species of bird called the Dusky Seaside Sparrow reached the end of its existence on Discovery Island. It is widely considered to be the most recent, well-documented extinction of a vertebrate in the United States.

From wikipedia:
In 1983 the last four living dusky seaside sparrows were taken to Walt Disney World Resort, to continue crossbreeding and living out their days in a protected habitat on the Discovery Island nature reserve. By March 31, 1986, only one male remained. Despite being blind in one eye, he reached extreme old age for a sparrow, living at least nine years, and possibly as many as thirteen, before dying on June 17, 1987.

Very sad, but interesting read if you have time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dusky_Seaside_Sparrow

BryceM

Random drift, but I read this a while back and found it interesting: a species of bird called the Dusky Seaside Sparrow reached the end of its existence on Discovery Island. It is widely considered to be the most recent, well-documented extinction of a vertebrate in the United States.

From wikipedia:
In 1983 the last four living dusky seaside sparrows were taken to Walt Disney World Resort, to continue crossbreeding and living out their days in a protected habitat on the Discovery Island nature reserve. By March 31, 1986, only one male remained. Despite being blind in one eye, he reached extreme old age for a sparrow, living at least nine years, and possibly as many as thirteen, before dying on June 17, 1987.

Aw... :(

DisneyGuyNYC

From wikipedia:

Well this is incredibly depressing. This whole topic is just sad.

Mouseketeer #1

Original Poster
Something that rarely if ever happens! My father worked with the Corp of Engineers and whole projects would be canned due to an endangered species home being found.

I agree, they would never move endangered species. However I am not aware of any endangered species that still remain on this island and use it as the primary habitat. It is highly unlikely that they would remain on this one random island in the entire state of Florida with thousands of lakes and islands.

RonAnnArbor

There exist pictures of maps from the first few years of MK being open that indicated that they had plans to put a resort on the island...all the resorts they planned in that area were eventually scrapped...

PhotoDave219

As the story goes, Walt was flying in the company jet above Florida to find the perfect place for development, and he spotted what we now refer to as Discovery/Treasure Island and decided that that was the area where the resort would be constructed. In 1999, when it officially closed down and the animals were moved to Animal Kingdom (where the area known as Safari Village was changed to become known as Discovery Island), they closed the gates and now threaten litigation and banishment from Disney property should anyone trespass on the island. Ever since then, no one has really seen or heard anything about it. So what is going on there? Any ideas? Future development or will it sit abandoned for good?

The islands arent going anywhere; I see them every time I go to MK. They're ISLANDS, we cant exactly tow them backstage.

Mouseketeer #1

Original Poster
The islands arent going anywhere; I see them every time I go to MK. They're ISLANDS, we cant exactly tow them backstage.

Obviously they're not going anywhere. I never said the island was going to go anywhere. I am simply asking for people's opinion or rumors about what Disney plans to use the island for in the future. It seems a large waste to let such a cool area that was discovered by Walt himself to go to waste like it is.

RonAnnArbor

That was back in the day, though, that the only thing that was being planned was the magic kingdom...the focal point of the theme park area is no longer the lakes, nor even that area of their massive landholdings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom