Will Discovery/Treasure Island Ever Be Seen Again?

Lord Pheonix

If Disney were smart they would plus the island into a more overall Tom Sawyer theme with lots of interactive components!

I think what they did to the BTMR is great and something along the lines could be utilized here!

so instead of haveing a unique attraction we would have a double of something else, allbeit bigger???? no offence but id rather them leave it the way it is then do that.

Occasional Guest

After seeing this post I read the Wiki article and the blog about the 2009 covert operation to explore it. I find it interesting that Disney took the idea of this small scale park and turned it into Animal Kingdom. Maybe they could turn it into a high priced John Carter adventure. It was really hard to type that while laughing so hard I was crying.

juniorthomas

There are so many fantastic ideas for using this space. Since nothing has happened after all of these years, all I can say with any authority is that TDO STILL does not have a WDWMagic membership. What gives?!

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
I think it'd be fun to see the island redesigned as a kind of pirate-themed treasure hunt or interactive experience, with trails and special effects to set off, that kind of thing. Or maybe have build a pirate-themed village which can turn into a kind of shopping/nightlife experience for the Magic Kingdom resorts, with old taverns and saucy ladies.

Or both. Treasure Island by day, Pleasure Island by night ;)

I couldn't agree more. I always thought it would be cool to make it a night time destination for adults, for everyone of course, but more specifically for the guests staying at the MK resorts like you said. Pre Pleasure Island at DTD the MK resorts seemed to have more things for adults to do at night (night time entertainment at Top of the World, nightly live Hawaiian music at the Poly, etc.). It could be a real/new Pleasure Island with live bands outdoors, etc. Plus since it's out there in Bay Lake away from everything, noise shouldn't be an issue.

I don't know how much of a draw it would be, but if it served one purpose during the day and another at night, maybe it could be justified.

doctornick

Yeah, they wanted to partner with the creators of the game Myst "to create a cutting-edge interactive experience to be called 'Myst Island'." Development never got past the original design stages, though. I think that would have been cool, but maybe it would be cooler to have an actual Disney themed island like a pirate treasure hunt or maybe a little camp ground.

Wasn't there also talk of a Lost (the TV show) experience on that island?

Lord Pheonix

but this island is to small for all those proposals. it isnt big enough to hold a 5th park type plan or pleasure island attraction, even a disney boardwalk type park, unless u clearcut the entire island and cram in buildings from shore to shore. but if you were to make it a pirates themed excursion or whatever you would call the type of attraction tom sawyer island is, this would be perfect for that. i would pay an extra amount to go here at night for a "real pirate treasure island" type attraction, simular to KS in AK but without the vehicles. walking tour thats scripted.

Lord Pheonix

it occured to me, even if it were a seasonal halloween frightfest thru the "haunted woods". that would be cool too. at least they would be doing something with the space, and they wouldnt need to relocate any of the endangered wildlife. all the walkways and most buildings are still there, so it wouldnt take much to get something operational. just a little cleanup and re-theming

Mouseketeer #1

Original Poster
but this island is to small for all those proposals. it isnt big enough to hold a 5th park type plan or pleasure island attraction, even a disney boardwalk type park, unless u clearcut the entire island and cram in buildings from shore to shore.

Obviously it is big enough considering that they had the Discovery Island area on it, which included restrooms, snack bars, and exhibits with lots of extra room. The island is 11.5 acres for goodness sake! Plenty of room for a pirate themed attraction or maybe even the Peter Pan's Neverland idea (which I really like) mentioned above. The island isn't really that small, and although clear-cutting and putting a bunch of buildings on it would be really ugly, they could do some kind of forest or woods themed attraction.

Lord Pheonix

yeah i like the peter pan idea too. and we are in agreement, we are just saying it in different ways. all i meen is its to small for a pleasure island (like dtd) or boardwalk clone. something that keeps the wilderness/jungle/forest feel to the place without haveing to clear most of it to build. picture the existing tom sawyer island look and feel transplanted here. small paved pathways, rustic/rugged path lights, imagination inspiring attractions, (like the fort on tsi), a complete walk thru experiance.

Mouseketeer #1

Original Poster
yeah i like the peter pan idea too. and we are in agreement, we are just saying it in different ways. all i meen is its to small for a pleasure island (like dtd) or boardwalk clone. something that keeps the wilderness/jungle/forest feel to the place without haveing to clear most of it to build. picture the existing tom sawyer island look and feel transplanted here. small paved pathways, rustic/rugged path lights, imagination inspiring attractions, (like the fort on tsi), a complete walk thru experiance.

That makes sense. And yeah, I love the idea of a Tom Sawyer Island-like attraction with the paths and stuff. That would be so cool

doctornick

I think the pirates themed idea makes the most sense. Could it be piggie backed onto the Pirates Cruise that Disney already has in the Seven Seas Lagoon?

Where did boats leave from to get to Discovery Island? Ft. Wilderness?

Prince-1

I went there as a kid and I hated the place then. I wanted to go to MK and ride the rides and instead I was forced to walk around and see nature stuff!!! My inner kid says to burn it down and make it a parking lot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom