Will an Atlantis ride be built?

Moustronaut

JimboJones123 said:
I hear it's in the works for DisneySea -- they get all the good rides!
Well TDS doesn't have an Atlantis ride but many of thematic elements of Mysterious Island. Looking at the machinery and fixtures of this "land" at DisneySea, you can certainly see they came from the same art department.

KumbaRider

sniggle74 said:
Oh, Lee! Always taunting us with what coulda/shoulda been :lol:

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks for the reminder of what was lost. Any new momentum of other projects we should be aware of PLEEEEEEEEASE! :D

Agreed.

JimboJones123

they could build a rotating ride with the flying sharks attached to a pole in the middle and spin in circles and even go up and down -- that ride would be GREAT!

ballewclan

JimboJones123 said:
they could build a rotating ride with the flying sharks attached to a pole in the middle and spin in circles and even go up and down -- that ride would be GREAT!

This may sound stupid but if they made like a atlantis one where it could also go underwater, like when you say go down it would go down, down, down and go underwater as it spins, like it would be glass encased.

Well i think its cool. :lookaroun

JimboJones123

ballewclan said:
This may sound stupid but if they made like a atlantis one where it could also go underwater, like when you say go down it would go down, down, down and go underwater as it spins, like it would be glass encased.

Well i think its cool. :lookaroun

that actually would be kinda sweet -- giant fish tank -- top load

1disneydood

I have doubts about the safety involving a ride that goes completely underwater all day every day. :lookaroun

Jut imagine a long E-stop while the pods are underwater. That would be scarier than AE ever was. People would freak. :eek:

MickeyTigg

Ummmm....

Hey...you Atlantis-heads....were you the people that loaded the vote on Inside the Magic for the ride people would like to see turned into a ride or attraction?

Atlantis finished 2nd for some bizarre reason.

:lookaroun

thimblekisses

Did anyone bring up the fact that Sea World has a big ride themed around the story of Atlantis? Sure it's no Disney movie or anything, but that might seem a little. . . copy cat? I don't know.

Bytowner

I disagree that a ride at Disney MUST be somehow related to a movie that is considered a "success". Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad are not based on specific films. Splash Mountain is based on Song of the South, a film that Disney continues to refuse to re-release in North America. Haunted Mansion, the ride, came out long before the film, which was a flop, ever did. In fact, Tower of Terror also had a movie flop associated with it.

But what rides have the successful films become? Well, there's Stitch's Great Escape, a ride everyone agrees is awful. There's the Peter Pan ride (yawn) and the Winnie the Pooh ride (another yawn) for the kiddies.

Let's face it, a movie's success doesn't guarantee a great ride and sometimes an unknown Disney film can be the basis of a great ride. Rides and movies are such different experiences, in any event, that I wonder why they bother to link the two.

Bytowner

thimblekisses said:
Did anyone bring up the fact that Sea World has a big ride themed around the story of Atlantis? Sure it's no Disney movie or anything, but that might seem a little. . . copy cat? I don't know.

Disney could up the ante on that one considerably. They could clear out the old River Country water park site and build a water park related to Atlantis. It wouldn't have to be based on the characters, just the fabulous architecture from the film and those great Sentinels that circled the city...

Pongo

Bytowner said:
There's the Peter Pan ride (yawn) and the Winnie the Pooh ride (another yawn) for the kiddies.

I'm sure that's why they have the two longest waits in Fantasyland.

Besides, why are we still posting in a four-year-old thread?

Brian_B

Bytowner said:
Let's face it, a movie's success doesn't guarantee a great ride and sometimes an unknown Disney film can be the basis of a great ride. Rides and movies are such different experiences, in any event, that I wonder why they bother to link the two.

Agreed. Plus, AE wasn't a movie - and plenty of us disneyheads seem to LOVE it...

An atlantis-themed ride would be awesome because it has a lot of potential to tell a great, immersive story. This is coming from someone who has never laid eyes on the film.

- Brian

MartyMouse

If you think back to when Disneyland (and Walt Disney World) first opened the only land to have rides based on films was Fantasyland (yes I remember the Swiss Family Tree House, but that came after DL opened), until recent years the other lands had been untouched (for the most part) and they were all the better for it … Aladdin is so out of place where they built it, but that’s another topic.

In defense of Splash Mountain, Song of the South is huge overseas and zip-a-dee-doo-dah is a true Disney Classic song.

But to Atlantis yes they should build a ride (however I would recommend Disney/MGM) not because the movie was a big hit but because the look and feel of the film would fit perfectly with a great water based thrill ride. Disney could build the ride keep it going for a few years and then re-release the movie and perhaps it would perform better at the box office and then on home video (or whatever format the future will have in-store for us).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom