Will an Atlantis ride be built?

MartyMouse

TiggerRPh said:
Fantasia was ahead of it's time....it became a decent success in the 60's. Atlantis was just a bad movie.
No - Atlantis was a great film, it just needed to be about an hour longer or a mini-series. The story was way to complex to fit into such a short movie with so many characters. Naturally without a longer running time and with so many characters, the film … well … wasn’t all that it could have been. But look at it for what it was – a fantastic sci-fi story with great (under developed) characters and some amazing design work, the sub was incredible (for the pathetically short amount of screen time it had). Treasure Planet was a far better film but I think that people’s feelings about Atlantis turned them off to the movie. However out of Disney’s last few animated films (3 of which were Sci-Fi) the worst was that cow movie oh my gosh, that’s one movie that will never see a ride.

MickeyTigg

MartyMouse said:
No - Atlantis was a great film, it just needed to be about an hour longer or a mini-series. The story was way to complex to fit into such a short movie with so many characters. Naturally without a longer running time and with so many characters, the film … well … wasn’t all that it could have been.

That's what made it a bad movie...it was a good concept, just not done very well. If the story was too complex for a 96 minute move, the script/story needed to be simplified...or as you said made into a longer movie...or made into two movies.

You can't gage a movie for what it could have been, you have to grade it for what it turned out to be. For what it is...it's a bad movie.

CThaddeus

MartyMouse said:
No - Atlantis was a great film, it just needed to be about an hour longer or a mini-series. The story was way to complex to fit into such a short movie with so many characters. Naturally without a longer running time and with so many characters, the film … well … wasn’t all that it could have been. But look at it for what it was – a fantastic sci-fi story with great (under developed) characters and some amazing design work, the sub was incredible (for the pathetically short amount of screen time it had). Treasure Planet was a far better film but I think that people’s feelings about Atlantis turned them off to the movie. However out of Disney’s last few animated films (3 of which were Sci-Fi) the worst was that cow movie oh my gosh, that’s one movie that will never see a ride.

Actually, the only real problem I had with "Atlantis" the movie was that it was a complte rip-off of "Stargate" the movie. Here are the plots...see if you don't agree:

Stargate - Nerdy professor Daniel is someone nobody believes in. He spends his time trying to get people to accept his idea that a Stargate exists that will transport people to a place to help explain our past. He speaks and can translate a foreign tongue no one else knows. A mysterious woman appears who gives him the oppotunity to prove himself right. A top secret team is put together to travel to this other planet. While there, they meet up with local inhabitants who are primitive by our standards and who speak the language Dr. Jackson knows. He also meets a beautiful native, and of course they fall in love. The team dislikes him, however, and eventually, they turn on him. He saves the people of the planet from a great threat, and also manages to convince his mutinous team to help him. All ends happily, and he stays in this new world to be with the woman he loves.

Atlantis - Nerdy school employee Milo is someone nobody believes in. He spends his time trying to get people to accept his idea that Atlantis exists, and by finding it we can find a link to our past. He speaks and can translate foreign tongues no one else knows. A mysterious woman appears who gives him the opportunity to prove himself right. A top secret team is put together to travel to Atlantis. While there, they meet up with local inhabitants who are primitive by our standards and who speak languages Milo knows. He also meets a beautiful native, and of course they fall in love. The team dislikes him, however, and eventually, they turn on him. He saves the people of the planet from a great threat, and also manages to convince most of his mutinous team to help him. All ends happily, and he stays in this new world to be with the woman he loves.

Interestingly, the new Stargate TV series is called "Atlantis." Coincidence?
As for whether or not an attraction should be built, sure, why not? As long as they don't focus too heavily on the movie's plot, they'll probably be okay. I was always kind of disappointed the Submarine Voyage (and 20K) overlay with Atlantis never came to pass. I thought that was the perfect way to update the attraction and still keep it somewhat futuristic. Now, with Disneyland putting in the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, it won't really fit very well in Tomorrowland.
Finally, I liked "Home on the Range" (except for the country music) and I think it could make for a pretty great attraction - a Frontierland mine car roller coaster-style ride. It might not work, though...perhaps a bit too similar to Thunder Mountain. Maybe a more kiddie-oriented attraction. A faster-than-usual dark ride, or something similar.

MartyMouse

CThaddeus said:
Actually, the only real problem I had with "Atlantis" the movie was that it was a complte rip-off of "Stargate" the movie.
Now, with Disneyland putting in the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, it won't really fit very well in Tomorrowland.
Finally, I liked "Home on the Range" (except for the country music) and I think it could make for a pretty great attraction - a Frontierland mine car roller coaster-style ride. It might not work, though...perhaps a bit too similar to Thunder Mountain. Maybe a more kiddie-oriented attraction. A faster-than-usual dark ride, or something similar.

I never thought of the Stargate comparisons, I don’t think that Atlantis was a direct rip-off, but you’re right about how close the early parts of the plots are however the motivations of the “team” is completely different between the two films. I think what I find the most attractive about Atlantis was the design of the sets and characters for that reason I fell that this movie would provide Disney with so much ride potential.
As far as the cow movie goes, I just don’t see it, the only redeeming part of that film was the horse.
On another note I don’t think that Disney should put movie based attractions in Frontierland, it would damage the ambiance, much like Aladdin did with Adventureland.

matthea

my two cents

I have been a long time reader (lurker) here and just finally signed up.
I wanted to add me 2 cents to this.
Atlantis was a great idea, but it was lacking in some areas. If Disney was to create anything based on Mike Mignola's concept art I'd be thrilled. It's beautiful work!
As for the Stargate comparison...yes there might be some similarities, but had anyone checked this out??

Seems like a rip off to me!
http://www.thesecretofbluewater.com/atlantis-i.htm

make sure to click on the image comparisons at the bottom of the page...

Riverone

I had also noticed the Stargate-Atlantis connection. As conspiracy theorists, perhaps we should begin to refer this scandal as Atlantis-Gate! Kidding.
Anyways, I saw a model and a poster for an Atlantis themed attraction that utilized the existing Sublagoon, Track, and Ride Vehicles. The difference, however, was that at each porthole was a mechanical arm that riders could use to attempt to scoop up treasure during the ride. A undersea volcano was to shake the treasure loose from the mechanical arms during the climax of the attraction. (Although the way I relayed what I saw to my fellow cast members back in '02 was that an AudioAnimatronic Michael Eisner grabed all the treasure back from the passing subs)
Atlantis would make an exciting attraction, whatever we may think of the movie. Just being underwater would be an improvement. Seriously, I could hold my breath for the brief amount of time they spend in subs in the movie!

Tim G

Keep those Cards and letters coming... if only it was for sake of US Mail...

It could be build, but alas it won't... At least... probably not in the US.

Tim G

I just responded... like a Disney m... errr... Like a robot... :D :D :D

See??? I'm human after all :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PKD

But what rides have the successful films become? Well, there's Stitch's Great Escape, a ride everyone agrees is awful. There's the Peter Pan ride (yawn) and the Winnie the Pooh ride (another yawn) for the kiddies.

Though Peter Pan is an old ride compaired to what they have now, it's still a nice classic and fun for all ages. Winnie the pooh.... that's a can no one wants to open!

Jerm

Hold it are we actually talking about Atlantis again?????? Wow this has to be the oddest resurrection ever!!!

J

Greenlawler

I would imagine that most of the time a disney flick appears on the big screen a certain those who have the common intrest in the film, and the parks always hope for a ride. Atlantis is so far down the pecking order now. I think its hanging out just above Black Cauldron, Treasure Planet and Oliver and Company (of course no offense to these films lets just be honest here). Wait.... this has inspired a post idea....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom