Will a fifth gate ever be built at WDW?

Will a fifth gate ever be built at WDW? If so, when will it open?

• Total voters

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

DisneyHead123

In the long long term, like the next century, who knows what will happen with anything?

Within, say, the next three decades, my guess is that Disney will expand in Orlando but not with parks, or at least parks in the traditional sense. I could see something like a more elaborate, themed, and ticketed Disney Springs, for example, with a focus on festivals and the kind of themed dining that was previously reserved for cruises. I think when it comes to rides, though, they will add to or rebuild existing parks. HS and AK are still kind of sparse in terms of attractions, for example, they could add quite a bit there if they were looking to do so.

DisneyFanatic12

The dilemma to me is that they have every theme that I can imagine covered. Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom cover fairytales, the future, adventure, animals, the world, traveling, and much more. Hollywood Studios fits every movie, or at least it does nowadays. To me, the only idea for a fifth gate that makes some sense is a villains themed park, but a villains themed area makes more sense as a land or mega land for me.

Besides coming up with an idea for an entire new gate, they have the issue of the expense to build up all of the infrastructure for the 5th gate, as well as staffing for the new gate. Building new lands and attractions seems to generate as about much demand as a new gate containing that land would, and these lands can be appended on to existing parks without the already mentioned costs of infrastructure and various other expenses.

In the current state, it makes no sense to build a 5th gate. There just does not yet seem to be an idea that wouldnโ€™t fit in an existing park, nor a reason to spend the money to build a new gate. However, I do think that a 5th gate, however implausible it seems today, may be built in the future.

Iโ€™ll add this in as another curve to the question before I finish my post. As of now it seems that we are all considering a new gate in a very limited sense. Universal considers Volcano Bay a gate/park, and I do believe that Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach may one day be rebuilt or replaced by a new waterpark, which would be a new gate but obviously not the 5th gate that is often mentioned.

So there we go, my extended rambling on this question. To me, a 5th gate is awfully far fetched today, but may be plausible in the future. The costs associated with a new gate, as well as an abundance of areas to expand upon of their existing parks, push me away from seeing a 5th gate as a possibility anywhere in the near future. With that being said, I do think a 5th gate could happen eventually, but that would be a long ways down the road.

Vinnie Mac

The dilemma to me is that they have every theme that I can imagine covered. Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom cover fairytales, the future, adventure, animals, the world, traveling, and much more. Hollywood Studios fits every movie, or at least it does nowadays. To me, the only idea for a fifth gate that makes some sense is a villains themed park, but a villains themed area makes more sense as a land or mega land for me.
I've always imagined a fifth gate being a park similar to world showcase (lands centered around a big lagoon) themed around WORLDS from different IP's.

gitchard

I have always thought they should make a fifth gate geared more to teenagers and young adults. Have it be more roller coasters and thrill rides.

Since villain events have been popular, they could have the park revolve around the villains. They could use the Isle of The Lost from The Descendants franchise for ideas and model.

Disstevefan1

Probably never, but I voted 2040s or beyond.

Today, TWDC is doing so poorly in other areas of the company, (Movies, Disney+, RCID fight, proxy fight)

Its hard to image they would do anything in WDW even if they had the money.

Weather_Lady

Despite Disney's best efforts to cut back park hours, keep staffing and ride capacity at a bare minimum, and the introduction of G+ and a generous DAS policy (all of which operate to lengthen wait times for the majority of guests), two of their four parks (that is, 50%) are still less-than-a-full-day parks for all but the most inefficient of tourists. Adding a fifth park, when two of the existing parks are not yet filled out with a full day's worth of attractions, would be incredibly foolish, even by current WDW management standards.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Lots of reasons to say No, not going to happen. Uni's Epic may force Dis to do something in response. An additional land or two fitted in may be more hopeful than a 5th gate. Who knows what the future holds IF when Iger leaves and a suitable replacement is one who can turn things around. Once upon a time there were those who were satisfied with a couple of parks and doubted we would have as many parks as we have now. As the saying goes....Never say never.

SpectreJordan

I have always thought they should make a fifth gate geared more to teenagers and young adults. Have it be more roller coasters and thrill rides.

Since villain events have been popular, they could have the park revolve around the villains. They could use the Isle of The Lost from The Descendants franchise for ideas and model.
They should just turn DHS into this. I'd say it's already a bit there because of rides like Tower & RnRC. TSL would be the Seuss Landing equivalent.

I don't foresee Disney opening a 5th park anytime, it's been 26 years now & not a peep in regard to that. It might be possible one day, but it won't be anytime soon. As has been said here already, they should expand the current parks first anyway. Easier for them & makes the value of each park better for guests.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Thrill rides are to much of an arms race, I can't see that being an area Disney would want to try to compete in. Looks at the regional parks, they add a new coaster every other year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom