Will a fifth gate ever be built at WDW?

Will a fifth gate ever be built at WDW? If so, when will it open?

• Total voters

jloucks

If they wanted to, they would have by now.

Now why they do or don't is another discussion. Also, what their goal would be.

I can tell you what (gets out the off topic crowbar), adding another gate or 3 would do nothing for reducing crowding. It might even make it worse. The entire area's infrastructure would suffer.

NickMaio

I have always thought they should make a fifth gate geared more to teenagers and young adults. Have it be more roller coasters and thrill rides.

Since villain events have been popular, they could have the park revolve around the villains. They could use the Isle of The Lost from The Descendants franchise for ideas and model.
Teenagers and young adults.......you mean Uni?

WaltWiz1901

Only after they add more capacity to all four existing parks and get someone who fully cares about running theme parks in charge...both of which I, realistically thinking, am incredibly doubtful they'd do

Vclguy90

Disney won't have the capital to make a 5th gate if they keep making sequels/box office bombs and bad business decisions that the parks have to make up for. Whilst doing this, they are also going to ruin their reputation which in turn would make no point for a 5th gate.

JMcMahonEsq

Why build an entirely new park in a saturated market where you already have 4 parks that you could expand, and utilize the existing built in infrastructure at those parks? If Disney is looking to build a completely new park, as opposed to new lands in existing locations, they would be looking to place the new park in a location where it will generate new attendance/customer bases, such as potentially expanding an Asian market, or perhaps a South American park, assuming you can find a viable/stable enough place to locate it.

yensid1967

If Disney sits on IDLE while Epic Universe opens, Disney will not be able to recover from the lose of attendance due to the opening of Epic! Disney has to do something NOW and build IT in less than 5 years. IT being a new park of some sort. Maybe not in Orlando, maybe Texas to compete with Universal's regional park they are building!? Because when Epic U opens next year, attendance at WDW WILL DROP! Guaranteed! WDW may not be able to get those guests back. That's sad for a giant like Disney who has been the number 1 reason for vacations to Florida, now it looks like Universal is creeping up to take that spot away! All the crap going on with DeSantis and the removal of the Special District, why would Disney want to build another park in the state!? If Disney doesn't announce something for WDW within the next year, Disney may not be able to recover its #1 spot and might have to at least SHARE it with Universal.
If you would ask me what parks I would go to if I went right now? I think I would go to Universal and skip Disney. Disney has a lot to figure out with GENIE+...its making them money but they could still make the same amount or even more if they would just turn GENIE+ into an Express Pass type. Comparable with Universal's, I DO NOT WANT TO GET UP EARLY WHILE ON VACATION TO MAKE GENIE+ SELECTIONS AND I DO NOT WANT TO BE ON MY PHONE ALL DAY! Guests do not get to enjoy the parks as Walt intended they be. When you enter a Disney park, you are to leave the outside troubles at the gate, not carry them with you! I really hope Disney gets rid of GENIE+ and incorporates an Express Pass by 2026! Maybe the att4edance wil stay steady during the opening of Epic U!?

yensid1967

If Disney is looking to build a completely new park, as opposed to new lands in existing locations, they would be looking to place the new park in a location where it will generate new attendance/customer bases, such as potentially expanding an Asian market, or perhaps a South American park, assuming you can find a viable/stable enough place to locate it.
Why build an entirely new park in a saturated market where you already have 4 parks that you could expand, and utilize the existing built in infrastructure at those parks?
They don't even want to keep up the parks that they have now, which is BAD BAD BAD! They can't even replace the popcorn lights on MSUSA! LAZINESS
The second part of your answer: I could see them maybe building a park in Texas near the new Universal park!!

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
its-never-going-5b6212.jpg

ppete1975

Thrill rides are to much of an arms race, I can't see that being an area Disney would want to try to compete in. Looks at the regional parks, they add a new coaster every other year.
you dont want one of the roller coasters regional parks put in yearly.

Jrb1979

I wouldn't want to see a Disney park where they build a new bare-track un-themed coaster every coaster every other year because that is the only way to compete in the thrill game.
I would rather they do what Universal does and add coasters like Velocicoaster, Hagrids and the new dueling coaster.

tpoly88

The dilemma to me is that they have every theme that I can imagine covered. Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom cover fairytales, the future, adventure, animals, the world, traveling, and much more. Hollywood Studios fits every movie, or at least it does nowadays. To me, the only idea for a fifth gate that makes some sense is a villains themed park, but a villains themed area makes more sense as a land or mega land for me.

Besides coming up with an idea for an entire new gate, they have the issue of the expense to build up all of the infrastructure for the 5th gate, as well as staffing for the new gate. Building new lands and attractions seems to generate as about much demand as a new gate containing that land would, and these lands can be appended on to existing parks without the already mentioned costs of infrastructure and various other expenses.

In the current state, it makes no sense to build a 5th gate. There just does not yet seem to be an idea that wouldn’t fit in an existing park, nor a reason to spend the money to build a new gate. However, I do think that a 5th gate, however implausible it seems today, may be built in the future.

I’ll add this in as another curve to the question before I finish my post. As of now it seems that we are all considering a new gate in a very limited sense. Universal considers Volcano Bay a gate/park, and I do believe that Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach may one day be rebuilt or replaced by a new waterpark, which would be a new gate but obviously not the 5th gate that is often mentioned.

So there we go, my extended rambling on this question. To me, a 5th gate is awfully far fetched today, but may be plausible in the future. The costs associated with a new gate, as well as an abundance of areas to expand upon of their existing parks, push me away from seeing a 5th gate as a possibility anywhere in the near future. With that being said, I do think a 5th gate could happen eventually, but that would be a long ways down the road.
you make a lot of good points and building a whole new park has its own issues with infrastructure costs and EPC issues. they have a lot of room at the current parks you mentioned to add attractions, but they need to do attractions that soak up people (like the great movie ride did) so that the parks don't seem so crowded. Disney lately is becoming Bush Gardens with the attractions, short rides, low capacity and long lines. They have so much room at Animal kingdom especially in the dino land area. Just hate to see a new gate for the sake of it with 3 rides in it.

Wendy Pleakley

I can see them building a fifth gate instead of expanding and increasing capacity at the existing parks.

A fifth gate implies you need to spend 5 days at WDW. It would extend stays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom