Wilderness Lodge

markymark

Basic info required :-

Who has been and did they enjoy it. How was it for getting around to other parks, what were the facilities like etc. Just a run down of it's good and bad points please.

Ta very much.

My wife and I were there 11/27 - 12/2. The building itself is phenomenal! I think we ended up shooting at least 1-2 rolls of film just there.

Transportation was fine. Better than we have experienced at DL but worse than I've experienced at some of the other deluxes if only because they were on the monorail. For MGM, and AK you share a bus with Polynesian and GF. Epcot is a bus by itself and MK is a boat ride away. There is also a boat to Contemporary and FW. At least twice we took the first bus to the PR and then walked over to the TTC to take the Epcot Monorail just for a change of pace.

Restaurants: Roaring forks was "counter service". Not quite but close. Any hot meal is ordered and then picked up next door. Good for breakfast (cereals, fruit, coffee, etc). Whispering Canyon Cafe is NOT quiet. Think Prime Time cafe with a western theme. Breakfast is okay. Food is not hot but no where near cold. The rotisserie chicken is excellent and the best we've had in the park. We did not eat at Artist Pointe but hear it is excellent.

The pool is nice and the family of ducks that reside there is neat. The arcade is pathetic. DL had a far better arcade but I think this is a result of it being moved from a different location. We loved the room except for one item. It was right above WCC. Remember what I said about it not being quiet. That made it tough for afternoon naps or even going to bed early.

Will we go back at some point? An emphatic yes. This year? No. That is going to be the Polynesian especially since we don't have to pay for park passes this year with our APs.

Brant

Upvote 0

SleepingBeauty

The WL is such a lovely hotel. So different from any other I have ever stayed at and it definitely does not feel like you are in Florida! The lobby is spectacular with very high ceilings and totem poles and teepee lights throughout - themed very well. This hotel looks sooo good during the holidays too!

Our kids love the WL too - the geyser, the boats to MK, the hidden Mickey's etc. You can also ask about being the Flag Family for the day - lots of fun for everyone. They also have tours of the WL where you get "inside" infomation about the lodge architecture etc.

We have always had a car when staying at the WL and only use Disney transportation when using the buses to MK. We just don't like messing with the buses etc.

Hope this helps,
Rhonda

Upvote 0

tnkrbell

We really love the Wl!! We stayed there in Dec since Dl/riverside was closed! and we liked it so much we will be back in Feb!!
Go for it you will enjoy it!!

Upvote 0

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
My family and I stayed at Wilderness Lodge from 9/15/01 - 9/21/01 and we loved it. The beauty and enormity of the place is extremely impressive. The employees were all very friendly and helpful, the rooms were were very nice (can't say too much, we only used them for sleeping), and the entire atmosphere of the place was extremely relaxing. The arcade was fine, the Mercantile store was nice also. My only real complaint is with the transportation. The wait for the buses was ridiculous, roughly 20-30 minutes waiting time for the buses we needed. The boat's were more prompt than the buses. More relaxing too. I would definitely stay there again if I can get past the memories of the place since a friend who spent the week with us there the last time and roomed with me was killed this past Friday in a car accident. But, all in all, I heartily recommend Wilderness Lodge. I would try it again except I think I'd like to try staying in a monorail resort for my next visit.

Upvote 0

markymark

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info guys!

I have another question though.

Is there a hot tub, and is it any good - I shoudl point out that as far as i am concerned, this is vital!

Upvote 0

Tramp

Originally posted by markymark

Is there a hot tub, and is it any good - I shoudl point out that as far as i am concerned, this is vital!

Vital?

Mark...is that how you lure those cute CMs back to your room while the wife is at the park?

sheeesh......maybe you want some Mickey Mouse candles too...:animwink:

Upvote 0

markymark

Original Poster
Originally posted by Tramp

Vital?

Mark...is that how you lure those cute CMs back to your room while the wife is at the park?

sheeesh......maybe you want some Mickey Mouse candles too...:animwink:

LOL!

You know your own tricks best you old hound you!

(Note to self: Use hot tub to lure cute CM's back to hotel)

Upvote 0
There are two hot tubs. One is Hot and the other is Warm. Warm was fine for us. They reside between the geyser and the pool. There is a waterslide as well but we never tried it.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

markymark

Original Poster
Originally posted by EnSkywalker
There are two hot tubs. One is Hot and the other is Warm. Warm was fine for us. They reside between the geyser and the pool. There is a waterslide as well but we never tried it.

Hope that helps.

It certainly does - thanks very much.

I am really not sure what to do! it is a choice between WL and The Poly.

Upvote 0

cm1988

It certainly does - thanks very much.

I am really not sure what to do! it is a choice between WL and The Poly.

Poly! On the beam... but why not the Contemporary, where you can walk to the MK?

One thing that's nice about being "on the beam"... all three resorts on the 7 Seas Lagoon have nice restaurants and lounges. Just a monorail ride away, late into the evening.

Upvote 0

markymark

Original Poster
Originally posted by cm1988

Poly! On the beam... but why not the Contemporary, where you can walk to the MK?

One thing that's nice about being "on the beam"... all three resorts on the 7 Seas Lagoon have nice restaurants and lounges. Just a monorail ride away, late into the evening.

OK thanks.

Here we go then, which out of these three :-

Wilderness Lodge
The Poly
The Contemp

Ta very much :)

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Thanks for all the info guys!

I have another question though.

I am happy to hear WL has a hot tub. We are planing to stay there next since we are thinking about joing DVC and our home resort will be WL.

But POLY HAS NOT HOT TUB. Not one. They have this great new pool, a water play area for kids, a water slide, a place in pool with bubble and jets. BUT NO HOT TUB. Now this is a personal pet peave of mine. I really need to return to the resort and put my feet in a hot tub every night. Our last trip we stayed at poly and missed that. Just thought you should know, and I take every opprotunity to complain abou that.

:) :) :animwink:

Upvote 0

markymark

Original Poster
Originally posted by DisneyPhD

I am happy to hear WL has a hot tub. We are planing to stay there next since we are thinking about joing DVC and our home resort will be WL.

But POLY HAS NOT HOT TUB. Not one. They have this great new pool, a water play area for kids, a water slide, a place in pool with bubble and jets. BUT NO HOT TUB. Now this is a personal pet peave of mine. I really need to return to the resort and put my feet in a hot tub every night. Our last trip we stayed at poly and missed that. Just thought you should know, and I take every opprotunity to complain abou that.

:) :) :animwink:

I can't believe that there is no hot tub at the Poly! After all the work they have done on the pool area. I checked it out last September and was amazed at how good the pool area looked. I know it's a beautiful resort, but I am afraid it is a bit of a "must have" as far as I am concerned. I am like you and enjoy a relax in a hot tub after a long day having fun :)

Upvote 0

Ariel

Mark- I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge only once, but I would love to go again. It's so different. Very warm and cozy, and I would imagine it would be even more so on the "cooler" nights that sometimes happen during the winter. It's very rustic and country like, so it really depends on the theme that you're looking for. The Poly is going to be more beachy and relaxed, so just go for what you're in the mood for. The Whispering Canyone Cafe at the WL is really good, so keep that in mind, although I also have a certain fondess for Ohana at the Poly. The pool area and hot tubs are really great at the WL, especially since they overlook Bay Lake, but seeing as I haven't seen the Poly's new pool, I really can't compare them.

If the Poly is #1 for you though, I would say go for it. :)

Upvote 0

disneydentist

Attn: Disney PhD

Originally posted by DisneyPhD

You had better hurry. DVC called us a few weeks ago to say that if we were interested we had better hurry, they are almost sold out at WL. Today on mousesavers.com they posted that they will be sold out of DVC units at WL in the next two weeks. Then they begin selling them at the Beach Club followed by the just announced Disney Institute. Good Luck.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Re: Attn: Disney PhD

Originally posted by disneydentist

You had better hurry. DVC called us a few weeks ago to say that if we were interested we had better hurry, they are almost sold out at WL. Today on mousesavers.com they posted that they will be sold out of DVC units at WL in the next two weeks. Then they begin selling them at the Beach Club followed by the just announced Disney Institute. Good Luck.

Thanks for the info. We essentially heard the same thing from the DVC rep that's been calling us. She said they were "closing" the sale of WL memberships in February. If you buy before then, they'll give you last year's points or buy them back for $1500.

Upvote 0

cm1988

...which out of these three :-

Wilderness Lodge
The Poly
The Contemp

While agreeing with the posts about many great features of the Wilderness Lodge, I would prefer either of the other two simply because the rooms at the Poly and Contemporary are so large, and quiet and (repeating self) on the beam.

Sometime during my WDW stay, I'd consider a visit to Wilderness Lodge... dinner at Artist's Point (ask to be seated in the back).

For me, it's a toss-up between the Contemporary and Poly... normally would favor the Contemporary (tower room) because I like the theme... and convenience to MK. Especially nice walking back after a busy day.

:confused: Just to keep you confused, I'd say this time I'd stay at the Poly. They've just rehabbed the pool... it looks great. And the azaleas are just coming into bloom.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Hurricane

Make sure you ask about the lodge tours at check in, they have tours of the smokehouses (and they give you fresh smoke meat) and a design/architecture tour, they used to have a flag raising but insurance stopped it after some sort of hush hush accident (i think someone jumped off/fell off the roof) and ask for E-Ride nights too, theres also the keys to the kingdom tour which is only open to resort guests (forgive me i'm a bit foggy on this one) and leaves from mainstreet but i think you need to make reservations at the front desk, and i believe that there is some tour that leaves from WL lobby and comes back just as the park (MK) is opening, something backstage. Oh yea as for the facilities they are first rate, this is the hotel that Eisner (used to, not sure if he still does) stays at when he visits the park (of course he stays in the presidential suite, but still) IMO Best pool/exterior theming (and don't yell at me i've stayed at the beach club and yes its fantastic but there as for authenticity there aren't any rocks/mountains on the NC shore [as i recall themeing was done based upon the outer banks of NC])

And definatly eat at Artist Point (game sampler appetizer, plank roasted salmon w/ dill, berry dessert is quite possibly the best meal money can buy, and don't worry about getting Salmon on the east coast, they get the best cuts flown in daily, even on weekends so you avoid "no fish on monday" syndrome)

WL MAY 02
Too many others to mention

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom